IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RES ECU/Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 12:29 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RES ECU/Remote Start

Been doing some research on this and it turns out remote start is available for the IS2014 250/350/F.
Seeing how I park my car outside, this would be awesome to have during those cold seasons instead getting my water hose in freezing temps during winter time.

I've confirmed with the parts and services department in person and the total cost is as follows;

Lexus Parts and Services
300 Martin Ave Santa Clara, CA 95050
(866) 208-2871

The part(s) can be purchased through the dealer or online.
They welcome either method you prefer.

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2014/6362.html

RES ECU - $399/$293
Labor 3 Hours - $387.24
Warranty - 1 Year, date of installation

My question is;

1. Is this supported by smartphones, similar to the RX series?
2. Has anyone done this yet?
3. Anyone plan on doing this anytime in the near future?
4. How does remote start work, does your engine stay on, or do you need to manually start it?
5. Can you customize how your climate works or is it preset with your car basically turning on but no movement?

In the IS Accessories catalog, it's has a brief description but not a whole lot of information anywhere else.
Old 09-30-13, 03:08 PM
crzyis
Driver

1. The RX has RES+ this is just RES so No it works off your keyfob
2. I had it on my 13 GS and it works good
3. I dunno
4. with the doors locked you hit the lock button 3 times in a row and the hold it the third time and the car will start. the car will run for a max of 10 min and then turn off or you can turn it off using your key fob. the car will however turn off when you walk up to it and its still running and open the door.
5. the climate works basically with how ever you last left the car. So if your car is under the sun all day make sure to leave it on auto LOW and it will start with that setting when you remote start the car.
Old 09-30-13, 03:46 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by crzyis
1. The RX has RES+ this is just RES so No it works off your keyfob
2. I had it on my 13 GS and it works good
3. I dunno
4. with the doors locked you hit the lock button 3 times in a row and the hold it the third time and the car will start. the car will run for a max of 10 min and then turn off or you can turn it off using your key fob. the car will however turn off when you walk up to it and its still running and open the door.
5. the climate works basically with how ever you last left the car. So if your car is under the sun all day make sure to leave it on auto LOW and it will start with that setting when you remote start the car.
Thanks for the detailed information, greatly appreciated.

My guess is that it turns on using the battery only, while not even initiating the ignition.
That's why it only stays on for 10 mins, any more than that, it'll kill the battery.

From the looks of the PDF installation procedure, it seems accurrate.
For $800, I'm not sure if this is worth the investment.
Maybe I'll just stick to the water house in the morning.

I'll wait for others to do this before I pursue.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-13, 04:34 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in remote start also but I was told that factory unit is limited in distance, basically limited to distance you can open/lock door. Can anyone confirm? Also if you get the factory unit when you order price is < $800. More like $500.
Old 09-30-13, 05:11 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I'm interested in remote start also but I was told that factory unit is limited in distance, basically limited to distance you can open/lock door. Can anyone confirm? Also if you get the factory unit when you order price is < $800. More like $500.
Wow I would be much happier with the $500 or less.

I'm sure the distance is very far, dependent on the signal of your FOB/Token.

Or do what I do, put your token under your chin, then press the unlock button.
Gives it at least another 10-20 feet because your head acts as an antenna.
Be warned, I hear it kills 100,000 brain cells each time you do that. Not confirmed lol.

I'd have to get mine aftermarket since it was never installed or available when I picked up my car.

I also fear that they may have an updated version of RES to RES+ and would shoot myself in the foot if they do that somewhere in the near future.
Old 09-30-13, 05:32 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by waxy
Be warned, I hear it kills 100,000 brain cells each time you do that. Not confirmed lol.
LOL! One sales guy I talked to stated Viper Smart Start is the better solution than the factory option but there will be a yearly charge of ~$50 but you can use your smart phone to start the car from any where and you don't need to user your body parts as an antenna!
Old 09-30-13, 05:37 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow I would be much happier with the $500 or less.

I'm sure the distance is very far, dependent on the signal of your FOB/Token.

I'd have to get mine aftermarket since it was never installed or available when I picked up my car.

I also fear that they may have an updated version of RES to RES+ and would shoot myself in the foot if they do that somewhere in the near future.
The factory RES does start and run the car for the 10 minutes it is on. It turns off when you open the door like others said. 4GS owners have waited for RES+ to debut for months now with no luck. I too was going to get RES but was deterred from owners due to range as well. Upon snooping around on the RX forums the RES+ was a waste of money also due to the app being extremely slow/not responding plus paying $65/ yr for it.
Old 09-30-13, 05:38 PM
waxy
Pole Position

LOL! One sales guy I talked to stated Viper Smart Start is the better solution than the factory option but there will be a yearly charge of ~$50 but you can use your smart phone to start the car from any where and you don't need to user your body parts as an antenna!
I'd love that too, but is it available?

That taps into the car's system, man I've always wanted that remote start and control climate and stuff. Any idea on the cost of it all?

With an upgrade on the audio system, and remote start, the car is such a money pit!
Old 09-30-13, 05:40 PM
waxy
Pole Position

I just did a quick search, I want to avoid holding as many keys as I can, that's why I was hoping to be able to utilize a smartphone.
Old 09-30-13, 06:17 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I just did a quick search, I want to avoid holding as many keys as I can, that's why I was hoping to be able to utilize a smartphone.
There is a thread on this. Guy on here has the Viper system along with the credit card smart key so he doesn't have to carry any keys at all. This is what I'm going for as well.

You can find out more about Viper on:
http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/Modules.aspx
Old 10-01-13, 08:32 AM
waxy
Pole Position

There is a thread on this. Guy on here has the Viper system along with the credit card smart key so he doesn't have to carry any keys at all. This is what I'm going for as well.

You can find out more about Viper on:
http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/Modules.aspx
I actually looked at the Viper system too, Amazon sells the premium package $799 for $324 and I'm definitely considering in getting it. But install wise, reading the reviews it doesn't say much about it.

Is it true you have to pay a $50 monthly/annual service no matter which one you get?
If possible, please provide link to thread or bump it

Thanks!
Old 10-01-13, 04:19 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I actually looked at the Viper system too, Amazon sells the premium package $799 for $324 and I'm definitely considering in getting it. But install wise, reading the reviews it doesn't say much about it.

Is it true you have to pay a $50 monthly/annual service no matter which one you get?
If possible, please provide link to thread or bump it

Thanks!
They also have Bluetooth option. Perhaps that won't have monthly fee associated. I'm not sure. Below is the thread I was referring to.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rt-anyone.html