GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Power Steering Solenoid? High Steering Effort!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 07:53 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielDD
Nope. No conclusion. I sold the car to my son. The problem is still there. He took it to the Lexus dealer last week for a good top to bottom maintenance investigation. One of the things they were going to look into is the hard steering issue. Don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but I did replace the steering ECU and it did nothing to improve the steering effort...
So you're still in touch with the new owner? I'd love to find out what the dealer does to solve it. New rack and pump, most likely...
Old 08-16-16, 01:14 PM
DanielDD
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eicca
So you're still in touch with the new owner? I'd love to find out what the dealer does to solve it. New rack and pump, most likely...
I better be! He is my son!

Dealer called today. We had several things done to the car because my son is too busy to do it himself.

Their tech test drove the car and said the steering feel is about right for this vintage car. I thought it was an entirely lame answer ( and this was after they did an entire suspension check) and told them I wanted a power steering pressure test performed as per the manual. They went back and performed the necessary procedure and found everything to be within specifications. I think we've gone as far as we can with this issue unless you had luck improving your steering effort with the steering flush you outlined in another thread.

My guess if one were to get really involved in tracking the problem, I would suggest replacing the rack - but as you know - its not an easy thing to do. The parts cost is not prohibitive, rather its the labor required to do it.

Best of luck to you.
Old 08-16-16, 07:35 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Lol yeah you better keep track!

I have my suspicions that the power steering pump is the weak point. Whenever the steering assist cuts out at idle and I put load on it, something makes this chattering noise almost like a rapidly-cycling valve. I noticed last night that the chattering varied with RPM and sounded like it was coming from the pump area. I'll keep chipping away at it and post up if I ever find a solution.
Old 03-22-17, 06:12 AM
super51fan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same problem with my car. The steering is very tight and sporty like my SC300 where a little turn of the wheel turns the car accurately. But unlike my SC300, my GS is a lot harder to turn the actual wheel itself. Also, the wheel is not returning to center after a turn and instead stops at 90 degrees from center. I have recently replaced LBJ, UCA, rack bushings and tie rods and still no luck
Old 03-22-17, 08:24 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by super51fan
I am having the same problem with my car. The steering is very tight and sporty like my SC300 where a little turn of the wheel turns the car accurately. But unlike my SC300, my GS is a lot harder to turn the actual wheel itself. Also, the wheel is not returning to center after a turn and instead stops at 90 degrees from center. I have recently replaced LBJ, UCA, rack bushings and tie rods and still no luck
did you get an alignment after replacing all those parts
Old 03-22-17, 08:38 AM
super51fan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexo98
did you get an alignment after replacing all those parts
Yes, except I added the rack bushings and RCAs for LS400 brakes after the alignment. I dont remember if the problem was there before the adding the bushings and RCAs, I just know that my SC300 is way more enjoyable to drive because I can turn the wheel with 1 finger instead of both hands
Old 03-23-17, 01:53 PM
karolgt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I have similar problem, on parking is very hard to move the wheels, when driving, it is ok till I have to breake before the turn. Probably it depends of the rpm, but sometimes on idle the steering wheel is ok, but most of the time it isn't.

Problem started after replace all gaskets in the steering pump, before the pump was working fine. Fluid is also new now.
I was reading in few threads about the solenoid issue, so I disconnected the wire - and I didn't see any differences, so may I expect that the solenoid is broken? I also noticed that one cable has small damage.

Has enyone resolved the problem?

thanks
Old 03-24-17, 09:12 AM
eicca
Intermediate

Does the steering work properly when the weather/car is cold? I find the colder it is, the better mine works. I suspect the high pressure line softens when it warms up.
Old 03-24-17, 04:49 PM
karolgt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I think I found the reason for my steering pump issue, I disconnected the connector from the Solenoid and I checked the Ohm and found there is a electrical short.
As I see this part is quite expensive, like the whole steering pump. Tomorrow I try to check if I can fix that part.

I also found one thread when bad wire caused the same problem.
Old 08-13-19, 10:08 AM
implantgs4
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Bringing this thread back to life. Has anyone got a definitive fix for the issue of the power steering going in and out intermittently? Thank you.
Old 08-22-19, 01:14 PM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was going in an out intermittently and it was the solenoid. The wires which go into the solenoid broke. I soldered as a short term fix. That was two years ago guess its permanent. The gs300 has always had stiff steering.....