GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

After market headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 07:17 PM
Bmac1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market headlight question

hi everyone, I hope some one can help me with this question. I want to replace my oem headlights. I have a 04 Lexus GS 430.
they come stock hid. I cannot find any aftermarket headlights that will work with hid.
Old 08-01-16, 08:02 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Hello, welcome to Club Lexus, the best Lexus forum available

Please use the search feature as this and many other subjects have been discussed many times

As for your question, no, you will not find aftermarket setups for HID equipped GS's. What I tell everyone to do (if you're handy) the stock ballast runs of 2 wires. You can cut the wires and splice any HID kit to it so it will plug and play to the factory harness. However, because no aftermarket headlights have HID housings, using HID in them will just blind on-coming traffic. If they're projectors, its gonna be a horrible output.

Your best bet is to do a retro

Whats your purpose for replacing them? If you're just looking to clean them up, there are plenty of ways written up on how to do them properly and permanently crystal clear and its not with those store bought scam products
Old 08-01-16, 08:14 PM
Bmac1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya one of them is very bad. I've had it cleaned 3 times. It never seems to hold.
I consider my self to be pretty handy. I want a new look. More updated. Like the new cars with led.
Im going to give the car a new look. New paint job, body kit and some interior work. So retro fitting is what you suggest?
Old 08-01-16, 08:36 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Retro fitting would be great for output, newer look and over all better performance.

however, as I sadly have to tell EVERYONE who get their headlights 'cleaned', its all worthless and done in vain if not done properly. Doesnt matter who you take it to, what they use, its ALL the same and will only last 3 months! (depending on driving habits of course) Its frustrating having to argue with people who think those kits work or just a cut and buff is all thats needed LoL

the solution? Well yes, start off with the same process that EVERYONE uses... but you MUST and I emphasize MUST shoot a clear coat of paint on it. The clear will seal the work that is done.

I bet when you wash the car, they look brand new right? Or lick your finger and swipe it on it, it clears up? Then once it drys, it fogs up again right? Well, all the 'repair' kits out there and the cut and polishes that are done are doing the exact same thing! The waxes or whatever solutions that are used are just "wetting" the lenses, but because the viscosity of the solution is so thick, it doesnt dry immediately. As a daily driver, it usually lasts about 3 months; some have gone a year or more, but because its not driven much and not in the sun. Wanna know what I've done many times? I've used clean motor oil or WD40 plenty of times to make them look brand new, it lasts until I have to wash the car or if it rains, I just re apply and go LoL Same damn difference... Anyways, using this urethane clear:

http://www.repaintsupply.com/sprayma...oat-p3685.html

is the best way to seal it. The clear goes on wet (obviously) and technically in a sense stays wet under what drys on the outside.

Now... if they're fogged up on the INside, thats a different story, however, the same process can be done, just gotta remove the lenses and do a cut and polish on the inside and too spray the clear in there. I did this on the 'Z' and its been about 5 years and they still look like when they did when I rolled it off the showroom floor and they were VERY bad!

If you wanna open them up, I did do a DIY on how to do it when I did my LS430 retro, you can check it out if you'd like.

Oh and best way to preserve the lenses after doing the urethane spray... Buy a set of those clear cover vinyls they make. Those will stop any chipping from rocks or sand when driving.

Old 08-01-16, 08:45 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Before and after using WD40 Of course I wet sanded them first

Old 08-01-16, 10:15 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Clear coat is a long term solution because it contains UV protection. The plastic of the lens itself is prone to oxidation, which is what the fogginess is, and a good clear coat will inhibit this.