Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein HD B6 with Vogtland Progressive Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 01:52 PM
RVAGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hm, odd that there were two different results on two different cars... I'll for sure do a comparison of the spring perches on the Bilsteins and stock struts to make sure I get it right. I don't want to use the perch to lower the car any more than the Eibach springs will.
Old 12-14-18, 08:08 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I drove a GS430 with these Vogtland's and Bilstein B8s. Fantastic combination. It's still comfortable but it's "new car" firm and feels lovely stable in corners. Very little "crashy" feel over bad pavement. I'll definitely be getting this combo, and doing a complete bushing overhaul if budget permits.
Old 02-16-24, 08:25 PM
Scorchez
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flash9
If anyone is interested here are the parts and suppliers that I used for this setup, plus some other parts that I replaced around the same time as the rest of the suspension.

My total cost was about $1,150, and that included the front upper control arms, front lower rear control arms, the front lower ball joints, and outer tie rods.
Thank you for this write up. How satisfied are you with this setup years later? Any further insights from your experience?
Old 02-17-24, 07:05 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Loving This Setup

Thank you for the inquiry.
After doing this upgrade, I found a 40,000 mile 2003 Lexus GS300 SportDesign.
I loved this setup so much I put both up on jack stands and my QuickJack and swapped suspensions.
I did some other front suspension upgrades at the same time.
I will pull one of the tires when I change the oil here in the next couple of days and do a brief write-up of what I did.
The car rides like it is brand new and when people drive with me they can not believe it is over 20 years old.
Below is a hint of some of the other upgrades I made.

Siberian Poly Bushings for Lower Control Arms.

MEVOTECH CMS861207 Supreme; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint; Adjustable

MEVOTECH CMS861207 Supreme; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint; Adjustable

The MAVOTECH Lower Control Arms are adjustable and this allows you to correct the Caster, Camber and/or Toe angles of your suspension, for proper alignment. Adjustable Control Arms are designed for lifted/modified, difficult to align, or significantly off spec suspensions. I have not lowered my car but these Control Arms have easily replaceable bushings without having to replace the complete control arm.
Old 02-17-24, 08:53 AM
JonGS3
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorchez
Thank you for this write up. How satisfied are you with this setup years later? Any further insights from your experience?
Just FYI, the Vogtland springs have been discontinued. They are what I originally wanted to install a few months ago when I got my car. The first places I tried to order them from showed them listed in stock but then cancelled the order because they couldn't get them. Then I ordered from Vogtland directly. After two weeks they didn't ship. Their phone number just goes to a voicemail message saying everyone is working from home. Multiple emails then went unanswered. I then found another supplier and had them contact their Vogtland rep who confirmed the discontinuation. I then had to do a charge back on my credit card to get a refund for my Vogtland order.

I've got Tein H-techs I'll be selling in about a month or so once I pull the rears off if you're interested. I like them and only put about 2k miles on them. They were the closest I could find to Vogtland insofar as being a modest drop without making the ride too rough but have since found a set of TRD springs I'm in the process of swapping over.
The following users liked this post:
Scorchez (02-17-24)
Old 02-17-24, 10:28 AM
Scorchez
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks @flash9 ! Eager to hear more about your set up when you get the chance.

I've got Tein H-Techs as well, but on KYB Excel shocks. Good setup. No complaints. I've been eyeing those Mevotech/SPC arms for the last few months. I need some camber correction in the front and these seem decent. I mean if Figs sells them as a 3rd party/cheaper alterative to their products on their site, then I would imagine they are of high quality.

Last edited by Scorchez; 02-17-24 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-18-24, 10:30 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Photos on the One and Only GS300 SportDesign in Black Cherry Pearl

This car was a one owner car with 40k miles.
I was able to pull-up every service that was done in the 18 years of ownership as the owner had the car serviced every six months at the local Lexus Dealership.
This included TWO Timing Belt changes
The interior was immaculate but the exterior paint was terrible. I later learned it spent it whole life out doors.
My favorite exterior color for the Lexus GS300 is Black Cherry Pearl, so rather than repainting it its original Black Onyx color, I had the whole car (except the engine bay) painted Black Cherry Pearl.

Front View - 2003 GS300 SportDesign - Black Cherry Pearl

Side View - 2003 GS300 SportDesign - Black Cherry Pearl

Rear View - 2003 GS300 SportDesign - Black Cherry Pearl

Driver Seat View - - 2003 GS300 SportDesign - Black Cherry Pearl

Custom GPS Mount - - 2003 GS300 SportDesign - Black Cherry Pearl
The following users liked this post:
Scorchez (02-19-24)