Watch your surroundings -

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 08:44 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Watch your surroundings -

Guys,

please be aware of your surroundings/enviroment everywhere you go in the Lexus - three punks attempted a Carjacking on me in a parking lot but I sniffed out thier actions/plot before they could make thier move - it was right by the interstate also so they would have been long gone by the time Cops responded.

I know you can't just hotwire these Cars you HAVE to have the keys to drive off in these so someone has to physically get the keys from you.

Just be very aware in your enviroment and keep your eyes open - Im packing heat as well but Im still very cautious.

Stay safe everybody and please post anything that may help prevent or track down Carjackings - I like the little cell phone in the car trick and may do that one too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
posted tips:

JLAWS: Don't forget about using the "panic" button on the Key fob. That could have startled them and drew alot of attention of others. I have airhorns with my stock horns and it is ridiculously loud when they go off

caddyowner: drive a junker if you have to travel to a shady place. (joking!) drive a car that doesn't attract as much attention as the LS430 when you have to go to less desirable areas.

jac430: single door unlock - You can change which doors will unlock (with the smart key).
You can choose between:
* single door
* two doors on one side
* all doors
It helps if you are the only person who can get in the car.
If it is a suspicious area you can lock your door immediately after entry; the other doors were not unlocked in the first place.

airtime: On the doors, I never use my remote. I just grab the door handle to unlock my driver side. If there are passengers, I grab the rear driver side to unlock all doors.

marklouis: park in a position where you are not blocked in or have to back out - always back into a spot or pull foward to the next for a quicker exit.
Locate where the Camera's are and park in their point of view if possible.
turn your confirmation "beep" all the way down as not to attract attention to Carjackers.

Jabberwock: learn self defense in Martial Arts and beat the living stew out of your assailants if you feel your life is in imminent danger.

fergo308 when you pull up at an intersection,always leave enough distance from the car in front of you to be able to pull out and go if someone tries to come up from behind,or from alongside. crossing onto the wrong side and getting away is far better than sitting put and being attacked.

backing into a spot in a parking lot is advisable also. you can just pull straight out and go,as opposed to having to reverse out first,and then go. Also,if someone follows you to the car,you are behind the door as you get in and have covered yourself from an immediate threat. most attacks are from behind. A guy is less likely to try and attack someone that's looking them straight in the face.

EN VY Carjacking can also happen while you're driving. be aware of other vehicles that may be following you and stay more cautious when your coming to stoplights. be sure and watch behavioral patterns of those you are suspicious of.

gray_es300 even once you've left a parking lot, keep an eye out. your car could still have been targeted for carjacking, but they may wait and follow you home or your next destination until they make their move.

Last edited by Marklouis; 02-22-11 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-16-11, 08:47 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
Guys,

please be aware of your surroundings/enviroment everywhere you go in the Lexus - three punks attempted a Carjacking on me in a parking lot but I sniffed out thier actions/plot before they could make thier move - it was right by the interstate also so they would have been long gone by the time Cops responded.

I know you can't just hotwire these Cars you HAVE to have the keys to drive off in these so someone has to physically get the keys from you.

Just be very aware in your enviroment and keep your eyes open - Im packing heat as well but Im still very cautious.

Stay safe everybody and please post anything that may help prevent or track down Carjackings - I like the little cell phone in the car trick and may do that one too.

Glad you are OK and did not get ripped off. I hate crooks.
Old 02-16-11, 09:34 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Just curious, what gave you the impression that they planned to car jack you? Did they approach and then backed off because you showed them some heat?
Old 02-16-11, 09:53 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Just curious, what gave you the impression that they planned to car jack you? Did they approach and then backed off because you showed them some heat?
Curious too. Also, where was this spot i need to avoid?
Old 02-16-11, 10:05 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's always a good idea to keep your eyes peeled. These cars can attract the wrong type of attention. If I'm going someplace shady, or to Wal-Mart, I take my Subaru. Who wants to jack a slow station wagon with no window tint? I should have bought a green or champagne colored one for the complete boredom package.
Old 02-16-11, 10:34 AM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single door unlock

You can change which doors will unlock (with the smart key).
You can choose between:
* single door
* two doors on one side
* all doors

It helps if you are the only person who can get in the car.
If it is a suspicious area you can lock your door immediately after entry; the other doors were not unlocked in the first place.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jac
Old 02-16-11, 10:58 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good point. I have mine set to unlock all doors since I'm usually placing my briefcase on the floor of the backseat. I didn't realize that the two door setting was for both doors on the same side.
Old 02-16-11, 11:31 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default isn't is...

Originally Posted by caddyowner
... If I'm going someplace shady, or to Wal-Mart, I take my Subaru...
Don't you mean "If I'm going to someplace shady, LIKE to Walmart, ..." ha ha. I don't know about you, but when I have to go to Walmart to get my Mobil1 oil, I take the beater (which use to be Integra, but now is my RX300) and am still careful.

I pack heat too... those nice little handwarmer packs. It's been cold here in northeast this year, with all the snow and stuff.
Old 02-16-11, 11:34 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
If I'm going someplace shady, or to Wal-Mart
Love it Walmart can be shady.

On the doors, I never use my remote. I just grab the door handle to unlock my driver side. If there are passengers, I grab the rear driver side to unlock all doors.
Old 02-16-11, 11:58 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DDLexus

Curious too. Also, where was this spot i need to avoid?
Let's just say from previous encounters and experience they were showing the right signs - I parked in the Back forty - 2 guys follow me into the store from a distance, one guy is talking on a cellphone. I shop for a solid hour - Im at the checkout - same 2 guys walk out empty handed as I swipe my card, and that raised my awareness, so just to be absolutley certain - I walk to the exit down the other end of the store with 2 bags in my hand, walk straight out into the end of the parking lot, cut left accross the parking lot and now I am walking down back to my car. I see the same 2 guys in the distance accompanied by a 3rd person standing behind a Ford Explorer about 5 spaces up from my car looking dead at the exit - now Im on full red alert at this point. I make it to my car and unlocked it unnoticed with the help of turning down the "beep" volume from under the dash the other day for just these occasions, and as soon as I crank up they took notice real quick, I could see the shocking dissapointment in thier expressions that I made it to my car somehow and they start pacing quickly to me as I'm already pulled out of my parking space. I could see in the rear view the exagerated body language of "son of a b!%$#!!" and the classic "Mother$&#@!"

and this is the one day I leave my heat at home - but I was prepared to hightale it to safety, I was not going to cross their path. Im well trained in self-defense
but I am not hot-headed by any means, besides they could each have been packing too.

so I guess I can add 3 more pointers here:

park in a position where you are not blocked in or have to back out - always back into a spot or pull foward to the next for a quicker exit.

Locate where the Camera's are and park in their point of view if possible

turn your confirmation "beep" all the way down as not to attract attention, Carjackers will hang around in the shadows and listen for that sound specifically to make thier target.

thanks for the replies and tips fellas, in this day and age, you have to stay on your toes.

by the way DDlexus, it was the wal-mart by Rideout Rd. - I was just stopping by on the way home.
Old 02-16-11, 12:06 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by airtime
Love it Walmart can be shady.

On the doors, I never use my remote. I just grab the door handle to unlock my driver side. If there are passengers, I grab the rear driver side to unlock all doors.
another good point, I would do the same, except I do not have a master key yet. also, I kind of find it Humorous that this event actually took place in a walmart parking lot.

Last edited by Marklouis; 02-16-11 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-16-11, 12:49 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See? thats why I dont go to Walmart
Old 02-16-11, 12:50 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Well, that's the same Wal-mart that some dude gunned down an employee and his ex-girlfriend this past fall. Got to be one of the worst places around town. Its not Compton or anything, but still not a good place to be, especially at night.

Keep your eyes open...
Old 02-16-11, 12:51 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Originally Posted by airtime
If there are passengers, I grab the rear driver side to unlock all doors.
What? are you telling me that if i grab the rear door handle, it will unlock ALL doors? Hmmm, how did i miss this one.
Old 02-16-11, 12:55 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Well, that's the same Wal-mart that some dude gunned down an employee and his ex-girlfriend this past fall. Got to be one of the worst places around town. Its not Compton or anything, but still not a good place to be, especially at night.

Keep your eyes open...
True I do remember that - and you know they even tried it in broad daylight! in front of Girl scouts selling cookies. Darn Shame. what's happening to H-town man?! I would trade - off for those days at the old square anytime.

Quick Reply: Watch your surroundings -