IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Interesting Problem... Anybody have any idea what's going on? (w/my aftermarket HIDs)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 01:27 PM
vietloc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Problem... Anybody have any idea what's going on? (w/my aftermarket HIDs)

So I installed after market HIDs into my IS250 about 2 months ago. The first month everything works perfectly fine, but soon after that the driver side HID stopped turning on, and I would have to turn the lights on and off several times before it turned on.

About a week after that, the driver side stopped working altogether no matter how many times I switched the lights on or off, so after that I decided to troubleshoot the problem earlier today. The first thing I did was swap the ballasts to see if that was the problem, and after I did that, turned my headlights on and both started working perfectly fine again. Turned the lights on and off several times to make sure everything was okay and all seemed well. (I thought this was very strange because that means it was neither the Ballasts or Bulbs that was causing the problem, and none of the connections seemed loose when I unhooked them). So since all was working again, I'm in a good mood and go out to buy some zip-ties to finish the job. I come home 15 minutes later and decide to try to turn them on one more time just in case, and AGAIN the driver side light no longer turns on...

So cliff notes in case nobody wants to read the story:

1) Installed after-market HIDs and has been working fine for about 1.5 months
2) Driver side no longer turns on
3) I switch the passanger and driver ballasts and every thing works fine again
4) I leave for 15 minutes, come back and then driver side doesn't work again

Anybody have any idea??
Old 12-02-08, 01:58 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this kit is new, I suggest getting it warrantied. If you installed this kit yourself, I suggest double checking everything.
Old 12-02-08, 02:42 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there a relay? Or is it a direct plug-and-play?
Old 12-02-08, 03:02 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

I say is the ballast n the installation... Due to frequent turning on n off
Old 12-02-08, 03:42 PM
vietloc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Is there a relay? Or is it a direct plug-and-play?
It's direct plug-and-play, do you think I should reinstall with a relay?
Old 12-02-08, 03:56 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This happens to mine also. I sometimes have to switch them on/off a few times to get them going. It's pretty common on many aftermarket kits. Do a goog search for it and you'll find people on all car forums complaining about this issue, especially with xenondepot kits (sorry, it's true. do a search on goog...).
Old 12-02-08, 03:57 PM
kevintq
Pole Position

check your amps.. if your ballast draws more amps than your amp fuse can give your lights wont go on... also.. your igniter on the ballast could be wet due to the fact you just washed your car.. This happened to me and what i did was dealt with the amp fuses and increased them. Things worked well until i washed my car and realized the igniter on my ballast was wet and so i dried those and wrapped them with electric tape so water coudlnt get in and now everything is working fine.
Old 12-02-08, 03:58 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

amp fuses? Are you talking about the oem headlight fuses? or the fuse that comes with the kit (i think there's one or two...)?
Old 12-02-08, 04:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vietloc
It's direct plug-and-play, do you think I should reinstall with a relay?
A relay should fix the problem.

Good luck!
Old 12-02-08, 05:39 PM
meteoro
Pole Position

for some reason some people experience this issue and some others donot. I recall back in 05-06 it was real issue.
If I recall most everyone that had the issue fixed it with a relay.

I have had afermarket HID's for about 3 years and never had an issue with one not turning on. Interestingly enough, I have gone thru 2 ballasts on the driver's side, yet I still have the original one on the passenger's side.
Old 12-02-08, 05:58 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Xenon Depot kit on my car and have the same problem. I tried switching each component from the side the works to the side that doesn't. I have relays hooked up and I still occassionally have this problem.
Old 12-02-08, 07:19 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

i have a GS and ive been having a similar problem for the last year....... when i start the car up and turn the lights on, both of them are on. give it 2-3 mins 1 of them goes out. if i turn it off and back on, they both are on agen. same thing happens over and over. sometimes if am lucky both lights stay on for 20 mins. am glad the bulbs arent popped and all but if a cop sees 1 of them out, ima get me a fix it ticket.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-02-08, 07:28 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

get the relays and if that dont work get ur money back and get another brand.
Old 12-02-08, 08:05 PM
PreTTyB0i5
Driver School Candidate

This HAS happen to me but for the passenger side, for the first month they work fine then after a month we start misfiring. My theory is that our cars (I have an 06 is350) has a weak 'ground' even on the stock ground points. Either that or the HID kits require a more solid ground than what our cars provide.(I have Xenon depot xtreme) So I decided to ground both my fogs and regular beams to the negative (-) battery and everything works fine ever since, fires up every single time since I've ground to the (-) battery . So I really believe if you want reliable fire-ups you should ground there. GL all
Old 12-03-08, 07:57 AM
laski
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have a link to the relays for the fog light replacement from Xenon Depot?

Quick Reply: Interesting Problem... Anybody have any idea what's going on? (w/my aftermarket HIDs)