Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

F-Sport Sway Bars Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-10, 03:40 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had no issues with these and the only F Sport I have purchased. We did have a local that had issues with the springs on his 2IS but I see there is a TSB for that now.

I wonder what is or was done different for some of us to have no issues. With the weather and roads I drive though I would think I would be the one having these issues.

Hope they find a fix for those that need one.
Old 01-27-10, 10:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Anyone know when they are releasing a revised bushing?????? Lexus is dragging its feet. Its probably because the number of customers with this issue is so small
Old 02-24-10, 07:26 PM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if we could contact the toyota ceo or email we prob. can get there attention with all this scare about them being cheap, or ignoring safety issues.... then we get a fix right away... i searched the web couldnt get a contact close to them
Old 02-24-10, 07:58 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

It warmed up to 60 here the other day and the knocking was gone. I have a feeling a lot of us will not have any complaints once it warms up a little.
Old 02-28-10, 07:56 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

mine is not knocking in the cold weather in Chicago. Only noise I have are the lovely dash rattles when its cold out.
Old 02-28-10, 04:45 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
mine is not knocking in the cold weather in Chicago. Only noise I have are the lovely dash rattles when its cold out.
was there anything you did differently with your install? what precautions did you take?
Old 02-28-10, 05:27 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I installed them with a tech at the dealer. I replaced all the end links and bolts with new ones. Other then that I cant say we did anything different. I recall the bushings had to go in a specific direction? Only 2 things I can think may cause the issue. I can say I am 100% happy with mine. Hope everyone else can resolve what they have going on. I dont think its the cold weather or I would have the issue myself. I do have the dash rattles when its cold and I :HATE: them...
Old 02-28-10, 07:31 PM
dentalstud
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i purchased my sways back in july and after reading all these posts about sway bar knocking i decided to wait..well, waited long enough..bought rhino ramps to do my oil and since then have drained my rear differential and installed sways. make sure to spray your bolts with WD40 ahead of time..rear was actually harder than the front since the exhaust was in the way of torquing the sways to the endlinks..there was very tight clearance..get a 17mm rachet wrench..it will save your life!! and some hex keys just in case the bolt starts spinning like mine did..got everything on and tight..at first, i only installed the rear sway bar and test drove..very flat in the rear, but i felt that the front could have been stiffer since there was still roll..the front required the removal of liners which was not bad since i was on ramps..sways were harder to get to since the liners, but the bolts were a lot easier to reach without an exhaust in the way..overall, it took my brother and i 2 hours...we were in no rush and took our time mainly on the rear since we didn't drop the exhaust..the rear took us about hour 1/2 and the front about 1/2 hour since we knew what we were doing and the liners being taken off and put back on..test drove with front and rear sway..AMAZING..you know that feeling where to make a left or right turn while slowing down and then accelerate but you have to wait and sometimes use your break to prevent your car from further leaning while your body starts to drift toward the outside of the turn.. well that is no more.. the car stays flat and the steering wheel slightly tighter..you basically feel the road more than the numb OEM feel.. so far no knocking.. knock on wood btw, for those who have the knocking, you might want to try tightening the bolts if you haven't already..i've read is350 threads where that alone solved the knocking

P.S. i get dash rattles when its cold out as well

Last edited by dentalstud; 02-28-10 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-01-10, 11:51 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

I installed them with a tech at the dealer. I replaced all the end links and bolts with new ones. Other then that I cant say we did anything different. I recall the bushings had to go in a specific direction? Only 2 things I can think may cause the issue. I can say I am 100% happy with mine. Hope everyone else can resolve what they have going on. I dont think its the cold weather or I would have the issue myself. I do have the dash rattles when its cold and I :HATE: them...
so the f-sport sways comes with new end links and bolts? i wonder how many other people with f-sport sways knocking also used the new parts?
Old 03-01-10, 11:53 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by dentalstud
i purchased my sways back in july and after reading all these posts about sway bar knocking i decided to wait..well, waited long enough..bought rhino ramps to do my oil and since then have drained my rear differential and installed sways. make sure to spray your bolts with WD40 ahead of time..rear was actually harder than the front since the exhaust was in the way of torquing the sways to the endlinks..there was very tight clearance..get a 17mm rachet wrench..it will save your life!! and some hex keys just in case the bolt starts spinning like mine did..got everything on and tight..at first, i only installed the rear sway bar and test drove..very flat in the rear, but i felt that the front could have been stiffer since there was still roll..the front required the removal of liners which was not bad since i was on ramps..sways were harder to get to since the liners, but the bolts were a lot easier to reach without an exhaust in the way..overall, it took my brother and i 2 hours...we were in no rush and took our time mainly on the rear since we didn't drop the exhaust..the rear took us about hour 1/2 and the front about 1/2 hour since we knew what we were doing and the liners being taken off and put back on..test drove with front and rear sway..AMAZING..you know that feeling where to make a left or right turn while slowing down and then accelerate but you have to wait and sometimes use your break to prevent your car from further leaning while your body starts to drift toward the outside of the turn.. well that is no more.. the car stays flat and the steering wheel slightly tighter..you basically feel the road more than the numb OEM feel.. so far no knocking.. knock on wood btw, for those who have the knocking, you might want to try tightening the bolts if you haven't already..i've read is350 threads where that alone solved the knocking

P.S. i get dash rattles when its cold out as well
congrats. keep us up to date on your sway results.
Old 03-01-10, 02:15 PM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormforge
so the f-sport sways comes with new end links and bolts? i wonder how many other people with f-sport sways knocking also used the new parts?
No, they didn't come with new end links nor bolts that connect your end links to the swaybar. It did come with a new bracket and new bolts that attach your swaybar bushing to the car (rear only).

If I remember correctly, Passnu2 went further and purchased new bolts and endlinks for the front, and replaced them when he had the swaybars installed.

I for one, was skeptical about changing the endlinks, because it didn't make sense... my car had something like 20,000 miles on it, and I didn't think the endlinks would be worn enough for replacement, (it would be crazy if we needed to change the endlinks and bolts every 20,000 miles). At approximately $90.00 each, I think alot of us decided to wait on Lexus' word, to avoid any unnecessary expenses.

We have been waiting for over six months, and we haven't heard a thing.
Old 03-01-10, 02:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by wingster
No, they didn't come with new end links nor bolts that connect your end links to the swaybar. It did come with a new bracket and new bolts that attach your swaybar bushing to the car (rear only).

If I remember correctly, Passnu2 went further and purchased new bolts and endlinks for the front, and replaced them when he had the swaybars installed.

I for one, was skeptical about changing the endlinks, because it didn't make sense... my car had something like 20,000 miles on it, and I didn't think the endlinks would be worn enough for replacement, (it would be crazy if we needed to change the endlinks and bolts every 20,000 miles). At approximately $90.00 each, I think alot of us decided to wait on Lexus' word, to avoid any unnecessary expenses.

We have been waiting for over six months, and we haven't heard a thing.
correct. same here i don't see how new endlinks will help. especially if people have already shown that the bushing has play and filling that up takes away the noise

i am pretty surprised (and disappointed) about lexus as well. they seem to just get quieter and quieter on this issue...
Old 03-01-10, 03:15 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rominl
correct. same here i don't see how new endlinks will help. especially if people have already shown that the bushing has play and filling that up takes away the noise

i am pretty surprised (and disappointed) about lexus as well. they seem to just get quieter and quieter on this issue...
finding a fix for the f-sport sways is probably the least thing they are worrying about now....
Old 03-01-10, 05:00 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

If you see our end links you will understand why I chose to replace mine. My car doesn't have a lot of miles but its an 06 so age, weather, ect. Darrel at Sewell took good care of me on all the parts and I like to be proactive. I wish I could have found aftermarket endlinks that would have worked but had no luck.

The endlinks could be the issue for some of the members were they were rusted and you are not able to torque them down as required. This was the other reason I chose to replace. My car does see snow, salt, ect...If I was in CA I may not have done this or inspected first. I ordered these a week later and waited to install just for this reason.

I cant say this is what worked for me but I can say that I have no issue with noises on my car. I drive on some crappy roads and its gets cold here so I dont know what to say here.
Old 03-01-10, 06:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

If you see our end links you will understand why I chose to replace mine. My car doesn't have a lot of miles but its an 06 so age, weather, ect. Darrel at Sewell took good care of me on all the parts and I like to be proactive. I wish I could have found aftermarket endlinks that would have worked but had no luck.

The endlinks could be the issue for some of the members were they were rusted and you are not able to torque them down as required. This was the other reason I chose to replace. My car does see snow, salt, ect...If I was in CA I may not have done this or inspected first. I ordered these a week later and waited to install just for this reason.

I cant say this is what worked for me but I can say that I have no issue with noises on my car. I drive on some crappy roads and its gets cold here so I dont know what to say here.
i agree. if the endlinks are worn already especially the bolt. i am very surprised though if only 4 yrs and they are worn and rusted so badly already? of course, i don't know as much about the weather in mid-west and other snowy areas

Quick Reply: F-Sport Sway Bars Knocking