LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Can anyone help me with a general direction here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 10:46 AM
CalboyF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can anyone help me with a general direction here?

Mine is a 1998 Lexus LS400. I love the smooth ride and pretty much EVERYTHING about the car so much it becomes so very difficult to buy newer cars.....

No kidding, it's really a "problem" haha.

Now, I just like to enhance the handling of the car buy adding a Cusco underbody bar or bracket...etc BUT I can't find any.

How many different ways can I improve the handling? I like to go with JDM parts. THANKS!!!!
Old 03-07-16, 10:58 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

They dont make any for the LS400 because you cant improve on it... and I know what you mean...
check this: http://www.cuscousainc.com/products/.../sway-bar.html
Old 03-07-16, 11:03 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Appears that the car pretty much satisfies and in that case my suggestion would be to not mess with it. Any changes bring a compromise some less so. If any, a 17" wheel and higher performing tire will slightly improve turn-in from the stiffer sidewall.
Old 03-07-16, 11:27 AM
CalboyF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I guess it is the way it is LOL
Old 03-07-16, 01:19 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

improve is very subjective on these forums. some are OEM purists while others modify suspension, tire/wheel, etc.

it's all in your overall goal of the car. do you want it comfortable with added road holding? or a complete track car? you cannot have both so it takes a delicate balance to get to your liking. the best and most subtle improvement in handling is what ra40 stated, upgrade to bigger wheels and tires for a slightly stiffer sidewall. then consider lowering springs.

these cars will not really benefit from additional stiffening with stock suspension.
Old 03-07-16, 02:39 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
improve is very subjective on these forums. some are OEM purists while others modify suspension, tire/wheel, etc.

on the reals though there really isn't anything (anything simple at least) you can do that'll make it suddenly become a 540i, it's just a naturally soft and squishy car. putting larger diameter wheels and lower profile tires will improve things but not by much, and now the car is less comfortable. putting H&R lowering springs will yield the same result pretty much. just don't rice it out is all i have to say. i patiently waited to find a good set of genuine (not replica) LS 430 wheels because to me anything less than genuine wheels from another LS would've diminished the character of the car.

not to sound broken record-like but leaving it stock is really the best option. my car isn't as comfortable as it was but i'm willing to sacrifice some of that in the pursuit of aesthetics, and everything i've done is easily reversible. oh and your LS "problem" is very real haha, i have it too. nothing i've been in quite matches up to the 1999 LS. even an E63 as an overall package i would put below the LS.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-08-16 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Remove rude personal comment.
Old 03-08-16, 08:30 PM
JJDAG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I'm with you all on the "Lexus problem" its just so nice to drive, I find myself looking for a reason just to drive it, Even if I were to get another car I don't think I would sell my 99 LS
Old 03-08-16, 09:07 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by JJDAG
Yes I'm with you all on the "Lexus problem" its just so nice to drive, I find myself looking for a reason just to drive it, Even if I were to get another car I don't think I would sell my 99 LS
In my opinion, I actually look forward to driving my LS all the time because it's nice to drive. I don't really feel the need for any sort of "excitement", or have the "Jeremy Clarkson" syndrome... He really thinks the LS is dull and boring, but well-engineered. [source at 10:51]

Side note: I really don't like Clarkson for this, despite the fact that they purchased two cars for the episode, a running model and a look-alike with a bad engine, and destroyed the "lesser" of the two.

Back on topic, it's the engineering that sets my mentality and actually makes me want to keep it as-is, rather than alter the ride quality because it is a luxury car, not a sports car.

Don't take me the wrong way though. This is just me and my personal thoughts.
Old 03-08-16, 11:33 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

i always had a problem him blowing that car up, if it's true that they destroyed the badly working one then i can forgive him a bit lol. i agree, driving an LS in that manner can be boring, because it's just so effortlessly smooth and incredibly isolating. if you push it a bit though and flip on ECT PWR you'll find it really has a very responsive, lively engine that smoked all it's competition back in the day.

why wouldn't you get a bmw or a benz or an audi or a jaguar he asks? the lexus will run better for longer, go faster, get better mpgs, be more comfortable, and cost less to purchase in the first place. i honestly believe "soul" is just a product of british nationalism that acts as a substitute for build quality. "get a jag, it has 'soul' and 'character' while that japanese lexus just runs perfectly all the time, how boring is that?" they know british and other euro cars always break so they need to find a way to make that a good thing and turn it into a selling point.

i say the "soul" of the LS comes from how hard it's design team worked to develop it so that it does run as beautifully as it does. the lexus takumi give it the soul, as the first lexus they needed it to be good as the future of the brand literally depended on it.
Old 03-09-16, 06:13 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

soul means imperfections, flaws, mystique, heritage, etc. these cars are old enough to have all those things now. my Ls400 has plenty of soul.

I also suffer from the similar problem most here can. I cant leave the Ls400 vortex. my girl is getting scared of it cause of age, and IS getting to that age now that it will need constant attention cause its now gone to "old car" quickly approaching "classic car". to be honest I really have zero interest in a new car. even a newer lexus. I just cant give up my Ls400. however I know I need to bite the bullet and get something newer rather I want to or not to make her feel secure and that ill be okay with taking on a long road trip. I REALLY want to get a 99-00 ucf20 before there all clapped out but she wont let me get one because "I don't want to drive a car only 5 years newer than the one we have" whatever.. ugh!
Old 03-09-16, 11:11 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

New car ? I really don't even want to ride in one. Why ? The invasive electronics and how it can be commandeered and or glitch and possibly cause your demise. Many new cars now do not let the driver have ultimate control over any aspect of operation. All control is done by the computer systems, steering, braking, transmission, engine, engine start and stop functions. And all that could have played into the Toyota acceleration issues that the mat was blamed for. And even if there was a huge red emergency button, pushing it would cause as many problems as a rouge computer would, total loss of control.
Old 03-10-16, 05:56 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

the technology in my car is limited to a stereo with a 6 disc changer, traction control, memory seats, and an outside tempature display. the only navigation I have is the stars in the night sky. thru the moonroof.