HID aiming and leveling question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-04, 06:35 AM
cheapsk8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile HID aiming and leveling question

Hi all,

I've done a search and most of the HID aiming info that I find is for aiming conversion kit HID's. I have the OEM HID headlight assemblies added to my car in place of the stock halogens. I replaced my headlights one at a time so I just aligned the cutoff of my pass. side HID with the cutoff of my drivers side halogen, and in turn matched the drivers side HID to the already installed pass. HID. Are HID headlights aimed differently than their corresponding halogen counterparts?

Also, for those that have stock HID, do all HID cars do the self leveling test when they are turned on? That is, point up, down, then level? Does this happen when the car starts, whether or not the headlights ore on? Or does it only happen when the headlights are turned on?

thanks!
-chris
Old 03-28-04, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

i didn't really use any scientific measurement, but i put my car like maybe 3-4 car lengths away and make sure my headlight cutoff is right below the trunk of the car in the front
Old 03-29-04, 08:35 AM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Talking Hope this rambling helps

I have stock HID and whenever I turn on my lights it auto levels if I turn the lights off and back on after about 5 sec it also does it. The only time I haven't noticed if they auto level is when your driving and they cut on automatically.
Old 03-29-04, 12:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Re: Hope this rambling helps

Originally posted by BmoreGS4
I have stock HID and whenever I turn on my lights it auto levels if I turn the lights off and back on after about 5 sec it also does it. The only time I haven't noticed if they auto level is when your driving and they cut on automatically.
@_@....

you get autoleveling only if your car comes with hid
Old 03-30-04, 11:35 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: HID aiming and leveling question

Originally posted by cheapsk8
Hi all,

I've done a search and most of the HID aiming info that I find is for aiming conversion kit HID's. I have the OEM HID headlight assemblies added to my car in place of the stock halogens. I replaced my headlights one at a time so I just aligned the cutoff of my pass. side HID with the cutoff of my drivers side halogen, and in turn matched the drivers side HID to the already installed pass. HID. Are HID headlights aimed differently than their corresponding halogen counterparts?

Also, for those that have stock HID, do all HID cars do the self leveling test when they are turned on? That is, point up, down, then level? Does this happen when the car starts, whether or not the headlights ore on? Or does it only happen when the headlights are turned on?

thanks!
-chris
You didn't specify which Lexus. On my RX300 with factory HID, it has two vertical aiming screws per headlamp. I don't think the aiming procedure is any different compared to halogen. Just make sure that it's aimed properly so it does not annoy oncoming traffic, and gives you enough light ahead the dark road.

It does self-leveling when I start the engine, whether the headlamps are on or not. I could see the DRL moving against garage wall. It goes downward first, then back upward.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-04, 11:59 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Auto leveling only works if it came with the car, because there are sensors install on the front and rear of the car.

as for aiming the lights there are 2 ways.

1. Park your car facing the wall and mark a line where the cut off is. now back your car up 25ft and then adjust the cutoff so its 2 inches lower than the previous mark. and your done

second way.

2. Park the right side of your car parrellel to the wall and adjust the light so its almost straight but just pointing down a little. then move the car so that the front of the car is now facing the wall. then adjust the driver side light accordingly to the passenger side

all this should be done with 1/2-3/4 a tank of gas for optimal position.

Last edited by Jmai22; 03-31-04 at 12:00 PM.