Sponsored by:

AUDIO: Please Please Help....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-03, 11:12 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy AUDIO: Please Please Help....

The last time I installed a system in my car was in High School (1994) Anyone familiar with the Nakamichi stock GS300 installation?

I need your help. I just bought a 1998 GS300 and it has a sound system with component speakers in the front, mids in the back doors, a 12 inch sub and an amp. The sound is really muddy & muffled because there is no crossover seperating the frequencies - all mid and low end is sent to the tweeters, the mid range is "hollow" but the bass isn't too bad. Not clean but not boomy.

I would like to keep the stock stereo. I''m going to change the front speakers to Infinity Kappa Components, rear door speakers to 2-way Infinity Kappa's , the sub to a Pioneer TS-W304F Free-Air Woofer. I don't know what to do with the existing Amp, it has connections that look proprietary (or just new to me) I am looking at installing 2 - Alpine MRP-T220 Amps to power the front Infinity's and the sub.

My question is how to do this without a custome installer. IS it possiblt to just replace the
Sub and Amp already installed with the new ones. I don't want to tear up the car trying to rewire the system.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-23-03, 02:34 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure it's possible to keep the existing Nakamichi HU and upgrade the other components. I did the same to my '00 RX300 and it sounds killer.

1) The first thing you're going to have to do is locate the stock amp.
2) Get (3) Audiolink PL II Line Output Convertors from Crutchfield, good quality RCA's (3 pairs), 4g power wire (long enough to run from your battery to the new amp location), 8g power and ground wire (3' each), speaker wire (enough to run from amps to speakers). It May be easier and cheaper to get a dual amp wiring kit.
3) You will use (1) LOC for each channel, front, rear and sub. You will take the speaker outputs from the stock amp (Front, Rear and Sub) and run them to the LOC's, then run RCA's to your new amps.
4) You will also need to run a remote turn on lead from either the power antenna or from the cigarette lighter power socket to your amp. This will turn on the amp when the car is on or when the antenna is on. 5) Run a 4g power lead with a 60amp fuse (fuse removed for time being) from your battery's POSITIVE terminal into the car to where you will be mounting the new amps. Connect the 4g power lead to a distribution block and run (1) 8g lead to each amp.
6) Run a 8g ground wire from each amp and to a suitable ground point on the car's frame, but do not connect it to the amp at this time. Be sure to grind away the paint for a good connection.
7) Next, run good quality speaker wire from the amps to each speaker. Your Infinity components will come with a crossover so mount it either inside the kick panel or on the inside of the door panel (recommended). The speaker wire will run from the amp directly to the crossover and then run seperate speaker wires to the mid and tweeter. Do this for each side.
8) Check all of your connections and once you've made them then it's time to connect the ground lead to the amp (Be sure the fuse is still removed). Once you've connected the ground, now you can install the fuse. Be sure to turn the gains on the amp all the way down before turning on for the first time. Start the car with the radio off and then turn on the stereo and check for sound. Once you verify that all of your speakers are working, then tune your amps.

Hope this helps you,

JP

Last edited by jeremyp111; 09-23-03 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-24-03, 08:44 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Jeremy youa re a life saver! I was able to find exactly what you described @ Crutchfield. The Line Output Converters were the missing link. I'll follow up and let you know how the install turned out!!

Darius2004
Old 09-24-03, 08:47 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Darius2004
Jeremy youa re a life saver! I was able to find exactly what you described @ Crutchfield. The Line Output Converters were the missing link. I'll follow up and let you know how the install turned out!!

Darius2004
Hey, glad I could help. Definitely post back how you made out and put up some pics too. Check my past posts, I have some pics of my install.

JP
Old 09-24-03, 08:49 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

JP,

I just had to add: Your instructions were so clear and detailed that I printed them to use as a Step-By-Step. Hopefully I can return the favor some day.

Darius2004
Old 09-26-03, 02:51 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: AUDIO: Please Please Help....

Originally posted by Darius2004
[B

I need your help. I just bought a 1998 GS300 and it has a sound system with component speakers in the front, mids in the back doors, a 12 inch sub and an amp. The sound is really muddy & muffled because there is no crossover seperating the frequencies - all mid and low end is sent to the tweeters, the mid range is "hollow" but the bass isn't too bad. Not clean but not boomy.

***There are crossovers in the system, but it's el cheapo at best. The muddy sound you're hearing is from the questionable quality of the speakers.***

My question is how to do this without a custome installer. IS it possiblt to just replace the
Sub and Amp already installed with the new ones. I don't want to tear up the car trying to rewire the system.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance... [/B]
If and when you start to wire everything, check with your local Lexus dealership for the EWD (electrical wiring diagram). The better dealerships will let you copy the pages needed without any hassle.

Percy
Old 09-26-03, 03:36 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks Percy, I'm going to try Serramonte Lexus. I doubt they will be so helpful but I'll certainly try.