Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

How does AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension) work compared to other active suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 09:33 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How does AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension) work compared to other active suspensions

I know GM has magneride which isn't even a true semi-active suspension system but still a pretty brilliant and effective design that allows shock absorbers to independently become as soft or as firm as they need to be to compensate for bumps and turns more than 1000 times every second.
It's made by Delphi and good enough that Ferrari has licensed the technology for use on some of their models. It's an option on the new Corvette and some Buick and Caddy models.

I was told that Porsche and Mercedes offer even more impressive suspension technology using actual actuators that can actually move the entire suspension assembly up and down as well as adjust firmness on the fly to theoretically make most bumps all but disappear. Kinda like moving the wheel just enough out of the way of a bump to where it's still making contact with the road but doesn't really 'feel' the bump, either, then firms right back up a thousandth of a second later to be ready for any turns or other bumps.

So my question is - is Lexus' AVS in the same league as GM or better yet Porsche and/or Mercedes? How does their technology work? Could it be classified as an active or semi-active suspension, or neither?

My wife's 4runner has X-reas on it, which makes a noticable improvement in terms of sway and roll in turns but does absolutely nothing that I've been able to discern in terms of ride comfort or anything else. It's more like a smart system to compensate for sway bars on the fly - kinda like the Lexus' GX' Kinetic Dynamic suspension system - again, all that is from what I've been able to tell is adaptive sway bars. It has much the same benefit as X-reas, but to a greater extent than X-reas and using a completely different method of doing so.

So now I wanna know about Lexus cars equipped with AVS and also want to know if Lexus has any more advanced active suspension systems in the works.
Old 06-04-06, 06:30 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow so nobody knows anything about AVS' inner workings? Or is this just a bad place to post it.

Are there at least any good reviews of the GS430 w/ AVS and how it rides compared to the GS300 without it?
Old 06-04-06, 06:53 PM
jwa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a GS 300 without it, and I now have the 450H with it. Under normal driving conditions, there is a slight perception of more firmness and road feedback in the sport mode. I believe that in normal mode, the system automaticaly implements sport settings when the conditions require it. Sports mode over-rides the system and retains sports settings all the time. So, the choice is based more on comfort than performance.

From the Lexus website:

AVS is a computer-controlled system that continuously adjusts shock-absorber damping rates to help provide appropriate ride comfort and handling precision. Sensors monitor wheel speed, engine rpm, steering-wheel movement, brake application and vertical body motion to determine the ideal damping rate for each shock. The driver also has a console switch to select the damping firmness. There are four positions for the GX and LX. There are two positions, from Sport to Comfort, for the GS 430. The GX and LX positions range from Comfort to Sport also.
Old 06-04-06, 07:51 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

can you you do suspension mods (springs/coilovers) if you have the AVS option?
Old 06-04-06, 07:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
can you you do suspension mods (springs/coilovers) if you have the AVS option?
Since its standard on the GS 430 and many here have upgraded their suspensions, the answer is yes.
Old 06-04-06, 10:32 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Since its standard on the GS 430 and many here have upgraded their suspensions, the answer is yes.

heh...thanks!...but what i meant to say is can springs/coilovers work with the Active Stabilizer Suspension System (the $3,400 option on the GS450h) and maybe other GS models.
Old 06-05-06, 01:14 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
heh...thanks!...but what i meant to say is can springs/coilovers work with the Active Stabilizer Suspension System (the $3,400 option on the GS450h) and maybe other GS models.
As long as the Active Stabilzer Suspension System is not electronically controlled or works independent of the double wishbone suspension (which they usually are), you should be able to mod the suspension.

To add on to what 1SICKLEX said, AVS controls for Sport/Comfort will not work with a coilover system or aftermarket shock combination as AVS is literally Lexus' less complex version of Tein's EDFC.