IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Redesign/Engine update questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 11:55 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redesign/Engine update questions

Currently own a 2006 IS350 with nearly 114k miles on it and I've been impressed enough with it that I wouldn't be against my next car being another IS. I do have a few questions though...

If I get another IS it wouldn't be the current generation simply because it wouldn't feel like a new car to me. I'm starting to get the new car itch, but mine still runs like new so I can ignore the itch for a couple years to come if necessary. Any rumors or better yet, official reports of when a redesign is coming?

Second concern is in regards to the engine. Are there any plans in the near future for a power bump for the larger V6? Over the years Infiniti has upped displacement and power output, BMW has added twin turbos with the 335i and also introduced the 335is, not to mention the option for a factory installed and warranty backed Dinan ECU upgrade. Even V6 Mustangs are now a threat where they use to be a joke.
Old 07-09-11, 12:11 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated in previous threads, the redesign is slated to appear in 2011-2012; exact release date is not known. But the 2IS has been in production since 2005, so the time for a redesign is in the very near future since Lexus updates cars every 6-8 years.

Details on the car has been pretty ho-hum, nothing you (and we) could really do until Toyota themselves begin releasing details.

OTOH I'd keep on chugging in your 2IS until it croaks, these are solid cars and yours clearly has been reliable to the point where you've kept it for 5 yrs/110k+ miles. Don't fix what ain't broke.
Old 07-09-11, 02:18 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, the soonest you'll see the 3IS is in 2012 as a 2013 model.

I'm sure they'll do something with the engine, but don't expect a ton... bear in mind when Infiniti upped displacement and power they also added hundreds of lbs of weight- such that the car isn't any faster, and is still slower than the 2006 2IS.... When BMW added twin turbos they drastically reduced reliability and it's still (stock for stock) only .1-.2 seconds quicker than the NA 2IS.

(while you do have a ton of mod options on the BMW you're then further reducing reliability on a crap-reliability engine... and Toyota/Lexus is notoriously anti aftermarket mods.... see the heavily encrypted ECUs for example... specifically because of how much they prize reliability in vehicles... BMW can afford higher warranty costs since they're soaking you for 5-10 grand extra for the car in comparison)

The mustang, while it offers fantastic bang for the buck in performance, is really not even remotely competing in the same class of car as a Lexus or 3-series BMW.
Old 07-09-11, 03:35 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

+1 i agree with this statement. I would anticipate that there will be a light power bump but I wouldn't plan on anything crazy.

Originally Posted by Kurtz

I'm sure they'll do something with the engine, but don't expect a ton... bear in mind when Infiniti upped displacement and power they also added hundreds of lbs of weight- such that the car isn't any faster, and is still slower than the 2006 2IS.... When BMW added twin turbos they drastically reduced reliability and it's still (stock for stock) only .1-.2 seconds quicker than the NA 2IS.

(while you do have a ton of mod options on the BMW you're then further reducing reliability on a crap-reliability engine... and Toyota/Lexus is notoriously anti aftermarket mods.... see the heavily encrypted ECUs for example... specifically because of how much they prize reliability in vehicles... BMW can afford higher warranty costs since they're soaking you for 5-10 grand extra for the car in comparison)

The mustang, while it offers fantastic bang for the buck in performance, is really not even remotely competing in the same class of car as a Lexus or 3-series BMW.
Old 07-09-11, 05:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

I agree with you getting a new IS right now would not feel like anything different. I'd wait for the 2013 model, as it will likely have more base power and better mpgs, amongst everything else being improved. Should be worth the wait.
Patience! =)
Old 07-09-11, 07:27 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Ever considered getting an IS-F and keeping the current 2IS?
Old 07-10-11, 10:09 PM
Caliguy350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz

LOL....interesting
Old 07-11-11, 06:22 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
Ever considered getting an IS-F and keeping the current 2IS?
Yes, I have. though it would have to be a next generation model for me to consider it.

Thanks for the input everyone, about what I expected. I have no problem hanging on to my 2IS.