ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1997 ES300 Transmission Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 10:09 AM
dan2563
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 ES300 Transmission Fluid Question

Hello,

I've purchased a 1997 ES300 with 125K Miles. I'm not sure if the trans fluid has been replaced and am interested if anyone on this forum has had this experience. (By the look of the fluid, my guess is its not been changed, but I am guessing too.)

The fluid is "blackish" but I don't detect an odor. It's not leaking trans fluid that I can tell.

Presently, the car shifts fine without a problem and runs great! It's for my son who drives short local miles. I'm hoping to keep it a couple of years and perhaps upgrade and or sell it when he's off to school.

Has anyone actually had this experience? I know at this crossroad, it can be questionable. If anything is done, it's best to do a drain and fill and not to flush it at this mileage. I've read here in this forum to only use the Lexus Trans Fluid too.

The dealer "Service Accountant" which I'm guessing is not a mechanic said they would still do the drain and fill if I chose to do it. I would probably just do it myself because I'm sure if things went wrong they would not or could not assume responsibility.

It's still cold here in Illinois so I'm not in a major hurry. Just trying to gather information from someone who's "been there done that."

I typically would pass up on a vehicle that doesn't show ALL the proper maintenance records but this has some records along with a timing belt change too. Other than this concern, it's in very good condition and it was at the right price. With any used car, time will tell.

I also have a 2003 ES300 that we've owned for about the past 5 years. I have kept the fluids up to date so I understand the quality of these cars. I have been using synthetic oil and trans fluid in that car and am very happy at the results. I didn't believe it but over time I have seen about 2-4 MPG increase without leaks too. Although I started using synthetic in that car at about 40-50K miles. As quality goes, this 2003 ES is by far the best car I've ever owned! Typically I change the oil about 8-10K (Mobil 1) and use a Mobil 1 filter too. The trans fluid I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF too and drain and refill when I do the oil.

As far as the '97 ES I would not start using synthetic fluid at this mileage based upon what I've heard. Anyone have thoughts and or experience on that of course that would be interesting. I've heard that if a car has high mileage (how high I don't know) and synthetic fluid has not been used, then it's best not to. Leaks could result since synthetic fluid acts as a cleaning agent too. This is just what I've heard.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 01-03-13, 10:22 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Fluid is Dexron 3 which you can get at most car part stores.
Just do a drain and fill.
You can do it in 5 minutes. No jacking up the car required. Just reach in to get the drain plug.
Fill in from the dip stick oil. Takes about 3-4L (1 gallon).
Old 01-04-13, 01:56 PM
MrShim78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there,

just my two cents, as i have a 97 ES with about 130k miles (203k KM) and am based in toronto, where it gets cold and windy too.

First of all, when i got the car, while it had a service history, it showed that the trans fluid had not been changed in a while . i went to the toyota dealer (not lexus, as this has camry mechanicals, toyota will see it) got them to do a drain and fill on the tranny. i went to the dealer beause at the time i didnt know enough about my own car (always learning). its been a year since then and the tranny is smooth and works well. they refused the flush and advised the drain and fill too btw. so this has only toyota fluid. i went to the dealer for this also because if it died the next day, i was hoping i could go back and fight it out.

on engine oils, i change my own oil now every 6k KM, i use castrol high mileage which is semi synthetic i think. either way its great and works well on the car. but on these cars, esp the 97, you have to change the oil on time, otherwise there can be a sludge issue so always always change on time or even a bit before.

i get about 23-25 mpg on it, and only use premium. all fluids are toyota except oil which is castrol. and yes i would -NOT- use synthetic at this point. its thinner and if anything you want something slightly thicker as the seals on the engine may be getting older and a bit worn now. the high mileage stuff is supposed to help the rubber seals,etc.

these are great, very strong cars. i bought mine only last year, and my friends told me i was mad to buy a 14 year old car with 120,000 miles on it. the car is going strong, my mechanic tells me it will last another 10 years and my other friend bought a 2003 es 4 months ago! i think before 2007, toyota/lexus made high quality cars..

so these are great cars to own long term and bullet proof... if basic maintenance is done. good luck with yours, hope this write up helps a bit.

and BDSL is a great guy, has helped me alot! thanks again BDSL!
Old 01-06-13, 07:26 AM
dan2563
Driver School Candidate

I wanted to thank you both for your responses! This is very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience as well. I've used years ago in a Volvo 740 full synthetic at the time. I used a 5w-50 oil from Castro but can no longer find it. I like the suggestion about Castro Oil and will look for that. Thanks again!!
Old 01-06-13, 07:26 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 440 Likes on 309 Posts

I would drain and fill the trans with Dextron 3, then do it again in in about a month.
Then service trans at 15 to 20K intervals.

Synthetic motor oil is great regardless of the mileage. It has superior detergent formula is better at startup.
Old 12-13-13, 12:39 PM
try714
Driver School Candidate

Gotta try synthetic oil on my es300 on my next one.
Old 12-13-13, 02:07 PM
moonphase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Dan2563;
Check the fluid level before you start the drain, and fill it back up to the same level with dexron 3. Also the 1997 ES300 has separate differential drain and fill plugs under the car that should also be serviced with dexron 3. The trans drain plug is 10 mm allen head.
Old 02-06-14, 05:07 PM
mbittencou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moonphase
Hi Dan2563;
Check the fluid level before you start the drain, and fill it back up to the same level with dexron 3. Also the 1997 ES300 has separate differential drain and fill plugs under the car that should also be serviced with dexron 3. The trans drain plug is 10 mm allen head.
Hi,

I wonder if it would not be better to have the filter and gasket replaced as well...
Old 02-07-14, 06:28 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MrShim78
and BDSL is a great guy, has helped me alot! thanks again BDSL!
Thanks MrShim, I didn't read the thread until now......a month later...
Old 02-11-14, 02:26 PM
try714
Driver School Candidate

Interesting..