LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Parking Assist and Rear-View Cameras - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 06:15 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Parking Assist and Rear-View Cameras - please help!

I think I'm out of my mind.

Tell me this - when you're in reverse and the rear-view camera comes on, and you come within range of another object that sets off the parking sensor, SHOULD this come up on the NAV screen as well? Or does the rear-view camera stay on? I've fooled with some setting and I swore this is how it should work:

Put the car in reverse. Rear view camera comes on. Back up close to a wall/car, then the "Park Assist" displays the appropriate part of the rear bumper that's closest to the object.

Or does this only work in the front (the display on the screen?)

Very puzzled..
Old 02-28-07, 07:30 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Anyone? If I wasn't clear before - when you put the vehicle in reverse with the backup camera, and you approach a target large enough to set off the rear parking sensors, should the Backup Camera stay on the screen or should the "Lexus Parking Assist" be on the screen?
Old 03-01-07, 04:27 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it sets off the little screen in the instrumental cluster. Check to make sure that that screen's display is on. (not sure if you can turn it off, like on the outside temp reading.)

Oh yeah, cam stays on the navi screen if im not mistakne, and that little screen i was reffering too shows the sensors condition. Will double check during my next drive.
Old 03-01-07, 05:41 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Thanks. It's displaying in the cluster, but I could have sworn that if the car is in reverse it'll show the camera, then if you back up near something the "Lexus Park Assist" screen comes on, after a slight delay, and shows you which sensors are near something.

The reason I'm going crazy is I just got my car back from getting some paint work done on the bumpers (which included painting the sensors) and I think something might be screwy. Plus I back out of my garage quite often and it's easier to look at the screen if it starts beeping vs. looking at the cluster.

I really appreciate anyone who can confirm or deny this.
Old 03-01-07, 01:36 PM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nav screen will only show parking signals while moving forward and your close to an item,, screen is changed to auto outline with sensors on and color bars as you get closer to items,,

while backing up, rear view camera is on nav screen and parking assist is located in the center lower area of the dash,, sames outline as on the nave screen in forward but just smaller and different color,,
Old 03-01-07, 08:37 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

So this confirms what I thought - it does NOT in fact have the same screen when the park assist is active going forwards as backwards.

To summarize for 04+ cars with Nav, Park Assist and backup camera:

When moving forward and approaching an object that sets off the parking assist:

The instrument cluster will show the direction of the object, and the NAV screen switches to the "Park Assist" screen showing the same thing (but in color) and there is beeping as well.

When moving BACKWARDS and approaching an object that sets off the parking assist:

The instrument cluster will show the direction of the object, BUT the NAV screen continues to display the rear-view camera, and there is beeping.

See, I was under the impression that after a short delay the rear-view camera would switch to the "Park Assist" screen also.

Shawn