Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.
View Poll Results: Who has or has not had success with this TSB.
Success
31.25%
Failed
68.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Success with TSIB Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 06:42 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jace7
A C/S THERE IS A TICKING NOISE COMING FROM 5738 NOISE FROM RIGHT AND LEFT SIDE SPEAKER COVERS LOCATED ON DASH.
550994 1.0 91/57 FP# 55409-30230-C0 REMOVED SPEAKER COVERS AND ADDED FELT TO COVER AND CLIPS. TEST DROVE AFTER RAPAIR AND RATTLE WAS GONE. LET VEHICLE SIT IN COLD WEATHER FOR A FEW HOURS AND TEST DROVE AGAIN, RATTLE STILL GONE.
From the description it does not appear they performed the TSIB. Did they say why?
Old 12-19-06, 06:56 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS2006
From the description it does not appear they performed the TSIB. Did they say why?
They said my VIN # came after the service bulletin so there was no "need", he did say he removed the cowl and the pins on the previous service.

The pins that are in the service bulletin that are in concern are for the robots in the factory to align when building. At least explanation he gave me. The part in the SB was fixed last time around he said....
he said the pins are accesed from lifting the hood, he did that the 1st time in he said.

I said "you might need to take off dash then".... he said I sure hope not b/c that's a days work....

suggestions? I told him and sent him the bulletin, he said my GS was not in concern with that, but last time when he was filding around he did what it said anyways, just to be safe..... I don't know.... jsut what he said though....

Last edited by Jace7; 12-19-06 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-19-06, 06:59 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Jace,

Don’t put to much faith in the TSIB. Problem I have it is very hard to duplicate noise on demand. Need cold weather and right type of road.
Also it's not that hard to duplicate.....
take your hand, get it kinda sticky, moist, hot blow air... you get it... anyways, just put your whole hand flat on the dash, as if you were palming a Basket ball, flat, get it. then when your hands have a grip of the dash, push it down, as to move the dash kind of, in and out, towards the windshield. I get it duplicated every time....
Old 12-20-06, 06:36 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Also it's not that hard to duplicate.....
take your hand, get it kinda sticky, moist, hot blow air... you get it... anyways, just put your whole hand flat on the dash, as if you were palming a Basket ball, flat, get it. then when your hands have a grip of the dash, push it down, as to move the dash kind of, in and out, towards the windshield. I get it duplicated every time....

Yes, pushing on the dash can make part of the noise. On my car I can not always get it to do it by pushing on the dash. The service guy give me an idiot look when I show him that and said I have to hear it when driving the car. Actually he was kinda rude, only time I got that from Lexus. When you say hot air, did you blow hot air on the dash with a hair dryer?

Last edited by GS2006; 12-20-06 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-20-06, 06:42 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

They said my VIN # came after the service bulletin so there was no "need", he did say he removed the cowl and the pins on the previous service
Interesting.. If that is the case why did they add 07 GS and the new LS460 to the list.

The pins that are in the service bulletin that are in concern are for the robots in the factory to align when building. At least explanation he gave me. The part in the SB was fixed last time around he said....
he said the pins are accesed from lifting the hood, he did that the 1st time in he said.
Told me the same thing 6 months after I first took my car to them.

I said "you might need to take off dash then".... he said I sure hope not b/c that's a days work.... .
Yea, I told them I did not want to take the dash off because most likely something would get damaged or marked up and may give more rattles. Again the guy gives me that stupid look and said "if we damage something we will replace or fix it". .. Yea, just like they fixed the sawed metal under the hood
Old 12-20-06, 08:11 AM
rainforest
Rookie

Just so you know, I also have the dash noises just below the front windshield. However, mine do not seem to be affected by cold weather - it is always just there. I have an 07 450h. I thought there was a TSB that stated the dash noise came from outside the window, and that replacing the windshield cowl would repair it.

From the sounds of it, getting it fixed may even make things worse.
Old 12-20-06, 08:17 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rainforest
I thought there was a TSB that stated the dash noise came from outside the window, and that replacing the windshield cowl would repair it.
Do you have a TSB number or link?
Old 12-20-06, 02:10 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, pushing on the dash can make part of the noise. On my car I can not always get it to do it by pushing on the dash. The service guy give me an idiot look when I show him that and said I have to hear it when driving the car. Actually he was kinda rude, only time I got that from Lexus. When you say hot air, did you blow hot air on the dash with a hair dryer?
I just meant hot air, meaning blow hot air from your mouth, to your hands, to get them moist, kinda grippy. Then move dash. Better grip is all.
Old 12-21-06, 09:08 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default loud tick?

I don't think what I heard in my GS350 is the 'rattle' described here. Not sure what I heard as I pulled into my driveway, but it has happened twice, both times pulling into my driveway, coming off the road. Best way to describe it is as if someone threw a marble at the windshield and it hits and bounces off (as opposed to cracking it). It's one time and really loud! Maybe the car was flexed a certain way getting onto the driveway? I don't hear it usually when I pull in and have not heard it any other time... any thoughts?
Old 12-21-06, 10:04 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Guys & gals.....we have a great car on our hands and yes it costs 40-50 grand...so it should be perfect....but it is not. Let me tell you my story...this has been posted before....
Bought car 6/05.....rattles show up within 2 months, one from the glove box area they could not isolate, 1-2 form dash, they replaced some speaker housing and things were OK. (this was b4 5k service).....then I go to dealer, for 5K service...again car is rattling from dash and glove box....Car is there for 2-3 weeks, someone sits on the driver seat sooo long it literally gets a huge crinkle in the leather, then there is some lot damage to my front fender...they buff / wetsand the fender to almost perfection, but leather remains crinkled. 2 months later dash rattles return, the glove box rattle I remedy with felt...Last month, I demand a new leather seat...3 weeks in shop getting a new seat cover installed while i drive a longo lexus GS around as a loaner...I did not even mention the rattles again, I just figure theyre part of the car and thats that ..I was planning on the new GX when it is released, but I wonder if that is a good idea now...
Old 12-26-06, 03:35 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

http://lexushelp.com/Ownership/Bulle...V/NV004-06.pdf

Took the GS 430 in this morning. Tech heard the rattle and was surprised how loud it was. All three procedures being done per TSIB NV004-06. Fixing paint from previous dealer. Praying that I do not get the car back with damage done to dash and other areas as I had with previous dealer. Have concerns about the dash being removed.

Got a call from service department and it may be awhile before the new cowl arrives .
Driving the ES 350 loaner.
Old 12-27-06, 01:08 PM
planoag
Rookie

Well the rattle has appeared onmine now and it is driving me crazy. I guess I will plan a trip to the Dealer to get the TSIB done. It looks like I will also need all three procedures and the dash removal really scares me (since I did the SLX install and DVD bypass). Will they screw something up and then blame it on the fact that I have modded the car already? Dratz!! I hate this ;-)
Old 12-30-06, 09:02 AM
Izzone
Rookie

Dropped mine off yesterday, I should get it back Tuesday. I will keep posted if it works.
Old 12-30-06, 09:31 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Well to give you all an update........
I took my 450h in 3 days ago, drove it without the cowl even in the car, no clips were there, b/c he removed them last time... So he thought the rattle was in the dash..... Still a rattle.
SO, tech took my whole dash apart supposely felted and foamed the whole entire thing. I was told there is no rattle. I told them to keep it, I don't want it back with a rattle still there.....
I also had them 3M the everything (lower bumper and area behind the rear fender...they didn't do before.....
Also installed the XM...

I pick it up today after they teflon finish the car... I will update... I am semi hopefull about the rattle, but we will see. Maybe 4th time is a charm......
I'll let you know in about 5 hours...
Old 12-30-06, 12:17 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Mine has been at the dealership since Tues. I am going right now to pick it up.

Quick Reply: Success with TSIB Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise