GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

A couple of annoying issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-16, 09:14 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default A couple of annoying issues.

First problem is, for the first 6 months or so I had my 08 460, the headlights would automatically turn off when I opened the door, now it doesn't. I have to manually click back the light switch inside. It's more annoying because I'm used to just leaving the car and they turn off when opening the door so I didn't notice they were on when I left the car during the day only to come back hours later to a dead car. Needed a jump. Not sure if there a way to change the settings for this that I might have changed?
Second issue is ever since I got my car every single time I start my car my mirrors are in a different position, they're almost always way too high so I can't see cars in the lanes and end up readjusting them while I'm driving which becomes annoying when you have to do that every day, I've set the mirror settings on my memory for all 3 settings, and if I hit memory before driving they'll go to that, so I don't know why they change. The mirrors function properly with the controls so they're not broken. Any help would be appreciated, they are minor issues that probably have easy fixes I don't know about.
Old 05-14-16, 03:58 AM
deltabravo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
First problem is, for the first 6 months or so I had my 08 460, the headlights would automatically turn off when I opened the door, now it doesn't. I have to manually click back the light switch inside. It's more annoying because I'm used to just leaving the car and they turn off when opening the door so I didn't notice they were on when I left the car during the day only to come back hours later to a dead car. Needed a jump. Not sure if there a way to change the settings for this that I might have changed?
This could be a setting change, and it could be one you can do yourself. It sounds as though you don't have an ower's manual; you can get a digital manual from Lexus:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...nual-search.do

Second issue is ever since I got my car every single time I start my car my mirrors are in a different position, they're almost always way too high so I can't see cars in the lanes and end up readjusting them while I'm driving which becomes annoying when you have to do that every day, I've set the mirror settings on my memory for all 3 settings, and if I hit memory before driving they'll go to that, so I don't know why they change. The mirrors function properly with the controls so they're not broken. Any help would be appreciated, they are minor issues that probably have easy fixes I don't know about.
This sounds like something to do with the mirrors moving into a downward angle when reversing. When you set the mirrors are you in park or reverse? I have to assume park, so perhaps there is an issue with the system that moves the mirrors for reversing. I can't help you much with more details.
Old 05-14-16, 04:33 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 793 Likes on 686 Posts

Regarding the mirrors you can shut off the automatic mirror tilt by simply between the L and R on the adjuster. Its a bit tricky but done right both light indicators on the switch will turn off. I have had mine turned off for awhile as I believe having the mirror tilt eveytime will add wear to the gears and eventually break.
Old 05-15-16, 01:26 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

It's weird for sure, because occasionally (like 25% of the time) the lights WILL turn off when I open the door, but most of the time no. It's almost like it's not registering that the door is open or something, it seems dumb to me that the lights won't automatically turn themselves off if you accidentally left them on, in my old 2GS even if you left them on they'd turn themselves off after like 2 mins. As for the mirrors I'm going to ask the dealer about that, for you guys does it go back to your preset position after you reverse and they tilt down? Mine tilt down but then I think they go way too far up after I go into drive.
Old 05-17-16, 07:11 PM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Check your door switch could be sticking closed
Old 05-18-16, 01:54 AM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Thats exactly what it is undo the door switch and make sure its earthing ok and all will be well mine did this last year released door switch and retightened and all was well

Last edited by Robertcave; 05-18-16 at 02:00 AM. Reason: corrected words
Old 01-22-17, 07:48 AM
knipknup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My headlights are having the same issue where they intermittently don't turn off. Sometimes it behaves, but it seems to be more and more that they stay on. If I press the lock and unlock on the key fob, sometimes they will turn off, but about half the time, I have to go back, open the door and turn the switch. Annoying! Were you able to resolve your issue?
Old 01-23-17, 12:06 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by knipknup
My headlights are having the same issue where they intermittently don't turn off. Sometimes it behaves, but it seems to be more and more that they stay on. If I press the lock and unlock on the key fob, sometimes they will turn off, but about half the time, I have to go back, open the door and turn the switch. Annoying! Were you able to resolve your issue?
You could try cleaning the door jamb sensor as described in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post5890153