IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Interesting Problem... Anybody have any idea what's going on? (w/my aftermarket HIDs)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 07:40 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PreTTyB0i5
This HAS happen to me but for the passenger side, for the first month they work fine then after a month we start misfiring. My theory is that our cars (I have an 06 is350) has a weak 'ground' even on the stock ground points. Either that or the HID kits require a more solid ground than what our cars provide.(I have Xenon depot xtreme) So I decided to ground both my fogs and regular beams to the negative (-) battery and everything works fine ever since, fires up every single time since I've ground to the (-) battery . So I really believe if you want reliable fire-ups you should ground there. GL all
i did this too to no avail. I have both sides wired to the + and - on the battery and one half the time does not fire up. Whats interesting is that it'll click for a second or two and "pop" a short burst of light and not turn on until i turn the switch on/off once or twice. Such a pain. I should have gotten oem hids, lol
Old 12-10-08, 08:09 PM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you guys all put yours headlight in the AUTO mode?
Old 12-10-08, 08:31 PM
vietloc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nigelchow
Do you guys all put yours headlight in the AUTO mode?
I did at first but have stopped since then. I'm still having the same problem, except now it's almost random which light turns on, and now sometimes both lights turn on after turning the lights on and off several times.

Like the poster above said... when the light doesn't turn on, when i flick the lights on I do hear 1-2 clicks coming from the ballast so it seems like it's trying to fire up but it's just not consistent.
Old 12-10-08, 08:41 PM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vietloc
I did at first but have stopped since then. I'm still having the same problem, except now it's almost random which light turns on, and now sometimes both lights turn on after turning the lights on and off several times.

Like the poster above said... when the light doesn't turn on, when i flick the lights on I do hear 1-2 clicks coming from the ballast so it seems like it's trying to fire up but it's just not consistent.
I see.

I guess the HID Kit that you guys have is really sucks.

I only have this problem when I have my HID headlight and HID Fog Light on all together when I start my car in the morning (usually it only happens the first time I start my car.)

Then my installer tell me that the HID Kit do not have enough power to light up because I am starting everything together. Engine, Audio, HID Light etc etc.

Then I start to put my HID Fog light off and leave the HID Headlight light into the AUTO mode. 98% of time it starts right up when I start my car.

Usually, both HID headlight start rightup before the engine start or 4 HID, headlight and fog light will start right up. If I only turn my key into the ACC mode. (I am not driving IS250/350.) So I am still using a KEY .

As soon as the engine starts sometime one side do not light up. But when I put it into the ACC mode, it starts everytime. I am pretty sure is the power supply.
(In my case.)
Also, I dont use any relay kit.

If I turn them off everytime I get off my car and turn them on everytime after my car was started.

It will start right away everytime.

I dont realize most of you have such a big problem untill I read this post.

Turning it ON and OFF for several times is something too much

Good Luck.
Old 12-11-08, 10:48 AM
ABC
Racer

^ It's a quality kit from a CL vendor: Xenon Depot. And yet the problems persist... and it's not just our cars. If you do a google search for the same problem, you'll see people with Xenon Depot kits all over the place with the same exact problem.

I am goign to try to turn my fogs off when i fire up the headlights tonight and see if that helps. Good idea. But i would think the relay would make this a moot point... I dunno, i'll see.

And it's really upsetting that Xenon Depot doesn't do much to help with this problem. They know of the problem. All they do is ask you to swap sides and figure out what part is the problem, when in reality, it's random on either side. And since this happens in other cars besides our own, it leads to the conclusion that somethign is inherently wrong with the kit.
Old 12-11-08, 12:00 PM
pylee257
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the problem is our cars. ive gone through several different HID brands and still the same problem. ive had to replace my drivers side ballast about 4 times. relay or no relay. same problem occurs. its a PITA
Old 12-12-08, 03:40 PM
ABC
Racer

I tried with the fog lights off last night and my headlights lit up... however, they did click/blink like they weren't. I'll play with it over the next few days and see if it's consistent.
Old 12-12-08, 08:16 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ijdmtoy HID digital kit and no problems with firing up at all regardless if both sets of lights are on before the car is started or not. It doesn't flicker any