GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Any way to voice control anything besides nav and phone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 03:08 PM
danjb
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Question Any way to voice control anything besides nav and phone?

I am a new 2013 GS 350 F Sport owner, and am trying to explore all the interior technology features. I'm familiar with using the voice commands to dial the phone and navigate to POI's. However, I wondered if voice commands can be used for anything else, like controlling the heating/cooling system or controlling the audio system. For example, can I say something like "preset 5" or "FM radio" or "temperature 75" as voice commands? I can not find these kinds of commands anywhere, but there is so much squirreled away in this system I may just be missing the right place to look.

My brother has a 4 year old Acura that does these kinds of commands. I always thought they were a little gimmicky, but given the GS has no buttons for preset radio stations (other than cycling through them) they might be useful when you want to go to a specific number,

Another question on the voice commands, is there a way to customize the "short" voice menu (e.g. the menu that pops up when you press the voice button). For example, it has a "GO HOME" option. I know I can set a series of preset destinations, such as WORK. Is there a way to do a voice "GO WORK" option to load a preset destination?

I noticed the various Enform apps have voice command capabilities as well. Is there a simpler way to access the voice command in those apps than navigating via the menu to the microphone option on the screen? It would be nice if pressing the voice button while in an app popped up that app's voice menu rather than the main voice menu. Is there a way to do this?
Old 05-09-12, 03:17 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

for the temperature I believe you can only say "cooler" or "warmer" and it changes by 4 degrees
Old 05-09-12, 04:57 PM
danjb
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
for the temperature I believe you can only say "cooler" or "warmer" and it changes by 4 degrees
Hmm, I tried these but had no luck. All it would say is "I beg your pardon?" Actually, for "warmer" it thought I said "weather" and went to the XM Weather map. Which is interesting in itself, since that is not one of the shortcut voice commands shown on the initial shortcut voice menu. Makes you wonder what else is in there?
Old 05-09-12, 06:21 PM
steilkurve
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In setup for voice, you have to enable expanded commands. Then you'll be able to control AC, radio.
Old 05-09-12, 08:45 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by danjb
Hmm, I tried these but had no luck. All it would say is "I beg your pardon?" Actually, for "warmer" it thought I said "weather" and went to the XM Weather map. Which is interesting in itself, since that is not one of the shortcut voice commands shown on the initial shortcut voice menu. Makes you wonder what else is in there?
all i say for climate is,,, it's too cold or it's too hot and she adjusts the temp accordingly .
Old 05-09-12, 08:48 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

you can use voice command for your music also.... i.e. play album name or music by a certain artist.
Old 05-09-12, 10:12 PM
danjb
Rookie

Talking

Thanks for the tips! I enabled the expanded commands, and now I'm in business!
Old 05-09-12, 10:25 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
all i say for climate is,,, it's too cold or it's too hot and she adjusts the temp accordingly .
Are you serious? I am going to try it. It sounds like iPhone's Siri!
Old 05-09-12, 10:38 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jedimaster
Are you serious? I am going to try it. It sounds like iPhone's Siri!
yes i'm serious,,, and i hate the Siri function on my iPhone 4S
Old 05-10-12, 08:31 AM
Liferules
Driver

As a side note, I think the default of 4 degrees is too much, IMO. I'm going to ask my SA to change it to 2 degrees at my 1st service visit...
Old 05-10-12, 01:03 PM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danjb
I am a new 2013 GS 350 F Sport owner, and am trying to explore all the interior technology features. I'm familiar with using the voice commands to dial the phone and navigate to POI's. However, I wondered if voice commands can be used for anything else, like controlling the heating/cooling system or controlling the audio system. For example, can I say something like "preset 5" or "FM radio" or "temperature 75" as voice commands? I can not find these kinds of commands anywhere, but there is so much squirreled away in this system I may just be missing the right place to look.

My brother has a 4 year old Acura that does these kinds of commands. I always thought they were a little gimmicky, but given the GS has no buttons for preset radio stations (other than cycling through them) they might be useful when you want to go to a specific number,

Another question on the voice commands, is there a way to customize the "short" voice menu (e.g. the menu that pops up when you press the voice button). For example, it has a "GO HOME" option. I know I can set a series of preset destinations, such as WORK. Is there a way to do a voice "GO WORK" option to load a preset destination?

I noticed the various Enform apps have voice command capabilities as well. Is there a simpler way to access the voice command in those apps than navigating via the menu to the microphone option on the screen? It would be nice if pressing the voice button while in an app popped up that app's voice menu rather than the main voice menu. Is there a way to do this?
I've noticed that the NAV responds well to certain points of interest that's a but suprising. I was just playing around yesterday and said "Find the Nearest Kentuky Fried Chiken" It replied - - "Find the nearest KFC" and immeidiatley displayed a list. So I decided to try it with other common fast food and other places and they all worked, including McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Ralphs (supermarket), Albertsons, Starbucks, and even particular gas stations such as Mobile, Arco, Exxon and Shell. I have not seen this list anywhere, but it ressponds perfectly. Anyone else have any other tips that may not be documented in the Owner's manual?
Old 05-10-12, 01:58 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusGSFGO
I've noticed that the NAV responds well to certain points of interest that's a but suprising. I was just playing around yesterday and said "Find the Nearest Kentuky Fried Chiken" It replied - - "Find the nearest KFC" and immeidiatley displayed a list. So I decided to try it with other common fast food and other places and they all worked, including McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Ralphs (supermarket), Albertsons, Starbucks, and even particular gas stations such as Mobile, Arco, Exxon and Shell. I have not seen this list anywhere, but it ressponds perfectly. Anyone else have any other tips that may not be documented in the Owner's manual?
Not sure you have tried the "GO HOME" command.. for me, it recognizes as "CALL HOME" most of the time, so I use "TAKE ME HOME" instead.
Old 05-10-12, 07:30 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jedimaster
Not sure you have tried the "GO HOME" command.. for me, it recognizes as "CALL HOME" most of the time, so I use "TAKE ME HOME" instead.
sometimes that voice recognition is iffy. i say "home" and it recognizes it, and sometimes i have to speak towards the mic. or if there is any noise in the car it acts retarted.
Old 09-11-12, 03:07 PM
tommyg1
Driver School Candidate

Default play satellite radio station name or number

I have a 2013 GS350. Is there a way to play a particular satellite radio station by name or channel number through the voice recognition? In the old nav system, you could say Audio, then say Play Channel Name, then say the channel name like 'CNN'. It seems like I can only say 'Satellite' now, then have to change the channel manually.
Old 09-11-12, 03:31 PM
DrKeith
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommyg1
I have a 2013 GS350. Is there a way to play a particular satellite radio station by name or channel number through the voice recognition? In the old nav system, you could say Audio, then say Play Channel Name, then say the channel name like 'CNN'. It seems like I can only say 'Satellite' now, then have to change the channel manually.
It will not take channel names or numbers--by voice command it just changes to satellite radio.

I often use the PLAY SONG "song title" when I am in the mood for a particular song on my USB Flash but I hate that you first have to give the PLAY MUSIC command.