GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Please advise... 50k service next week.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-16, 04:32 PM
lexlove93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please advise... 50k service next week.

Hey guys I did a search and found some helpful items but what have/will you do for your 50k service? When I called the Jacksonville dealers I received all kinds of pricing and "value" package options. What do I need to do? What does Lexus recommend? I want to take care of my car and will do all necessary but I don't want to waste my money/time on additives and treatment/cleaners.

Thanks in advance!

**Also, while there, I plan to price a trunk spoiler and hopefully pickup all weather mats.
Old 06-04-16, 04:38 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

As you can see, it isn't different from previous services. What are they quoting you?

Don't need to get "value" package add-ons...those are just easy ways for the dealer to pad their pockets.
Old 06-04-16, 04:46 PM
lexlove93
Rookie

Originally Posted by dchar
[IMG]https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/750x1166/80-image_446cd2833e862c02c27543e0ba1f9f6ee760b1fe

As you can see, it isn't different from previous services. What are they quoting you?

Don't need to get "value" package add-ons...those are just easy ways for the dealer to pad their pockets.
Thank you. How do you feel about the transmission service?
Old 06-04-16, 05:22 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 108 Posts

if u have a awd then it have oil change and tire rotation, but if u have rwd only oil
Old 06-04-16, 10:46 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Since the thread is already going I didn't wanna start another one for similar topic have 40k service due soon, dealer quoted 189$ plus tax. I can easily buy full synthetic oil and oem oil filter from the dealer and let my friend change it for me for free. I want to take it in since the warranty is still active. What do they do at 40k which they are charging 189$ for. Cabin and engine filter has been replaced already at 25k miles.
Old 06-04-16, 11:11 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Since the thread is already going I didn't wanna start another one for similar topic have 40k service due soon, dealer quoted 189$ plus tax. I can easily buy full synthetic oil and oem oil filter from the dealer and let my friend change it for me for free. I want to take it in since the warranty is still active. What do they do at 40k which they are charging 189$ for. Cabin and engine filter has been replaced already at 25k miles.
Exactly the same as listed above for 50K mile service.

For future reference...there's a online maintenance manual on drivers.lexus.com or MyLexus app, if you're too busy to look at the one in the physical manual. You can also access your service history and check recalls.
Old 06-05-16, 06:14 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dchar
Exactly the same as listed above for 50K mile service.

For future reference...there's a online maintenance manual on drivers.lexus.com or MyLexus app, if you're too busy to look at the one in the physical manual. You can also access your service history and check recalls.
Cheap compared to MB. I remember when I though an oil change for my 2006 SC 430 was expensive.
Had an oil change (plus other very minor "checks") for my 2013 MB and it was $300.
I don't even want to know what the 20,30,40k services will cost. Too bad there's no current Lexus model that I really like otherwise I'd be going back to Lexus.
Old 06-05-16, 08:21 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

This is a great thread, as I regularly go through this with my aging parents. "I took my car to the Dealer and they quoted me $XX for service..." or "I got this coupon/discount in the mail from the Dealership and was going to have my XXX done".

I've always found it interesting the car manufacturers go to great lengths to minimize the overall cost of ownership by reducing maintenance requirements. But then the Dealerships recommend all these superbious specials/discounts/recommendations/etc.

Follow the owner's manual, it clearly states what LEXUS requires. It should be your guideline for all required maintenance.

Two friends of mine work at two different dealerships (neither with Lexus). Both are very quick to say that "the money" (for the dealership) is NOT in car sales, but rather service and maintenance.
Old 06-05-16, 09:03 AM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Both are very quick to say that "the money" (for the dealership) is NOT in car sales, but rather service and maintenance.
The same is true for large industrial equipment (compressors, steam turbines, gas turbines) . Parts is another big money maker, in many cases there's a 600% or more mark up on the parts.
Old 06-05-16, 03:42 PM
lexlove93
Rookie

Thanks for the input. Since I recently got the car i'm wanting to do a little extra to make sure she is good to go. I highly doubt the 45k service was completed and the last documented service at a Lexus dealer was 39k. I may have them do a mix of 45k and 50k service. I also plan to have the trunk spoiler installed.
Old 06-05-16, 04:38 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexlove93
Thanks for the input. Since I recently got the car i'm wanting to do a little extra to make sure she is good to go. I highly doubt the 45k service was completed and the last documented service at a Lexus dealer was 39k. I may have them do a mix of 45k and 50k service. I also plan to have the trunk spoiler installed.
Since I have a RWD F-sport, I skip the 15K, 25K, 35K, 45K miles services since it's mostly inspections (since I can't rotate tires due to staggered tire setup), so don't worry too much that those are missing from the record (they could've had tires rotated somewhere else or changed). They do the important stuff on the 20K, 30K, 40K, 50K miles services, and will do the tire rotations again (every 5K miles)

Last edited by dchar; 06-05-16 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-06-16, 11:44 AM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The short of it -- a good, honest mechanic who knows the vehicle well is far more important than the name under which he works. Every business is unique and some are run well with good employees, some are not.

Remember that maintaining the warranty requires completing the factory-recommended services using components that meet the manufacturer's specifications -- but they do not and cannot require the service is performed by a Lexus dealership. This is a factor behind providing complimentary maintenance on new cars. It's not for your peace of mind, it's to get you in the habit of going to their dealership.

Some people say they only take their car to Lexus because you can't beat their service, especially in Toyota vs. Lexus discussions. Others cringe at letting the dealer touch their car.
Old 06-06-16, 01:39 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,171 Likes on 864 Posts

Get a price quote from a nearby, reputable Toyota dealership who should have the parts readily available to them. It should be substantially cheaper than going to Lexus directly.

I agree with the other posters about the various intervals and service "recommendations" - seems odd to me that the oil they recommend can go to 10k before its next change but they would require you come in every 5k for "service." If you can get your oil changed at a good local shop, you can avoid lots of the extra charges the dealers ask you to pay.

Since I don't drive much, I've put on about 4k miles on my CPO GS purchased last may. I've gotten two emails and two snail-mail items stating that i'm overdue for my next 5k interval service...but i haven't even driven the car enough to warrant any servicing! Dealers love to get you into the service department because who knows, you might just walk into the showroom as well and end up buying something else which is great for them...
Old 06-06-16, 07:44 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Get a price quote from a nearby, reputable Toyota dealership who should have the parts readily available to them. It should be substantially cheaper than going to Lexus directly.

I agree with the other posters about the various intervals and service "recommendations" - seems odd to me that the oil they recommend can go to 10k before its next change but they would require you come in every 5k for "service." If you can get your oil changed at a good local shop, you can avoid lots of the extra charges the dealers ask you to pay.

Since I don't drive much, I've put on about 4k miles on my CPO GS purchased last may. I've gotten two emails and two snail-mail items stating that i'm overdue for my next 5k interval service...but i haven't even driven the car enough to warrant any servicing! Dealers love to get you into the service department because who knows, you might just walk into the showroom as well and end up buying something else which is great for them...
Indeed, but keep in mind service recommendations are both time and mileage. 5k or 6 months, whichever occurs sooner, is what the manufacturer recommends.

I'm not saying that's what you need to do, but during the warranty period it's one less argument against a warranty claim if you've kept up with their maintenance schedule in a traceable manner.