ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

All control functions stopped working while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 03:29 PM
ISSHIN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All control functions stopped working while driving

While driving home from work today all my control functions stops working. All the steering wheel buttons, radio functions, and the center display screen all froze up. It wasn't until I restarted to car for everything to work again. Anyone have a clue what all that components have in common?
Old 01-27-15, 06:33 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you mean your power brakes and steering stopped working too? If so, this is a serious matter that your dealer should be consulted asap.
Old 01-28-15, 12:07 AM
xclream
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISSHIN
While driving home from work today all my control functions stops working. All the steering wheel buttons, radio functions, and the center display screen all froze up. It wasn't until I restarted to car for everything to work again. Anyone have a clue what all that components have in common?
Sounds like a serious issue. They can plug in the OBD and know exactly what happened. Suggest too, you go back to the dealer ASAP.
Old 01-29-15, 12:05 AM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds like the entertainment system. All of the radio, phone, and navigation components are part of one system. They all connect to one computer, and share the display screen. Perhaps that computer had a software crash. The dealer can do diagnosis, obviously.

I'm pretty sure that system is separate from the engine and safety systems. If the brakes and/or steering ever stop working, have them carry the car to the dealer on a flatbed.
Old 01-29-15, 02:15 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

was it a very cold day?

any drastic temp changes that could work a connection loose?

-and was it just the radio/nav, display, correct, or drive line type failure. (power steering/power brakes, loss of power.)
Old 01-29-15, 04:08 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Default System crash with aftermarket navigation

I had a similar system crash with my aftermarket audio/navigation system. I was zooming out on the map while on cruise control when the steering wheel audio/phone buttons and center console audio buttons stopped responding and the navigation screen didn't update. The only way to fix it was to pull over the side of the road and restart the car.

This happened on an aftermarket system but I wouldn't expect the factory nav to be immune to software failures either.
Old 01-29-15, 04:25 PM
ISSHIN
Driver School Candidate

I didn't lose any driving functions. The temperature was like any other day in the 40's. It hasn't happened again and hope it stays that way.
Old 02-01-15, 12:36 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

I didn't lose any driving functions. The temperature was like any other day in the 40's. It hasn't happened again and hope it stays that way.
a few years back when I still had my Avalon, I took the car into the dealership because the light on the shift console had burned out.. service dept. replaced the light and I was on my way... later that night my wife and i were headed out to dinner -- as soon as the engine temp rose enough I turned on the heater... the whole damn car shut down... engine died..... coasted into a parking lot... car wouldn't start... shut everything off, car fired up.... didn't think anymore about it.. left the restaurant, turned on the heat and the car died again..... crazy stuff right... so we drove home in a cold car.... got in the garage, turned on the heat, car died again..... next morning, car ran fine, even with the heater... took it back to the dealership anyway who told me they couldn't find any thing wrong... whatever it was, never happened again, thank goodness. I think there must have been some wiring in the console that were "pinched" when they put the console back in....and then when they removed the console a 2nd time to investigate the problem, that released the "pinched" wiring... but then again, I'm certainly no service tech.

Poppa

Last edited by Poppa; 02-01-15 at 12:40 AM. Reason: added some more info.
Old 09-07-15, 07:52 PM
Gener
Driver School Candidate

Default Controls stopped working

all the radio controls stopped working then I noticed that I could not switch from Audio to Navigation I could not switch anything on or off or change volume settings. I am driving an 2015 ES 350 pretty well loaded. While at a light I shut off the engine and restarted the car and everything started working normally.
Old 09-09-15, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

This seems to be an ongoing issue with some 2015 Lexus models. My 2015 LS was delivered to me with a nav system that would do this routinely, they had to replace the nav headunit and then ultimately the navigation SD card. I have a business partner with a 2015 GS350 and he has had some sporadic similar problems but they haven't been as bad as mine were to where he's had them look at it.

If it continues you should definitely bring it to the dealer.
Old 09-09-15, 05:31 PM
airgas1998
Driver

had this happen only once so far in 7 months of ownership. restarted car all functions returned to normal. there was so little talk of this i thought i was the only one until now. sounds like some software going bonkers....