Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

F-Sport Sway Bars Knocking

Old 11-25-09, 07:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RooRa
yea i learned the hard way. the guy that installed it for me knocked out a sensor that controls the leveling of the headlamps and that cost me like 60$ extra. from now on im just gonna do everything from the dealership. just now they are charging me 1k for oil change car wash, rotation, and brake changes.
i disagree, to me that shows
1) the shop is not experienced and not a good one at all, and
2) they should have paid for the replacement, you shouldn't be responsible

going to dealership doesn't mean it's always better. i know a lot of good techs, but i also see a lot of bad ones. i have seen tech dropping brand new spark plugs to the floor, pick it up, look around, and put it in the car. my m3 i got a flat, came back with vibrations, and found out that the wheels are tq to over 130 ft-lb. it's totally wrong to think that dealerships do better work

and in terms of guarantees, a good shop will provide you with as good if not better guarantee. i do install for people, if i break anything, i pay for everything. if something doesn't work, i charge nothing (even if it's not my problem). if they have issues, they come back any time and i help them. the shops i have been to, they broke something and apologized and paid for everything for me

again i am not saying one is better for sure, but i am saying it's not right to assume dealership is better
Old 11-25-09, 10:31 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said.
Old 11-26-09, 11:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

imho the dealership is always the best place to have the car serviced . The added cost doesnt bother me as much as poor work or work that is not 100% backed. To each his own but the dealership , amazing convenience, and their awesome loaners are much more appealing than an independent mechanic.( unless it was an independent mechanic that only works on Lexus vehicles)
Old 12-15-09, 08:40 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

some additional things I've noticed...

recent temperatures/weather have been very cold, for this time of year. my car is kept in the garage while I'm home. the car has sounded incredibly bad the last few days with morning temps in the high teens. no amount of driving/warming up has helped the issue.

the last two days the temps have "risen" to about 50-55...the noise has greatly subsided. it's still there on certain bumps, but not every time I turn my steering wheel. not sure I can handle much more of this. I have never really noticed a difference from these sway bars from the OEM bars and the noise is just not what I expect from Lexus.

I had mine installed at the dealer...you think they'll do the swap for free since I'm having noise that Lexus cannot/won't fix?
Old 12-15-09, 10:17 AM
RooRa
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i disagree, to me that shows
1) the shop is not experienced and not a good one at all, and
2) they should have paid for the replacement, you shouldn't be responsible

going to dealership doesn't mean it's always better. i know a lot of good techs, but i also see a lot of bad ones. i have seen tech dropping brand new spark plugs to the floor, pick it up, look around, and put it in the car. my m3 i got a flat, came back with vibrations, and found out that the wheels are tq to over 130 ft-lb. it's totally wrong to think that dealerships do better work

and in terms of guarantees, a good shop will provide you with as good if not better guarantee. i do install for people, if i break anything, i pay for everything. if something doesn't work, i charge nothing (even if it's not my problem). if they have issues, they come back any time and i help them. the shops i have been to, they broke something and apologized and paid for everything for me

again i am not saying one is better for sure, but i am saying it's not right to assume dealership is better
clearly understand what you are saying. i dont assume they are better, but just don't want to go through what I went through already. I don't know any reputable mechanics around my area, so i don't know who to go to unless like someone said there is someone who only works on lexus cars. Just don't want to go through the hassle for couple bucks cheaper.

rominl if you were around my way, i would have def went to you for everything
Old 12-15-09, 11:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
some additional things I've noticed...

recent temperatures/weather have been very cold, for this time of year. my car is kept in the garage while I'm home. the car has sounded incredibly bad the last few days with morning temps in the high teens. no amount of driving/warming up has helped the issue.

the last two days the temps have "risen" to about 50-55...the noise has greatly subsided. it's still there on certain bumps, but not every time I turn my steering wheel. not sure I can handle much more of this. I have never really noticed a difference from these sway bars from the OEM bars and the noise is just not what I expect from Lexus.

I had mine installed at the dealer...you think they'll do the swap for free since I'm having noise that Lexus cannot/won't fix?
well i guess lexus is still coming out with a fix (which is taking quite long i have to say). you can talk to your dealer and see if they can do something about it (which i doubt)

a lot of time noises like these do get worse with low temp

Originally Posted by RooRa
clearly understand what you are saying. i dont assume they are better, but just don't want to go through what I went through already. I don't know any reputable mechanics around my area, so i don't know who to go to unless like someone said there is someone who only works on lexus cars. Just don't want to go through the hassle for couple bucks cheaper.

rominl if you were around my way, i would have def went to you for everything
lol, cali has nice weather
Old 12-23-09, 09:55 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

has anyone heard of any updates regarding a fix for the sways? i'm itching to do this mod (but not until lexus has fixed the problem).
Old 12-25-09, 12:48 AM
LexiGS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about anyone in CA with F-Sport sway bar? any noises? since the weather is a lot warmer than east coast
Old 12-25-09, 09:47 AM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by LexiGS
How about anyone in CA with F-Sport sway bar? any noises? since the weather is a lot warmer than east coast
Yes. Noise is in CA too. More so in the morning than any other time... even during the summer.
Old 12-25-09, 03:54 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had no issues with mine? Only thing I did different then the rest was replace the end links. Not saying that is the issue but I have had no issues or noises with mine.
Old 12-25-09, 06:24 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here no noise so far and has been over 3-4 months.
Old 12-29-09, 08:51 AM
dlieu8989
Rookie

I have a 2006 GS430 with the F-Sport swaybars. I've had them installed back in September. I was noise free for a month and I had the knock. Just last week I decided to put foam tape all over the bushing. I basically applied foam tape at:

1. the sway bar where it contacts the inside of the bushing
2. bottom of the bushing where it meets the bracket
3. top of bushing where it meets the body

note that the foam tape i used is the thick and heavier stuff. almost the same as your foam mouse pad but not as thick. I did this about a week ago and it's night and day. Noise is totally gone and I haven't noticed any performance changes. I imagine that it's just a temporary fix but who knows? I'll keep you guys posted if the noise comes back.

My theory is that the problem definitely lies in the bushing. Material is one cause but IMHO the bushing is just too thin. I don't remember how thick the bushing was when I first installed it but after inspecting the bushing after 3-4 months of having it installed, I never noticed that the bushing was so thin. I'm guessing that the bushing shrank? Maybe the rubber bushing compresses after a certain period of time? or maybe it was just that thin when I first got it.

Anyhow, give this a try and see how it works out for you. Also I imagine if you had access to 1/8" thin strips of rubber, It should do the trick too. Let me know if you guys have any questions.
Old 12-29-09, 10:14 PM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

My knocking noise is crazy loud now... just wanna know if they are even working on a fix? Give us a notice or something...
Old 01-01-10, 12:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I had my bushings replaced and it helped for a while bu the noise is back and its starting to get louder. Didnt someone from Sewell say that they were in the process of creating a new set of bushings????? At the next service I am going to have them put felt tape underneath the bushings and I want then to call Lexus corporate to find out when the new bushing will be released. I will let you guys know.My experience with the intake and the sway bars have been terrible. No more F sport parts for me.

I never had 1 issue with my Nismo sway bars on my G35 for 4 years and dozens of track days. They were also much thicker and provided better handling. When I spoke to my service guy he said the dealership has only sold 2 sets. Mine and I think 1STLXS.
Old 01-01-10, 12:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gs350Lola
My knocking noise is crazy loud now... just wanna know if they are even working on a fix? Give us a notice or something...
you can have Lexus replace the bushings to new ones to help it and buy you some time before the new ones come out. They better get moving. I am disappointed with F sport

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-Sport Sway Bars Knocking