IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Sea Foam or Water?
Seafoam Motor Treatment
57.89%
Plain Water
10.53%
Nothing. (Keeping in mind that its a 2007 with 60K)
31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Seafoam...or water?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 09:18 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, if i decide to do either? Feeding it through the brake booster line will feed the engine and cylinders evenly, right?
Old 02-22-12, 10:43 PM
showtymers
Driver

[QUOTE=White350;7037524]Using seafoam has nothing to do with the injectors or manifold it helps break up the carbon on top of the valves and pistons

you must be on a good one,

you pour seafoam in 3 different locations crank case gas and vacuum on the intake manifold ..

you do realize removing carbon on top of pistons isnt healthy let alone having enough carbon buildup on top of the piston to be having problems?

the reason i mentioned it doesnt work well with direct injection on the 250 is the injectors arent before the valves like the 350 which has a set of injectors on the manifold genius . You also do realize also seafoam is a injector cleaner , with a car with 60k miles that shouldnt be a problem at the mement i been a ASE cert on performance/and electrical and transmission for over 18 years and you come on here saying the most non helpful post . And thats the reason why i directed the person towards the carbon buildup tsb which is all due to the EGR system , and also suggested as simple as a sparkplug change
Old 02-22-12, 10:44 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sallydrive
Also, if i decide to do either? Feeding it through the brake booster line will feed the engine and cylinders evenly, right?
The best way to get it evenly through each cylinder is to use a spray bottle, or a childs water pistol and spray through the brake booster hose. Smaller particles of water will flow through the manifold easier and more evenly, and reduce the chance of adding too much water. When you feel the engine starting to die, stop dding water.

I have not done this on my IS250 since its still considerably new (only 11000 miles), but I have done it to my previous hondas/nissans. Therefore don't take my word for it, and do some research first before attempting this. I am not resposible for any damage done to you or your car. Sorry.

Last edited by evogt500; 02-22-12 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-23-12, 03:22 PM
sallydrive
Driver

I just wanna get the Top-Engine Clean done through the TSB L-SB-0029-10, but my dealer will not acknowledge my problem.

So i figured the next best thing was to sea foam it myself..?
Old 02-23-12, 03:37 PM
White350
Rookie

[QUOTE=showtymers;7037886]
Originally Posted by White350
Using seafoam has nothing to do with the injectors or manifold it helps break up the carbon on top of the valves and pistons

you must be on a good one,

you pour seafoam in 3 different locations crank case gas and vacuum on the intake manifold ..

you do realize removing carbon on top of pistons isnt healthy let alone having enough carbon buildup on top of the piston to be having problems?

the reason i mentioned it doesnt work well with direct injection on the 250 is the injectors arent before the valves like the 350 which has a set of injectors on the manifold genius . You also do realize also seafoam is a injector cleaner , with a car with 60k miles that shouldnt be a problem at the mement i been a ASE cert on performance/and electrical and transmission for over 18 years and you come on here saying the most non helpful post . And thats the reason why i directed the person towards the carbon buildup tsb which is all due to the EGR system , and also suggested as simple as a sparkplug change
Yep, you are right
Old 02-23-12, 03:59 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

FYI if people are looking to pick up some seafoam, O'Reilly is having a sale buy 2 get 1 free...
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/cu...512V3D02152012
Old 02-23-12, 05:56 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sallydrive
I just wanna get the Top-Engine Clean done through the TSB L-SB-0029-10, but my dealer will not acknowledge my problem.

So i figured the next best thing was to sea foam it myself..?
So do you tell them that your engine shaking/idling rough or do you just tell them to do the TSB... Because most of the time if u tell them to just do it they will not do it.... I just stick to one service advisor and bug them till they did mine
Old 02-23-12, 07:36 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

i've used water tons of time, but the results were just inside the piston area. Killing the EGR made the difference for me on the intake!
Old 02-28-12, 08:58 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Originally Posted by my1s250
So do you tell them that your engine shaking/idling rough or do you just tell them to do the TSB... Because most of the time if u tell them to just do it they will not do it.... I just stick to one service advisor and bug them till they did mine
No, because I didn't even know it was a common problem before i looked it up. I've tried like 3 times already on separate occasions, and then finally i told him about the TSB and he said if he couldn't find t he codes, his manager wouldn't allow.
Old 02-29-12, 06:07 AM
ihazabonar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evogt500
Obviously you dont want to pour gallons of water into the engine. You use the brake booster hose (or similar) and feed water in little by little on a fully warmed up engine. The water evaporates from the internal heat and effectively steam cleans the valves. Adding alcohol to the mix works better as the temperature of evaporation on alcohol os lower than water, and the fact that alcohol is combustable.
Originally Posted by White350
Using seafoam has nothing to do with the injectors or manifold it helps break up the carbon on top of the valves and pistons

Water has been used in piston engines for the last 60 years! it works great at reducing knock and cleaning the carbon

I would use the seafoam, works good we do it on alot of mazda's on their 100,000 km services

water only really works well when the motor is under heavy load, ive seen rx7's with a huge amount of track time that run water injection+ lots of boost making 500+whp, when the motors come apart they look new inside no carbon what so ever its really neat thing to see

interesting. Never knew