To ceramic coat or not to ceramic coat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-24, 06:33 PM
DKeezer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To ceramic coat or not to ceramic coat?

Hey guys, just looking for some insight. Is ceramic coating worth it? Anyone have positive or negative experiences they’d like to share?
T.I.A

Edit: Price $1700 CAD 6 year warranty
Old 04-05-24, 07:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,742 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Worth it for the protection and ease of washing yes, worth the money? That's something you have to decide. Is your car winter driven? If so going ceramic won't do anything to protect against rock chips.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
coolbrazz (04-10-24), DKeezer (04-05-24)
Old 04-06-24, 04:21 AM
MarcL129
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We have ceramic only on one car and full PPF plus ceramic on the TX. The ceramic really does help keep the cars clean. In 6 months we have not actually washed either car. I use a light mist of a quick detailer and wipe it down to get off any dust or dirt. Or use my leaf blower after a drive through rain. The rims also stay much cleaner and can be wiped off easily. The negative is you can’t ever go through a wash, while not required I would reapply a ceramic sealant spray to top it off ever 6-12months or so to keep the surface very slick (simply spray on and wipe off like then quick detailer) and it is prone to fingerprints (which wipe off easily with a good microfiber buff cloth). We live in the south so don’t experience snow so I’m not sure how it holds up there but the full PPF is great as it protects against the rock chips and scratches. Ceramic won’t do that. If you like your car to stay mostly clean and have no issues doing the maintenance with a quick detailer and sealant every now and again I’d say it’s well worth it.
Old 04-08-24, 02:41 PM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I have ceramic coated almost a half dozen vehicles in the past. It is worth it but you don't get anything out of it other than it being easier to clean and staying cleaner longer. If you don't hand wash it, it will be more or less a waste because you'll still scratch it up. I PPFd the front bumper and headlights and decided not to ceramic coat this car. I am even running it through a tunnel touch wash because I have stopped caring.

If I were to get a sports car new from a dealer that only is driven during nicer months that I could hand wash at home (can't in an apartment right now) I would PPF a large portion of it and also ceramic coat the whole thing. However this is a 3 row SUV and not an exotic car so I passed this time.
The following users liked this post:
sheetmetalfab (04-08-24)
Old 04-08-24, 02:53 PM
sheetmetalfab
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I have ceramic coated almost a half dozen vehicles in the past. It is worth it but you don't get anything out of it other than it being easier to clean and staying cleaner longer. If you don't hand wash it, it will be more or less a waste because you'll still scratch it up. I PPFd the front bumper and headlights and decided not to ceramic coat this car. I am even running it through a tunnel touch wash because I have stopped caring.

If I were to get a sports car new from a dealer that only is driven during nicer months that I could hand wash at home (can't in an apartment right now) I would PPF a large portion of it and also ceramic coat the whole thing. However this is a 3 row SUV and not an exotic car so I passed this time.
same.

EZ wash on the monthly pass.
The following 2 users liked this post by sheetmetalfab:
DKeezer (04-09-24), Nakuri144 (04-16-24)