Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

GS AWD (lowered suspension data)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 07:12 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

the awd sits higher so if you get the same springs, the awd will still sit higher
Old 05-12-09, 07:55 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I will install my NF210's at the end of the week and let you know. I have 20's on an AWD.
Old 05-12-09, 10:08 AM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Ride is pretty good so far. Still smooth, but far from the factory smooth. Car feels more planted to the ground, but still has a lot of body roll when taking the turns, but that's expected.

Personally, I would have preferred a stiffer spring rate over the spring rates that the DF210's have. I like the feel of the road and feedback from the car.

I am riding on stock struts. You have to, unless you're on coilovers, since there are no aftermarket struts made, as far as I know.

Tsavo, you're right. The same springs will lower the car the same amount, but the difference lies in the strut design. AWD is taller. Rear is the same design. The rear strut for the AWD is the same for the RWD models, so if you lower it, the rear height will lower the same on both RWD and AWD, but if you do the front on our car, the drop height will be the same, but still won't be as low, because of the strut.
Old 05-12-09, 10:26 AM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tungo
Yes, NF210 is weak sauce, for me at least. Drop is not noticeable enough. It makes the car look like a stock RWD GS when I saw one in person. DF210 is the way to go, if you want a more serious drop. 2 fingers in rear, 3 in front. Front sits a little bit higher, because of the front strut design.

No vibrations at all. There was a vibration when it was very cold outside, i.e. 0-5 degrees, but that subsided and it doesn't even exist now with the warmer temperatures. I've been up to 80-90 on the highway with nothing.

I'm gonna be switching out to the BC Racing full sleeve coilovers very soon. My car may convert some folks to go with the DF210, if they don't opt for coilovers or air.

BTW, car is far from complete. Just got it in December. Will be finished by the end of this year.
wait, so you are dropped on df210s and still have 2-3 finger gaps????
if thats the case, NF are definitely out of the question for me, and i will be saving up for either coilovers, or air suspension. is your car bouncy at all? that was one thing i hated about my tc, it was dropped pretty low on ksport springs, 1 finger gap up front, and tucking in the rear, it bounced quite a bit. i remember i got pulled over on a freeway bridge once and the car bounced pretty much the whole time i was pulled over. i definitely dont want to have that happen with the lexus.
Old 05-13-09, 01:17 AM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes DF210. 2-3 fingers in the front and 2 in the rear. Personally, I felt that the NF210 wasn't near enough. 1" to close a gap that is about 4" between the tire and fender? That's not enough at all.

It doesn't float like the stock suspension does if you can understand what I mean by that. It picks up on the bumps and there is more feedback of the road from the car than factory. It doesn't bounce like blown suspension.

When I swap out to the BC Coils, I'm gonna keep the ride height on the rear the same as the DF210 and lower the front a little more than the DF210 front.

I'm in Hawaii right now and just saw a black GS dressed up in full carson-tuned kit and massive iForged wheels at the sheraton waikiki. Real head-turner minus the dozen or so dings all over it, in addition to the 2 Starburst candy colored Lotus Exige's parked next to it
Old 05-13-09, 02:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iocca
wait, so you are dropped on df210s and still have 2-3 finger gaps????
if thats the case, NF are definitely out of the question for me, and i will be saving up for either coilovers, or air suspension. is your car bouncy at all? that was one thing i hated about my tc, it was dropped pretty low on ksport springs, 1 finger gap up front, and tucking in the rear, it bounced quite a bit. i remember i got pulled over on a freeway bridge once and the car bounced pretty much the whole time i was pulled over. i definitely dont want to have that happen with the lexus.
were you on stock struts?
Old 05-13-09, 09:16 AM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
were you on stock struts?
yes, i was on stock struts.
Old 05-13-09, 09:41 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

more than likely they tc struts were blown because they couldnt handle such a low drop.
Old 05-21-09, 03:12 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally got my DF210s installed on my 06 GS300 AWD. Drop is great but its a little bouncy and the camber is pretty bad. I now have that vibration issue most have when the car is stopped and during acceleration 10-20 mph. Looks like I'm going to have to go with the coil overs whenever they come out. It doesn't make sense to go up to the NF210s...to raise the car up .5 inches.
Old 05-23-09, 10:42 PM
apok003
Driver

Can we see some pics? I too am thinking about getting rid of my NF and getting a set of DF's, or just save up for the coils...
Old 05-25-09, 09:05 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Before

After
Old 06-11-09, 10:17 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

telmz/iocca/ anyone else - has anyone had any issues with the DF's? i am trying to decide between the NF and DF springs. reading this thread, there seems to be less issues/vibration with the Tanabe as opposed to the Tein. the DF drop looks great, but if the ride quality is drastically different from the NF, i may have to go with the lesser drop. any input would be greatly appreciated either way. thanks
Old 06-11-09, 12:12 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

neither are low enough for me, im going bags or coilovers
Old 06-11-09, 12:22 PM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

gotcha - i think i should have been asking tungo, as it was his car not yours. can't go too low, drive 55mi each way to work
Old 06-11-09, 04:27 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

As soon as I hear feedback from those who get the BC Coil overs that the vibration issues are gone I'm going to get rid of my DFs. If the vibrations remain an issue, I'm going to get the NFs. I love the drop but the bouncy ride is not worth it.

Quick Reply: GS AWD (lowered suspension data)