GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2nd Post, 1st Lexus. Transmission problems at 66k?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-13, 12:05 AM
stiles17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Post, 1st Lexus. Transmission problems at 66k?

Hello,

I entered my info into the roll call as requested (I'm on page 22 or so) but I have some very serious concerns about the 2010 GS 350 AWD with 66k miles I bought last Friday.

The test drive was brilliant and the car is beautiful. It has the 6-speed automatic with the E-Shift option. Therein lies 1/2 of the problem---E-Shift.

To give you some background the three other vehicles I've owned with similar technology are a 2008 Acura TL Type-S, a 2007 Acura MDX w/Tech Package, and a 2005 BMW 325XI.

Each one of these vehicles I could be driving down the road at neighborhood speeds to interstate speeds (and twisties) and all I had to do was slap my hand to the left and start shifting + and - to my heart's desire. Never had a problem. I thought that was the whole point of this technology.

Enter the GS 350. No matter what speed I am at if I am in "D" and I slap my hand to the left to put it into E-Shift mode the thing jumps like 2k RPM's! It's truly as if I put the vehicle in neutral. It makes no sense to me. I have learned over the past week that if I want to accomplish this without the RPM's spiking I have to slap the shift lever to the left and shift forward extremely fast to avoid the RPM issue (and even then it still does it a little bit).

The second problem: jerky shifts in cold weather. Is this normal? In theory it is almost like a viscosity issue but as far as I know there are no viscosity values for transmission fluid. Could this be differential (rear) and/or transfer case oil viscosity issue? Do these cars use driveshaft flex discs (also known as guibos) like BMW does?

Any and all help would be extremely appreciated. I am definitely going to talk with the Acura dealership where I bought the car used and traded in my MDX. If I don't find something out quick (winter is fast approaching--it's 10 degrees F in NH already!) I'm going to have this car turned in.

Any constructive criticism, help, comments, questions are all appreciated. I feel like I'm on borrowed time with this transmission. I bought the Zurich warranty plan if that helps. It is the best one they have and it cost me $2500.

Best regards,

stiles17
Old 11-30-13, 08:35 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Your problems are normal. The car, when put in "E-shift" or tiptronic mode, is automatically downshifted from 6th gear to 5th gear. That is why you have the RPM jump. If it's at low speed, it's probably downshifted another gear. This is because when you slap it over there, the car thinks you're about to hit that has throttle and so it downshifts.

As for the rough shifting. I'd like to say that this is normal as all oils need to warm up. You're at 66k miles though, so I'd also say you're due for a transmission flush and, most likely the rear differential fluid hasn't had a flush yet.... So that is a for sure change that needs to be done as I've read they're actually suppose to be changed every 30k miles.

FWIW, I've driven my car in 30F weather (I know, nowhere near your temps), and the car hasn't had any problems with hard shifting..... Although it DID before I did the transmission flush, so that may be all you're due for.....

You don't know the driving habits of the previous driver, so you yourself cannot predict how much abuse the car has gotten. IMO, do all fluids (Oil, trans, rear diff, radiator fluid, brake fluid flush), drop in a round or two of fuel system cleaner in the next few tanks to put it through a good cleaning. After that drop in new plugs and enjoy the car .
Old 11-30-13, 08:42 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I think it's a Lexus thing. I have a '13 and the shifts are jerky with any acceleration above 3500 rpm when the car is cold. It does have to do with viscosity but maybe Lexus retards the shifting until optimum operating temp to decrease wear and tear? Maybe?
Old 11-30-13, 09:06 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I think it's a Lexus thing. I have a '13 and the shifts are jerky with any acceleration above 3500 rpm when the car is cold. It does have to do with viscosity but maybe Lexus retards the shifting until optimum operating temp to decrease wear and tear? Maybe?
The car won't go into 6th gear until the transmission fluid is above X temperature, I know that much.
Old 11-30-13, 11:39 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every toyota lexus I drove, when transmission cold it shifts hard, My Acura TSX was even worse, the tiptronic that we have in our cars is useless compared to the acura one at least. I just had an ES350 2013 with 5k miles loaner, and man that thing shifted even harder when cold then my 80k gs350. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just need time to get used to it. Also if you are in cold weather, you will love above 1k rpm idle before it reaches NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURE, where it requires a lot more on the brake to stop the car then when it normal idles. Also while the car is cold, RPM spikes very high at some point you feel the car doesn't know what going on with it while stopping also considered normal.
Old 12-01-13, 07:48 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it's below 40F outside and the temp gauge doesn't reach normal operating mark, take it easy on the gas pedal from a complete stop. or you will experience a jerking reaction.
Old 12-03-13, 12:14 AM
stiles17
Driver School Candidate

@ XxGoKoUxX

You absolutely read my mind. Those were all of the things I had in mind so I could set a baseline for future service intervals. I really do not like not having past vehicle information. This isn't a Porsche, but to offer an example, if it were a Porsche and there were no service history I'd politely say "no thank you", regardless of how spotless and beautiful it is/was. I learned that the hard way! Comparing this to a Porsche is ridiculous perhaps but it has always haunted me since that one purchase. For the first time since 2007 I went out on a limb. However, I suppose the principle remains the same to an extent.

You are correct though, I do not have any info on the previous owner. I was told they were an elderly Asian couple and I've had my salesman for a couple of years. As far as salespeople go he seems genuinely trustworthy. I have to admit, the car is stellar inside in out. It is as if someone programmed the odometer to 66k and never drove it. It's immaculate!

--Sorry for not being able to respond directly to your message. I am not used to this website yet. When I post a reply it goes to the bottom of the thread. Since I replied to your specific post I thought it would automatically assume I was referring to you. Oh well. I'll figure this out eventually!

Last edited by stiles17; 12-03-13 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Don't know how to reply
Old 12-03-13, 12:37 AM
stiles17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
I think it is definitely a Lexus thing, the jerkiness with acceleration feels like the torque converter is having a hard time which is most likely related to the low operating temps. Check this link out, though I am on the fence about using any non-factory transmission fluid:

http://etereman.com/blog/automatic-t...-prevent-them/

The weirdest thing is when it automatically shifts to 4th gear when you move it from "D" to "S". I understand the sport mode thing, but seriously, if I want power I mash the throttle. That is what the 303HP are for!

Lexus/Toyota engineers are most likely intending for that experience to delve you into the power band, consequently giving you maximum torque and the ability to pass in traffic or offer a sporty feeling. Coming from an Acura, BMW and Porsche background the experience is...different. When put from D to S it would stay in the same gear. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

However, sometimes there are ways around this. Does the aftermarket industry help us out with chips and/or [re]programmers?
Old 12-03-13, 12:44 AM
stiles17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Every toyota lexus I drove, when transmission cold it shifts hard, My Acura TSX was even worse, the tiptronic that we have in our cars is useless compared to the acura one at least. I just had an ES350 2013 with 5k miles loaner, and man that thing shifted even harder when cold then my 80k gs350. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just need time to get used to it. Also if you are in cold weather, you will love above 1k rpm idle before it reaches NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURE, where it requires a lot more on the brake to stop the car then when it normal idles. Also while the car is cold, RPM spikes very high at some point you feel the car doesn't know what going on with it while stopping also considered normal.
Seriously? It idles that high?! I guess I've never given it much attention, but then again I've only had the car for 8 days.

What I DID do, however, was bring it back to the Acura dealership where I had bought it. I've been a customer there for quite a few years now so they agreed to take the car, bring it to the nearest Lexus dealer and have them take a look at it.

I think I might have convinced the service department manager at the Acura dealership to pay for a transmission flush on the house while it is at the Lexus dealership. For Acura it's not a lot of money, relatively speaking, but man is it hard to even get a buck from a dealership sometimes.

I think we all know that experience when we've thrown in the towel and brought our car in for service!
Old 12-03-13, 12:52 AM
stiles17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
The car, when put in "E-shift" or tiptronic mode, is automatically downshifted from 6th gear to 5th gear.
I forgot to mention this: I did something no man would ever consider doing...reading the owner's manual. Heaven forbid I opened the still perfectly factory pressed Lexus Bible and there it was, my answer. It automatically downshifts to 4th gear.

I can't wrap my head around why they would do that. It is very clearly stated in the manual. What if I were, let's be PC here, to exceed the limit of speed to an absurd degree? As in really absurd? I guess sport mode is either out of the question at that point or you are already using it.
Old 12-03-13, 05:50 AM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can sign up on the lexus website with your VIN and see the service history of the car. it will show all the lexus in service info.
Old 12-03-13, 11:44 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles17
@ XxGoKoUxX

You absolutely read my mind. Those were all of the things I had in mind so I could set a baseline for future service intervals. I really do not like not having past vehicle information. This isn't a Porsche, but to offer an example, if it were a Porsche and there were no service history I'd politely say "no thank you", regardless of how spotless and beautiful it is/was. I learned that the hard way! Comparing this to a Porsche is ridiculous perhaps but it has always haunted me since that one purchase. For the first time since 2007 I went out on a limb. However, I suppose the principle remains the same to an extent.

You are correct though, I do not have any info on the previous owner. I was told they were an elderly Asian couple and I've had my salesman for a couple of years. As far as salespeople go he seems genuinely trustworthy. I have to admit, the car is stellar inside in out. It is as if someone programmed the odometer to 66k and never drove it. It's immaculate!

--Sorry for not being able to respond directly to your message. I am not used to this website yet. When I post a reply it goes to the bottom of the thread. Since I replied to your specific post I thought it would automatically assume I was referring to you. Oh well. I'll figure this out eventually!
Elderly Asian couple or not, they can still beat on it, or take nasty turns here and there.... LOL!

The salesman to that car can be like, "ohh, the car's been driven by a 60yo lady all it's life". Ha!

The salesman tactic is to make people feel like they can trust you. It's what keeps customers coming back for more each and everytime

All in all, I'd do all that routine maintanence though, just to be sure there won't be futuristic problems!

Just remember, you're running on time because that rear diff fluid is suppose to be changed every 30k miles supposedly.

Originally Posted by stiles17
I forgot to mention this: I did something no man would ever consider doing...reading the owner's manual. Heaven forbid I opened the still perfectly factory pressed Lexus Bible and there it was, my answer. It automatically downshifts to 4th gear.

I can't wrap my head around why they would do that. It is very clearly stated in the manual. What if I were, let's be PC here, to exceed the limit of speed to an absurd degree? As in really absurd? I guess sport mode is either out of the question at that point or you are already using it.
Yep, it downshifts to 4th gear if your speed is low enough, if you're in a higher speed, above 4th gear threshold (like highway), it'll shift to 5th gear. What I would do if I were you? Give it a little bit more gas as you shift to "S" mode, so that your car can keep up with the RPM rise. Then it'll stay in gear, sort of like a manual trans.

For the record, I wouldn't play with these 6-sp transmissions too much, they're good transmissions, don't get me wrong.... But they're not high-TQ bulletproof.... Beating on them WILL kill their longevity lol.
Old 12-04-13, 11:40 PM
stiles17
Driver School Candidate

Elderly Asian couple or not, they can still beat on it, or take nasty turns here and there.... LOL!

60 year old lady and her 11 second AMG Benz @ TX2K12 - YouTube
LOL! That's great! You've got a definite point about the salesman saying what he needs to say just to get his commission. My uncle owns a Ford, Lincoln, Hyundai dealership in Vermont and I've seen some sales people there use this technique. They can be very slick. No joke, one of his employees that is a salesman has been there so long that not only have the same people come back time and again but even their kids too. That's how long he's been selling cars and has created a relationship. Pretty nuts!

All in all, I'd do all that routine maintanence though, just to be sure there won't be futuristic problems!
I agree 110%. I just got the car back today. I had the Acura dealership bring it to a Lexus dealership. The Lexus dealer said the car was in excellent condition. The brake, coolant and power steering fluids all looked good. Personally though I still think I should change the transmission fluid. Anyone agree to that?

Just remember, you're running on time because that rear diff fluid is suppose to be changed every 30k miles supposedly.
Doing it this weekend!

For the record, I wouldn't play with these 6-sp transmissions too much, they're good transmissions, don't get me wrong.... But they're not high-TQ bulletproof.... Beating on them WILL kill their longevity lol.
I agree...that's what my old E30 is for!! Thank you all for your input and advice. I'm glad to be part of Club Lexus, it seems like there is a wealth of knowledge and information, not to mention like-minded people who share the passion of loving cars.