GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A/C Display Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 08:10 AM
genebelor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A/C Display Malfunction

I have a problem with my 01' GS4 Navi:
First I noticed that top row "AC" button lights are NOT after starting of the car ("Auto", direction, defroster, etc)
Then, when I go to "Climate" mode, onscreen AC control buttons don't work: they are not disabled (greyed out) however, upon selecting, have no effect on AC. In addition temperature (outside/inside) numbers are not displayed. (see the picture below)

To my surpise, though, AC is actually working: I can press "OFF", "AUTO", or any other buttons from the top row and get the expected result.

Also, the trip computer's numbers are gone!!! WTF????

Any idea what it can be caused by?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-05, 09:37 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not to sound stupid, but how many miles are on the car?? are you still covered under warranty?? if you are even a little over, sometimes Lexus will still help you out. personally, i would start there. i doubt its a DIY, but maybe a problem w/the screen display itself. i know that on my pioneer head unit, the display is not that great and part of it (the numbers) do not show up whenever they feel like it
Old 06-15-05, 10:23 AM
genebelor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by varcity64
not to sound stupid, but how many miles are on the car?? are you still covered under warranty?? if you are even a little over, sometimes Lexus will still help you out. personally, i would start there. i doubt its a DIY, but maybe a problem w/the screen display itself. i know that on my pioneer head unit, the display is not that great and part of it (the numbers) do not show up whenever they feel like it

The warranty just expired
Old 06-15-05, 11:19 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by genebelor
The warranty just expired
If it truly JUST expired, I'd still take it to the dealer. There have been dealers that have extended a good will gesture beyond the warranty period, especially if it was recent. Try a few dealers if you have more than one in the area. Also try Lexus corporate. Ultimately, it does not hurt to try.

If someone posts a simple fix, then all the better. If not, try the dealer. Good luck.
Old 06-15-05, 11:31 AM
DXGS400
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Just throwing out some ideas, you might want to try to reset the ECU first to see if you can get everything back again. Since I work with computers and reboot often time is the soution for lots unexplainable issues, I would try to "reboot" your car first. Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-05, 01:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
If it truly JUST expired, I'd still take it to the dealer. There have been dealers that have extended a good will gesture beyond the warranty period, especially if it was recent. Try a few dealers if you have more than one in the area. Also try Lexus corporate. Ultimately, it does not hurt to try.

If someone posts a simple fix, then all the better. If not, try the dealer. Good luck.
yeah i agree, a lot of times they wil put in good will. try lexus dealershipright the way
Old 06-15-05, 01:27 PM
genebelor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DXGS400
Just throwing out some ideas, you might want to try to reset the ECU first to see if you can get everything back again. Since I work with computers and reboot often time is the soution for lots unexplainable issues, I would try to "reboot" your car first. Hope this helps.

Hmmm, reboot my GS? I was already thinking about doing that... I have not found the "reboot" button, though... heh-heh. Are there directions on how to do that posted anywhere?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-15-05, 01:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Hmmm, reboot my GS? I was already thinking about doing that... I have not found the "reboot" button, though... heh-heh. Are there directions on how to do that posted anywhere?

Thanks!!!
disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and leave it like that for 1/2 hr
Old 06-17-05, 07:03 AM
genebelor
Driver School Candidate

To my surprise, "rebooting" of my GS resolved all the problems with the display.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-17-05, 07:55 AM
DXGS400
Driver School Candidate

To my surprise, "rebooting" of my GS resolved all the problems with the display.

Thanks for your help!
Glad to know, where should I send you the bill now?