Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VVT-I Problem's with a Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-01, 04:15 PM
98MKIV-T
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy VVT-I Problem's with a Turbo

Does anyone have a solution for the VVT-i issue when running a Turbo? How can I fix the problem? I detonated and blew my motor. NEED HELP!

Thanks!
Old 11-13-01, 05:21 PM
CamryTuner
Rookie

Hmm this might sound like a brain fart... but isn't there a VVT-i controller being developed or is available in Japan? Could that help and prevent a blown motor?
Old 11-13-01, 05:23 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

well so far no one I have heard of with an IS has had VVTI problems with boost... are you sure that the detonation issue was caused by the VVTI?
Old 11-13-01, 07:59 PM
98MKIV-T
Driver School Candidate

A friend at Toyota/Lexus corporate told me that the only way to get rid of the problem of detonation was to bypass the VVT-i. He said there was a way, but my check engine light would be on all the time. I was just wondering what you all were doing to solve this problem?

Jeff, with the SC300 informend me that the VVT-i was the cause of my motor blowing. Toyomoto & Toyota Corporate backed it up.

This should be something that everbody is made aware of. I only had a turbo on for 5 months and my car was a 98! I never boosted over 1 bar. I am very interested in any info you may have.

Thanks
Old 11-14-01, 04:22 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

the OBDII and boost are a bad combination with the factory ECU controlling everything......i cant say for sure thats what blew his motor but i have a feeling it had something to do with it......this is the reason toyomoto uses a haltech ECU to control everything...the VVti remains in place but it controlled by the haltech to prevent detonation......from the info i got .....if you remain with a factory ECU on the VVti with turbo your gonna have issues......so haltech is your best alternitive Jeff

p.s.-none of toyomoto's is300turbos have any issues with timing or blowing motors even with the vvti
Old 11-14-01, 07:40 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm but james who has his kit from XS has been running it with stock ECU and granted he has the shifting issue but no VVTI issues...
Old 11-14-01, 09:58 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

he isnt running alot of boost and runs race fuel on higher boost from what i know and thatresists detonation....dont know....like i said...im trowing rocks from the outfield..but i dont see what else would do that to the motor....Jeff
Old 11-14-01, 11:05 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

well I talked to Cort the person who made this post and he mentioned the he did the turbo kit himself and it ws never tuned nor does he have a AFC of any kind.. hence I think it might be a A/F issue...??
Old 11-14-01, 01:56 PM
CamryTuner
Rookie

Originally posted by fairuza11
well I talked to Cort the person who made this post and he mentioned the he did the turbo kit himself and it ws never tuned nor does he have a AFC of any kind.. hence I think it might be a A/F issue...??
So, is there a way that the computer can be tricked in NOT using VVT-i? Or is that just near-impossible? Cuz if that happened, wouldn't there be major problems in the valve timing?

Also, i agree too, a huge part in forced induction is A/F.

Has anyone opened up the motor to see if it was detonation? It might have gone lean and then blown up the motor.
Old 11-14-01, 02:04 PM
CamryTuner
Rookie

Oh and Cort, I think I met you at the A'pexi sale. I was the guy that is turboing the camry .

Anyways, I just got someone that might be able and willing to help you. Talk to Eric over at EL Prototypes in Azusa. He might be able to help you out.

http://www.elprototypes.com

Call them up (but sometimes, they don't pick up their phone) or go there. Eric knows A LOT about the vvt-i system and forced induction.
Old 11-14-01, 08:31 PM
98MKIV-T
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the feedback! How would I be able to tell if detonation caused the number #6 piston rod to break?? I pulled the head and the pistons and the chambers look all the same. I rotated the crankshaft and #6 didn't move, that's how I came to the conclusion that I broke a rod.

I want to figure out what went wrong, becuase my new TT blcok comes in tomorrow. I don't want to make the same mistake. I'm going to have the car tuned right away this time :-) I'm also thinking about disabling my VVT-i. I have a friend that can do it, but I will have to get use to seeing the check engine light.

For your info my Supra has the exact same VVT-i VR2 Motor as the IS300.
Old 11-14-01, 10:21 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

did you try calling any of the tuners I told you about.?