Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Coil overs and deleting the strut adjustment motors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-17, 08:57 AM
Todd Edge
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coil overs and deleting the strut adjustment motors?

I just picked up a '13 GS350 F-sport. I'm looking to go full coil-over but, what are folks with this setup doing with the selection motors found on the strut towers? Do you just disconnect these and if so, do you get any kind of warning light on the dash?

Thanks - Todd
Old 11-24-17, 11:58 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Edge
I just picked up a '13 GS350 F-sport. I'm looking to go full coil-over but, what are folks with this setup doing with the selection motors found on the strut towers? Do you just disconnect these and if so, do you get any kind of warning light on the dash?

Thanks - Todd
no lights, just unplug them. Just be careful with the abs wires when installing.
Old 11-29-17, 09:25 AM
Biggsnuff
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
no lights, just unplug them. Just be careful with the abs wires when installing.
Hey,
Hows the J5 setup working out for you? I have a set but haven't installed them yet.
Old 12-17-17, 10:44 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Biggsnuff
Hey,
Hows the J5 setup working out for you? I have a set but haven't installed them yet.
I thought keeping the AVS was cool, but I decided I didn't care for it. I'm replacing it with BC Racing coilover this weekend (more adjustments).
Old 12-19-17, 07:08 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I thought keeping the AVS was cool, but I decided I didn't care for it. I'm replacing it with BC Racing coilover this weekend (more adjustments).
Just got my BC Racing coilover. BC Racing is heavier than J5 Coilover but I trust BC more than J5. I just realized that J5 sent me a defective product after comparing the resistance of the shock. I messaged the seller about how the shock moved up and down with little to no resistance, I got an answer that it was designed that way (response telegraphed from manufacturer to seller). When I got the BC, way way way more resitance...this tells me that the sent me 4 dead shock (with almost zero resistance, yes...I said 4). At one point I asked the seller if I got a used part...anyhow, I'm glad I bought the BC, it's half the price and the quality I can trust (I wished it was as light as the J5 though). Anyhow, J5's are terrible imo.

I usually don't say this kind of stuff on a message board but I got a bad taste in my mouth. I'm may sell it online if anyone wants to buy it and replace the shocks...I don't even recommend that, probably don't even want to waste my time... end of rant.
The following users liked this post:
psinsyd (02-02-18)
Old 12-20-17, 01:45 PM
ShowOffGPE
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does BC have option to keep AVS also? If you kno.
Old 12-20-17, 07:05 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ShowOffGPE
Does BC have option to keep AVS also? If you kno.
BC does not have that option... you may want to do just spring upgrade, the stock shock is better for that.
Old 01-05-18, 03:17 PM
endo022
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree...the J5 are garbage. I running J5s and the rear shocks have died twice now. I've replaced it once...and looking for a new set of coils to replace the entire setup now that the rear shock blew out again.

J5 = garbage
Old 02-02-18, 09:49 PM
psinsyd
Driver School Candidate

Just got my BC Racing coilover. BC Racing is heavier than J5 Coilover but I trust BC more than J5. I just realized that J5 sent me a defective product after comparing the resistance of the shock. I messaged the seller about how the shock moved up and down with little to no resistance, I got an answer that it was designed that way (response telegraphed from manufacturer to seller). When I got the BC, way way way more resitance...this tells me that the sent me 4 dead shock (with almost zero resistance, yes...I said 4). At one point I asked the seller if I got a used part...anyhow, I'm glad I bought the BC, it's half the price and the quality I can trust (I wished it was as light as the J5 though). Anyhow, J5's are terrible imo.

I usually don't say this kind of stuff on a message board but I got a bad taste in my mouth. I'm may sell it online if anyone wants to buy it and replace the shocks...I don't even recommend that, probably don't even want to waste my time... end of rant.
Looking at the BC coilovers, I have a couple of questions. What is the rear extender option? Did you do the swift spring upgrade and what are your spring rates?

Any input now that you've had them for a while?
Old 02-03-18, 08:32 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by psinsyd
Looking at the BC coilovers, I have a couple of questions. What is the rear extender option? Did you do the swift spring upgrade and what are your spring rates?

Any input now that you've had them for a while?
12front/10rear...they ride great. stiffer than stock but that's how I like it. you might go 10/8 or 10/10... up to you. The extender is just that... an extender so that you don't have to move covers to make adjustments.

The following users liked this post:
psinsyd (02-04-18)
Old 02-04-18, 06:42 AM
psinsyd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much, sam430! Definitely appreciate the pic as well!