LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 LS400 Radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 03:10 PM
Akrobatik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LS400 Radio problem

Anyone have the same problem on the stock radio where when I turn the key to ACC the radio works, but once I turn the key to ON the sounds goes off but the radio and CD player still works. When I start the car, the sound still remains off. Anyone hear of this problem before?
Old 03-13-08, 03:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

blown fuse/relay
Old 03-13-08, 03:58 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup -- Check your engine compartment along with the Kick panels in the cabin.

I strongly reommend purchasing a fuse tester at an autozone/pepboys etc.. (Walmart has them.. or hardware stores).

All they do is check for current,.. You don't remove the fuse, you put the tester on top of the fuse,.. it has a light -- Light goes on if there is a current, it doesn't if not. Light doesn't come on, you pull the fuse (with the other side of the tester, handily enough) and check it visually.

I can't stress enough how much time these cheap devices save.
Old 03-13-08, 06:35 PM
Akrobatik
Driver School Candidate

I checked before, and I just double checked again with the fuse checker. But, the fuses are working. Which keeps me wondering why the sound only works when the key is turned to ACC
Old 03-14-08, 04:56 AM
Rocan
Pole Position

Sounds like a short somewhere in your system seeing how it only happens while in the ON position. it could however, be something else seeing as how this car (like every other) shuts off the radio and electronics temporarily while starting. Did you try starting the lexus and THEN turning on the radio?

P.S.
I should introduce myself- I'm David Xerri of 14 years, i live in New York City and though im young, i know a good bit about cars and have been driving for a few years now (and no not go-karts). I don't have a lexus yet but my uncles giving me his LS400 when i turn 16 in exchange for all of the countless unpaid hours of babysitting his twins that i did. im a car freak, knowing lots about all cars, and i can practically rebuild an engine. im into performance and i plan on making my LS400 a sleeper (as if it already isnt already!), including a supercharger (to avoid the huge intercooler thats required for the turbo, also low end torque is better for a car like this) a 4.7 liter block conversion, and performance parts all around. with that, i say hello to my fellow lexus fans!

Last edited by Rocan; 03-14-08 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-14-08, 09:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Rocan
Sounds like a short somewhere in your system seeing how it only happens while in the ON position. it could however, be something else seeing as how this car (like every other) shuts off the radio and electronics temporarily while starting. Did you try starting the lexus and THEN turning on the radio?

P.S.
I should introduce myself- I'm David Xerri of 14 years, i live in New York City and though im young, i know a good bit about cars and have been driving for a few years now (and no not go-karts). I don't have a lexus yet but my uncles giving me his LS400 when i turn 16 in exchange for all of the countless unpaid hours of babysitting his twins that i did. im a car freak, knowing lots about all cars, and i can practically rebuild an engine. im into performance and i plan on making my LS400 a sleeper (as if it already isnt already!), including a supercharger (to avoid the huge intercooler thats required for the turbo, also low end torque is better for a car like this) a 4.7 liter block conversion, and performance parts all around. with that, i say hello to my fellow lexus fans!
welcome to CL, methinks you need to head on over to lextreme and start reading

if it makes you feel better ive been driving a long time as well, over 7-8 years....

im 19
Old 03-14-08, 09:17 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome Rocan -- Though I hope you aren't yanking the Lexus Engine out for good in that car? Ouch -- Modify it, sure,.. swap in a non toyota built engine and I just don't know

But to each his own =)
Old 03-14-08, 10:56 AM
Rocan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neofate
Welcome Rocan -- Though I hope you aren't yanking the Lexus Engine out for good in that car? Ouch -- Modify it, sure,.. swap in a non toyota built engine and I just don't know

But to each his own =)
Thanks for the welcome. noooo way im swapping the engine, just changing out the block to a toyota tundra 4.7 liter. http://www.lextreme.com/Lexus-4.7L-Tundra-swap.html

And yes, i already know about Lextreme!

i like to performance build the stock engines on cars rather then do whole swaps- then i see the car as just a shell.

Now, back on topic!
Old 03-15-08, 06:02 PM
Akrobatik
Driver School Candidate

Well I've tried all kinds of different tricks to try and get it to work, but no luck unfortunately.
Old 03-15-08, 07:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

changing the block is in fact changing the engine

you got more to read David is a friend on mine and i know what's involved in his swap, hit me up on aim if u wanna chat
Old 03-15-08, 10:20 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
changing the block is in fact changing the engine

you got more to read David is a friend on mine and i know what's involved in his swap, hit me up on aim if u wanna chat

shhhhhh its still keeping it in the toyota family. its like having a brother, but being able to switch him for another guy whos exactly the same, just better!

P.S. My name is David also... w00t w00t
Old 03-16-08, 12:00 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

more like switching his heart for anothers

akrobatik, take a look at the wiring underneath the passengers set, the amp is down there and the +B might be loose/disconnected.
Old 03-18-08, 12:10 PM
Akrobatik
Driver School Candidate

I'll check on that as soon as I have some free time, but for now I get to drive around with no music, just so much more quiet in my LS compared to my old SC