Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RS-R down or ARK Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 08:14 PM
mexicanzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Excellent, thanks! The drop looks perfectly balanced on yours, congrats.

But I see you don't have an F-Sport, and also have different rims. What size rim and tires, including widths, are the ones you have on now with the springs? Perhaps it's that, but it appears the difference in suspension components between F-Sport and non is a definite factor. To wit, from Mike above:

This is exactly what I expected -- minimal difference on 3xx AWD F-Sport from Half-Downs (and probably why RS-R doesn't specify them). But if mine drops too much I'm gonna come knocking for your rear Halfs, Mr. Mexicanzer
No I don't have an f sport but from all my research I came to a conclusion that the springs are all the same, it's the shocks and struts that are stiffer with the f sport package and they don't affect height so it should be the same for either.

My winters that are currently on are 225/45/17 I think 7.5 wide. My summers are the same staggered size as the f sports. I can assure you the fender gaps were the same with either set. And they have different offsets, by my calculations the winters only stick out 1mm more than the summers and are practically the same diameter.

​​​​​​If my car maintains its current height the rears will be up for sale in a few weeks, so let me know.
Old 03-23-19, 08:48 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

We'll need to see pics from mikellucci to compare, as there must be some reason for the difference in results.

I'm just waiting for my mechanic to have the time to do the springs, then I'll know. I told him they should take only about an hour -- is that about right? He's probably not familiar with the car, so anything or pointers of note that would be helpful?
Old 03-23-19, 09:04 PM
mexicanzer
Driver School Candidate

Nothing special about this car, similar suspension to tons of others. Better design than most, was an easy swap.
Took me 3 hours to do bushings front springs road test alignment and car wash. So all 4 should be doable in an hour or slightly more with someone that knows their way around cars.
You shouldn't have to give a mechanic pointers..... If you do, find another one.
Old 03-23-19, 09:13 PM
mexicanzer
Driver School Candidate

The only software I have access to at home has book time for front coil springs at 2.9hrs and rears at 2.6hrs.. Sometimes it's scary how wrong book time can be, it's worse when it's the other way cause then the guy doing the work is getting underpaid, an honest shop may quote the outrageous 5+ hour job but won't charge it if it doesn't take that long.

I'd say 1.5-2 hours is fair for the job and likely what my shop would charge, but depending on where you live things may be different.
Old 03-23-19, 09:22 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

I had one shop quote me some outrageous "book" amount for a set of springs. Something like 7 hours and over $1000. In the how-to here, some had made comments about a couple things different for the AWD versus RWD that didn't need doing. Apparently the rears are so simple they're maybe 30min.
Old 03-23-19, 09:31 PM
mexicanzer
Driver School Candidate

Yeah you just have to put a Jack under the control arm then remove 3 or so bolts and loosen a fourth and slowly lower the Jack until you can remove the spring, reverse it for installation. On the front you need spring compressors but other than that a little twisting and prying and that's all. No arms or anything fancy have to be removed. Just gotta watch out for the abs wire, they don't like being pulled on much.
The following users liked this post:
AtomicAWD (03-23-19)
Old 03-25-19, 07:42 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mexicanzer
Got my front half down springs on today.
So far I think it's just about perfect. Dropped almost half an inch which is exactly how much I wanted.
Both front and rear(with 3/4 tank of gas) measure 25 5/8 from the ground to the fender now, before the front measured 26 1/8-26 1/4. As long as they don't settle too much I'll be happy.
I installed rcf lower control arm bushings at the same time so it's hard to really talk about the ride quality of justjthe springs but I can say with the bushings the ride is still pretty much just like stock but turning the steering back and forth quickly like a slalom or doing quick lane charges feels much much better. That's likely due mostly to the bushings.
The thickness of the coils is the same as stock +- 0.05mm so spring rate must be very close.

All in all I PERSONALLY think it's worth it, obviously if you're looking to drop your car or anything like that then it's not. I'm sure most people won't agree with me but that's ok.

I've got to give tons of thanks for trying what many of us on this thread have been wondering, and posting what it looks like. Curious to see how it looks after about a week. If you could post a pic of your car's side profile from a little further out, I think that would give great perspective. Also, love that you have the same year and model as mine for perspective (2016 awd is300 non-fsport). At the moment, it definitely appears to fix my issue, the front rake by getting rid of a fingers worth of gap.

Question, is the tape measure shots order rear, then front?

Last edited by cliffhokie; 03-25-19 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-25-19, 07:45 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
We'll need to see pics from mikellucci to compare, as there must be some reason for the difference in results.

I'm just waiting for my mechanic to have the time to do the springs, then I'll know. I told him they should take only about an hour -- is that about right? He's probably not familiar with the car, so anything or pointers of note that would be helpful?
Could also just be a difference in preference/expectations/perspective, mikellucci might have wanted a more drastic result whereas mexicanzer may have wanted and had more realistic expectations. Tough to tell without the pics for comparison.

Last edited by cliffhokie; 03-25-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-25-19, 09:28 AM
mexicanzer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cliffhokie
I've got to give tons of thanks for trying what many of us on this thread have been wondering, and posting what it looks like. Curious to see how it looks after about a week. If you could post a pic of your car's side profile from a little further out, I think that would give great perspective. Also, love that you have the same year and model as mine for perspective (2016 awd is300 non-fsport). At the moment, it definitely appears to fix my issue, the front rake by getting rid of a fingers worth of gap.

Question, is the tape measure shots order rear, then front?
No thanks needed, figured it was worth a shot. Would have likely taken a cheaper approach if I had a cheaper car but decided it was worth the expense. And as weird as I am there had to be someone else out there that was also wondering if it would work!

I'll try to get better side shots, so much snow everywhere it's hard to get a good side view in my driveway or on my street.

As far as I remember the first tape measure picture is rear, but honestly I forget. There looks to be 1/32 of difference in those 2 pics but when looking at it while measuring they looked to be almost exactly the same height.
Will definitely remeasure in a week or 2.
Old 03-25-19, 09:44 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I’ll take a pic of my dirty car at work so you can see. Lol
Im very realistic yet OCD and I think my main point was I don’t know how anyone can install both front and rear half downs and get an even balanced drop f to r on the awd. Again, I installed half downs FRONT ONLY and the rear of my car is still a hair lower than the front! This is by sight, not measurement.
Old 03-25-19, 09:50 AM
mexicanzer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikellucci
I’ll take a pic of my dirty car at work so you can see. Lol
Im very realistic yet OCD and I think my main point was I don’t know how anyone can install both front and rear half downs and get an even balanced drop f to r on the awd. Again, I installed half downs FRONT ONLY and the rear of my car is still a hair lower than the front! This is by sight, not measurement.
Yes installing the rears also would make the gap issue as bad or worse than stock.
Take some measurements as well first from the ground to the top of your Tire so we can compare tire diameter and then to the fender. Maybe your rear stock springs have sagged? Or maybe your half down front springs lowered your car less than mine?
Old 04-01-19, 08:19 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Hey -- so where's them pics and measurements?
Old 04-03-19, 12:04 PM
cliffhokie
Driver

Hopefully Canada is thawing out soon and we can see some of those pics. Curious about Truu and his Ark springs as well.
Old 04-03-19, 01:45 PM
mexicanzer
Driver School Candidate

Still not thawed out but I took this pic on Friday. Remeasured on Sunday and it hasn't even dropped a hair.
Old 04-03-19, 02:06 PM
cliffhokie
Driver

Originally Posted by mexicanzer
Still not thawed out but I took this pic on Friday. Remeasured on Sunday and it hasn't even dropped a hair.
Looking good, still looks very even and very similar to what the full half down set looks like on RWD.

Quick Reply: RS-R down or ARK Performance