ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Performance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-29/)
-   -   VVT-I Problem's with a Turbo (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/26479-vvt-i-problems-with-a-turbo.html)

98MKIV-T 11-13-01 04:15 PM

VVT-I Problem's with a Turbo

Does anyone have a solution for the VVT-i issue when running a Turbo? How can I fix the problem? I detonated and blew my motor. NEED HELP!

Thanks!

CamryTuner 11-13-01 05:21 PM

Hmm this might sound like a brain fart... but isn't there a VVT-i controller being developed or is available in Japan? Could that help and prevent a blown motor?

EmoDragRacer 11-13-01 05:23 PM

well so far no one I have heard of with an IS has had VVTI problems with boost... are you sure that the detonation issue was caused by the VVTI?

98MKIV-T 11-13-01 07:59 PM

A friend at Toyota/Lexus corporate told me that the only way to get rid of the problem of detonation was to bypass the VVT-i. He said there was a way, but my check engine light would be on all the time. I was just wondering what you all were doing to solve this problem?

Jeff, with the SC300 informend me that the VVT-i was the cause of my motor blowing. Toyomoto & Toyota Corporate backed it up.

This should be something that everbody is made aware of. I only had a turbo on for 5 months and my car was a 98! I never boosted over 1 bar. I am very interested in any info you may have.

Thanks

SC300TURBO 11-14-01 04:22 AM

the OBDII and boost are a bad combination with the factory ECU controlling everything......i cant say for sure thats what blew his motor but i have a feeling it had something to do with it......this is the reason toyomoto uses a haltech ECU to control everything...the VVti remains in place but it controlled by the haltech to prevent detonation......from the info i got .....if you remain with a factory ECU on the VVti with turbo your gonna have issues......so haltech is your best alternitive :) Jeff

p.s.-none of toyomoto's is300turbos have any issues with timing or blowing motors even with the vvti

EmoDragRacer 11-14-01 07:40 AM

hmmm but james who has his kit from XS has been running it with stock ECU and granted he has the shifting issue but no VVTI issues...

SC300TURBO 11-14-01 09:58 AM

he isnt running alot of boost and runs race fuel on higher boost from what i know and thatresists detonation....dont know....like i said...im trowing rocks from the outfield..but i dont see what else would do that to the motor....Jeff

EmoDragRacer 11-14-01 11:05 AM

well I talked to Cort the person who made this post and he mentioned the he did the turbo kit himself and it ws never tuned nor does he have a AFC of any kind.. hence I think it might be a A/F issue...??

CamryTuner 11-14-01 01:56 PM

Originally posted by fairuza11
well I talked to Cort the person who made this post and he mentioned the he did the turbo kit himself and it ws never tuned nor does he have a AFC of any kind.. hence I think it might be a A/F issue...??
So, is there a way that the computer can be tricked in NOT using VVT-i? Or is that just near-impossible? Cuz if that happened, wouldn't there be major problems in the valve timing?

Also, i agree too, a huge part in forced induction is A/F.

Has anyone opened up the motor to see if it was detonation? It might have gone lean and then blown up the motor.

CamryTuner 11-14-01 02:04 PM

Oh and Cort, I think I met you at the A'pexi sale. I was the guy that is turboing the camry:D .

Anyways, I just got someone that might be able and willing to help you. Talk to Eric over at EL Prototypes in Azusa. He might be able to help you out.

http://www.elprototypes.com

Call them up (but sometimes, they don't pick up their phone) or go there. Eric knows A LOT about the vvt-i system and forced induction.

98MKIV-T 11-14-01 08:31 PM

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the feedback! How would I be able to tell if detonation caused the number #6 piston rod to break?? I pulled the head and the pistons and the chambers look all the same. I rotated the crankshaft and #6 didn't move, that's how I came to the conclusion that I broke a rod.

I want to figure out what went wrong, becuase my new TT blcok comes in tomorrow. I don't want to make the same mistake. I'm going to have the car tuned right away this time :-) I'm also thinking about disabling my VVT-i. I have a friend that can do it, but I will have to get use to seeing the check engine light.

For your info my Supra has the exact same VVT-i VR2 Motor as the IS300.

EmoDragRacer 11-14-01 10:21 PM

did you try calling any of the tuners I told you about.?