GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

OEM fitment door speaker replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 02:16 PM
Biohaz7331
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM fitment door speaker replacement.

I am trying to replace my door speakers in my 93 GS300 due to a blown speaker. I am happy with how the stock system sounds (pioneer) and I want to replace the blown speaker with a similar sounding speaker that fits well in the stock enclosure.

I have done a lot of searching but I havent been able to find any threads of people that have replaced the speakers without modification or getting rid of the enclosures.

I also want to use the stock amp and head unit so I am not looking for anything crazy. I already bought 2 4 inch speakers that sounded like crap and they were 4 inch but they did not fit well at all and they did not even fully fill in the opening of the enclosure.

I want to know what fits well in the stock enclosures (front and rear) and sounds similar to the OEM speakers. If the only way to do that is some modification of the speaker enclosure then that is fine.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-10-16, 05:12 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

Not sure about oe sound but I had Infinity Kappa's in my car sounded pretty good the only thing i had to do was trim down the plastic outer ring(ish (thingy)). The only way that I can think of is to buy a good condition OE speaker, can be found, pretty pricey though. That's why I went with aftermarket.
Old 03-10-16, 05:51 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Before I updated to 6.5 in speakers I was using the Alpine SPS-410 speakers. They fit perfectly and worked great with the stock amp. I think I may still have them.
Old 03-11-16, 04:51 AM
Biohaz7331
Driver School Candidate

One, can you still find infinity kappas and if so what size did you install? Was it 4" or larger to fit well?

MKIII, did the alpines have pretty good bass and response? I have found some two way speakers lack in bass and overall sound. If they fit really well, have good bass, and work well with the stock amp I may have to go with them.

Does anyone know of any good component speakers that fit well and sound good? The car already has tweeters so I feel like two way speakers are not necessary and do not sound as good with mids and lows.
Old 03-11-16, 09:18 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the Polk db401 kit.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-1st-gen-1993-1997/720588-1993-gs300-speaker-sizes.html

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-4-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B000P0R6GQ
Old 03-11-16, 05:33 PM
Biohaz7331
Driver School Candidate

Those seem to be pretty good speakers. Can anyone chime in to how good they sound? Do the 4" speakers fit well in the stock enclosures or would it be better to go to 5" in the front as someone had mentioned in the other thread?
Old 03-11-16, 06:12 PM
Biohaz7331
Driver School Candidate

Oh and didn't someone post a link earlier to some speakers and crossovers? I briefly check it earlier when I was at work and thought someone had posted a link to a website that I could buy speakers and crossovers and put it together fairly chealy?
Old 03-11-16, 07:41 PM
kene
Lead Lap

I wrote quite a bit earlier, but I think I accidentally deleted it during editing.

Do you only want small speakers that will fit into the stock enclosure?

So no 5.25 or 6.5 inch speakers correct?

If you are open to some great speakers or kits visit:

www.mavin.com
and
www.partsexpress.com

My car has the 5-1/4" polks listed below (RD0514) in the front and rear and infinity tweeters (infinity 60.9cs kit). The polks are running full range I believe, and the infinity tweets, and peerless 6.5 Midbass are connect to the infinity crossover. The polk speakers are the same ones used in the RTi12 home speaker (msrp- $1398.00 when released).

The cost of the Polk kit is $57 USD for:

(4) 5 1/4" Polk Audio Woofers (4 ohm) Shielded
(2) 1" Silk Dome Tweeter (8 ohm) Shielded
(2) Two Way Crossover 12db
(2) Terminal Cup

http://www.mavin.com/store.php/produ...-woofers-2-way

Keep in mind these are not 4" speakers, but there are many who have shaved their stock speaker enclosures and now can fit 5.25" speakers. Or just buy the 5.25" - 6.5" speaker brackets for the front.(rear brackets require some modification)

Long story short, the Polk kit is stellar. I used it on my custom home theater speakers and was so impressed, that I put it in my ride. Just make sure to at the least amp them.

The polk mids (5.25") are not bright or warm. They are just perfect in my opinion, and deliver excellent clarity. Plus they have a resonant frequency of Fs=66hz. Which is great for a 5.25" speaker, and they are 4ohms each driver.

If you are now open to larger speaker sizes, there is the peerless sls 6.5" (model 830946) mid bass drivers. They are mounted near the bottom corner of each door also. They are excellent for low vocal and bass output (I think Resonant frequency was 30hz). Keep in mind There is a significant decibel drop from around 800hz to 900hz if I remember. And anything over 10khz is not going to happen.

Any how, There are quite a few options on those sites.

Sorry for the back and forth grammatical errors. This was done on a cell phone.

Originally Posted by Biohaz7331
Oh and didn't someone post a link earlier to some speakers and crossovers? I briefly check it earlier when I was at work and thought someone had posted a link to a website that I could buy speakers and crossovers and put it together fairly chealy?

Last edited by kene; 06-04-16 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 07:15 PM
Biohaz7331
Driver School Candidate

Wow thank you so much for all of the info and help! I will definitely check out those speakers and websites!

So you are running the polk woofers in your car currently? Which website did you get them from I did a search on each website for the part number but I didn't find anything (although mavins website was hardly loading when I went to it) So thank you so much for the detailed explanation I will certainly look more into it.
Old 03-15-16, 09:34 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Mavins webserver is slow.

But here is a direct link to the polks

http://www.mavin.com/store.php/produ...-woofers-2-way

I did not use mavins crossovers that came with this kit. If it is too costly to get the infinity 2 way crossovers, an alternative is to use a 4 ohm highpass crossover with a low frequency point from Partsexpress.com. Just make sure to electrically insulate the crossovers or put them in a small non-conductive enclosure so they won't electrically short out on the cars internal door frame.

For example, like these two (they were $5 each 5-8 months ago). Please copy and paste into web browser.
http://www.parts-express.com/100-hz-...sover--266-460

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-e...sover--266-456

The story behind why Mavins items are at so low a price is that years ago he jumped on an opportunity and bought 15+ trailers of electronic and audio equipment from a company that was going out of business.

Last edited by kene; 03-16-16 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-29-16, 06:29 AM
7one8
Driver School Candidate

I'm actually in the process of re-wiring the aftermarket speakers I put in a few months ago, if you want an oe speaker I may still have them in the garage somewhere, you can have it .. pm me