ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

replacing front passenger door window switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 12:52 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing front passenger door window switch

I need to replace the front passengers window switch. It has no crisp feel to it, it's kind of spongy... You can tell by using it that it's not right, tho it works some of the time (70%)

So I've got a replacement switch for it that feels perfect to operate....

Is there an easy way to do it, can I just pull up the plastic piece that contains the switch swap it out and done???

Or do I need to take the entire door trim off to get to it??? Is there any trick to removing the door trim??

I tried to remove the switch at a wreckers and ended up breaking the plastic it sits in... I don't want anything broken on my car so need to do it right!!!

Any tips welcomed!
Old 02-07-14, 07:16 PM
vintagelex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you have to take the entire door panel off, but it's pretty simple. There are 2 clips on the side of the door that opens (the clips come out in 2 pieces, first one piece then the bottom piece). There is a screw covered by a little plastic clip where the door panel meets the dashboard when the door is closed. Then there is a screw under the little piece of carpet in the coin holder (or whatever that little thing you grab when you close the door is called). Remove all those clips and screws.

Then, you need to take off the cover for the tweeter (the little speaker at the top of the door). GENTLY, pry it out from the top with a flat head screwdriver or something similar, then it will slide upwards once that clip is out.

The last thing to remove is the doorhandle trim. Take 2 very thin flathead screwdrivers (tape them off so you don't scratch everything) and pry up between the top of the lock tap and the trim, and then when that pops slightly out, pry down between the bottom of the lock tab and the bottom part of the trim. Then pull the handle and the trim should slide out, there is one more clip holding it in place in the front, so slide it towards the back of the car and the clip will come out.

Now, once all that is off, pull on the bottom part of the interior door panel until it unclips, and once the bottom and the sides are free, slide the entire thing straight up, it sort of "hangs" on the door. Then disconnect a couple of wires and the door panel is off. The switch is just held on by a screw from the inside if I remember correctly.

This sounds like a lot of work but once you do it the first time you will be able to do it again very quickly. I've done this several times before and could probably do this in like 2 minutes now. Good luck!
Old 02-07-14, 11:56 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Wow it sure sounds like a major exercise!!

I'm sure your right tho once familiar with the procedure it will be a piece of cake....

I really wished they'd just secured the plastic that the switch sits in with a screw or something hidden in the dip where the little carpet piece hides that screw!!!

Thanks for the guidance!
Old 02-08-14, 02:07 AM
310V6
Driver School Candidate

What year is the ES?
Old 02-08-14, 02:24 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 310V6
What year is the ES?
It's a 1992 model
Old 02-11-14, 07:29 AM
jjdejd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vintagelex
Yeah, you have to take the entire door panel off, but it's pretty simple. There are 2 clips on the side of the door that opens (the clips come out in 2 pieces, first one piece then the bottom piece). There is a screw covered by a little plastic clip where the door panel meets the dashboard when the door is closed. Then there is a screw under the little piece of carpet in the coin holder (or whatever that little thing you grab when you close the door is called). Remove all those clips and screws.

Then, you need to take off the cover for the tweeter (the little speaker at the top of the door). GENTLY, pry it out from the top with a flat head screwdriver or something similar, then it will slide upwards once that clip is out.

The last thing to remove is the doorhandle trim. Take 2 very thin flathead screwdrivers (tape them off so you don't scratch everything) and pry up between the top of the lock tap and the trim, and then when that pops slightly out, pry down between the bottom of the lock tab and the bottom part of the trim. Then pull the handle and the trim should slide out, there is one more clip holding it in place in the front, so slide it towards the back of the car and the clip will come out.

Now, once all that is off, pull on the bottom part of the interior door panel until it unclips, and once the bottom and the sides are free, slide the entire thing straight up, it sort of "hangs" on the door. Then disconnect a couple of wires and the door panel is off. The switch is just held on by a screw from the inside if I remember correctly.

This sounds like a lot of work but once you do it the first time you will be able to do it again very quickly. I've done this several times before and could probably do this in like 2 minutes now. Good luck!
Sent you a PM regarding switch replacement.