Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.
View Poll Results: Who has or has not had success with this TSB.
Success
31.25%
Failed
68.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Success with TSIB Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise

Old 01-16-07, 10:29 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this out,
THe IS guys are fixing the rattles themselves!
http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...=253467&page=4
Old 01-16-07, 04:47 PM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

THIS BITES!!! I fricken have this dash rattle after spending 45K+ on a car, WOW!!!!
Old 01-19-07, 09:45 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn it!!

I am getting this annoying rattle on the right side dashboard around the glovebox and windshield area. This rattle occurs when going over ruttled potholed roads and not when I am going over a smooth bump. Is this the rattle that you guys are talking about? I bought my 2006 GS300 AWD in August, and I think it may be the one under the TSB. Should I take it in?? I dont want the dashboard to be removed and messed up.
Old 01-20-07, 05:47 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Frustrated with noises and ready to give up

My GS300 spent almost 2 weeks last summer at the dealer to resolve dash noises. The windshield pins were removed earlier before there was a TSB for it.

After the dealer had the car in the summer, the dash was very quiet. But slowly I began to hear noises coming from the drivers side and passenger side door. The passenger side door was the worst. So I started thinking about my next visit to the dealer.

Then, the temps dropped to the mid 30s this past week. The dash noises were the loudest and most frequent I've experienced with this car. Every little nuance in the road caused a click or tap mostly towards the center dash area. Strangely, the passenger door noises quieted down, or they were masked by the loud dash noises.

Fortunately it usually isn't this cold during the day where I live. With the afternoon temp now at 50 degrees, the dash is fairly quiet again. But I'm about ready to give up trying to fix interior noises with this Lexus. Other than these noises, it's a great car. But it's also a huge disappointment for a $50K car to have these ongoing irritations that apparently cannot be resolved.
Old 01-20-07, 09:00 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, no car that you spend a penny over 40 or 50K, whatever you all paid, sould ever have a rattle. It's very annoying. Mine still isn't perfect. It is 98.9% gone but still a rattle sometimes. I'm done dealing with it. More important things to occupy my time with than this damn rattle.
Good luck all in taking care of the rattle. I feel your pain.
Old 01-20-07, 12:37 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Doing my own test to see if this makes a difference in the rattle.
Old 01-28-07, 02:26 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

GS2006,

Did your method of putting those rubber pieces between the dash and the pillar help the rattle at all? My rattle is noisy than a yugo, and its so embarrassing that I am taking it in this week.
Old 01-28-07, 07:39 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
GS2006,

Did your method of putting those rubber pieces between the dash and the pillar help the rattle at all? My rattle is noisy than a yugo, and its so embarrassing that I am taking it in this week.
Tomorrow will be a week with the ugly hack I did. So far no rattle from that area only the one introduced by dealer dash board removal under the instrument panel on the driver’s side. I have informed the dealer and I’m taking the car back in tomorrow morning. I have noticed the rubber pinched between the pillar and the windshield seems to be the trick. On the drive home Thursday, I noticed a muted rattle (barely could hear it) and when I check the rubber, it had slipped and was loose. I retighten it and it disappeared. If you are having the same rattle, before they hack your car and take the dash out, try this hack patch. If this fixes it, then show them what they need to do. I told two dealers exactly where the noise was and it seemed all they wanted to do is cut tabs and take the dash apart. So, if this works for you, you may have to be firm with them.

I’m taking my car in the morning to have the new cowl, new introduced dash rattle fixed, and for them to find a cosmetically appealing solution for my fix. Most likely my dash will be removed for a second time.

Last edited by GS2006; 01-28-07 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-28-07, 08:49 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Can you please tell me what type of rubber it is or where I can get something like that from? Sorry for the dumb question, but I want to try it tmw before I take my car in on Wednesday, Thanks!
Old 01-29-07, 07:34 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Rexus300,
Sure, no problem. Hope it helps.
I took an old bicycle inter tube and cut around 3 1/2 “to 4” in length (26” trail bike inter tube). I then cleaned the residue off with Windex. There is some power like substance on the inside of the tube. I then cut some plastic a little bigger than the rubber pieces to place between the car and the rubber. I did this so no oils from the rubber would leach on to the car. I then used a butter knife ( one that has a bend in it) similar to this:

But mine has a little more bend in the handle. Used this to push the rubber into place. Don’t push to hard and do not push into the side panel material. I used more force toward the dash side and toward the window. It should slide in pretty easily. You may have to work it slowly since it will tend to pull back out when you remove the knife. I had to fold the piece between the window and the pillar twice to get it tight enough to do the job.

Good luck. My car is back at the dealer. Once I removed the rubber pieces it sounded like the speaker was blown. That is how loud it gets. Does yours get that loud?
Old 01-29-07, 10:21 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Guess what,
I found the rattle to be the speaker cover hitting the dashboard windshield. Thanks GS2006 for the headsup on putting the insulation between the windshield and the dashboard. I used my workout headband and stuck right into the space. Amazing!! No more rattle. I feel I am gonna outsmart my Lexus Dealer who thinks we must take the dashboard out and insulate it according to the TSB you guys pointed out.
Attached Thumbnails Success with TSIB Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise-444799609_orig.jpg  
Old 01-29-07, 11:54 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Guess what,
I found the rattle to be the speaker cover hitting the dashboard windshield. Thanks GS2006 for the headsup on putting the insulation between the windshield and the dashboard. I used my workout headband and stuck right into the space. Amazing!! No more rattle. I feel I am gonna outsmart my Lexus Dealer who thinks we must take the dashboard out and insulate it according to the TSB you guys pointed out.
Not so quick. If you show them this they will say you are pushing the dash board down causing the pins that hold the dash to move down. Then back to the TSIB .. I have found you can push on the pillar, front of the dash, glove box and it will mute or remove the rattle. One thing for sure, it is not the dash pins unless the TSB is just not good enough. Are you sure the cover is touching the windshield? Anyway, mine is back in the shop.

Snow Blind, looks like a lot of snow. My rattle is bad at 30 deg, can only imagine how bad it is at 10 deg.

Last edited by GS2006; 01-29-07 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-29-07, 12:29 PM
Jackfruit
Driver School Candidate

I also have this obnoxious rattle in my 2003 GS. How much are these repairs at the dealer costing you? I would imagine that removing a dash would cost an arm and a leg in labor. I'm trying to decide how much money this rattle is worth. Thanks.
Old 01-29-07, 01:17 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jackfruit
I also have this obnoxious rattle in my 2003 GS. How much are these repairs at the dealer costing you? I would imagine that removing a dash would cost an arm and a leg in labor. I'm trying to decide how much money this rattle is worth. Thanks.
This is covered under the warranty. It would cost a fortune to have them “attempt” to fix it. If you want it fixed in an older car, you would be better off doing it yourself.
Old 01-29-07, 02:02 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS2006
Not so quick. If you show them this they will say you are pushing the dash board down causing the pins that hold the dash to move down. Then back to the TSIB .. I have found you can push on the pillar, front of the dash, glove box and it will mute or remove the rattle. One thing for sure, it is not the dash pins unless the TSB is just not good enough. Are you sure the cover is touching the windshield? Anyway, mine is back in the shop.

Snow Blind, looks like a lot of snow. My rattle is bad at 30 deg, can only imagine how bad it is at 10 deg.
Actually, to be more specific, the speaker cover is about .5 inch away from the windshield but I notice that when i press or lightly slap or fist my stereo cover it would make the horrible rattle noise that I hear when driving so I assume it must have to do something with the speakers. As for the pins, are they near and below the speaker near the windshield? Are those the ones the dealer might cut or fix by taking the windshield out and not the dashboard? Since you and I did the same hack and stuff and it works, what should I tell my dealer to do and not to do since this is my first time going in to fix the rattle. I need to make sure by wednesday. BTW , I am glad you are helping out GS2006. Its about 15 degrees here in Ann Arbor, Mi, and its hell.

Last edited by Rexus300; 01-29-07 at 02:14 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Success with TSIB Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise