Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

need help chasing down a noise in the rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 09:03 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help chasing down a noise in the rear end

Backstory = I bought the car (2014 IS350 F-sport RWD) used with 30k on it less then a year old and that was a little over 2 years ago and this noise has been driving me mad ever since. I brought it to the dealer and after 2 days they eventually gave up and said they THINK its coming from above the heat shield and it would require removing the entire rear axle to get to it and if it was a twig of something warranty wouldn't cover it and it would be out of pocket. I am pretty sure it was a scare tactic that worked.

Symptoms =
When going over choppy bumps it is a light (thin) metal sound (but loud) almost like a lose heat shield (its not i checked when swapping summer to winters).
The timing seems to be more on suspension droop then on compression.
Sometimes i can get it to make the noise if i jerk the wheel left and right and shift the weight left to right or right to left. Which made me think maybe sway bar end links but i couldnt find any play in them at all.
It is temperature dependent. It is louder and consistent in the summer and minor in the winter but increases as the distance i drive and heat is generated. Which make me think bushing somewhere.
Manageable with windows up and stereo loud, but sounds like a jalopy with the windows down.
I have also checked repeatedly if i had any vertical, 1 to 6, or 9 to 3 play and there isn't anything obvious.
Also cannot replicate the noise by hand pressing down on the corners while parked.

Its not the gas cap door, that is another equally annoying noise from the rear.
It is not the exhaust shifting around

This is my big spring goal and would love any help before i just start buying parts and replacing things blindly.
Old 02-06-18, 05:01 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this noise coming from the left or right side? Are you able to tell?

I'm having a rear clunking noise going over bumpy roads as well (though not a metal sound) coming from what sounds like the rear passenger side. Initially I had thought it was the portable jack that came loose but I think I can rule that out.
Old 02-07-18, 10:17 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Originally Posted by chyeea03
Is this noise coming from the left or right side? Are you able to tell?

I'm having a rear clunking noise going over bumpy roads as well (though not a metal sound) coming from what sounds like the rear passenger side. Initially I had thought it was the portable jack that came loose but I think I can rule that out.
it is primarily the left side but sometimes if i hit a pothole on the right i still hear it. Another reason that i am leaning towards sway bar links or something of the sort.
Old 02-09-18, 09:57 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Check the emergency brake switch, pull (or step and release) it few times and hold it lock for few minutes. Thats how i fixed mine.
Old 02-11-18, 06:59 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

There's a TSB for that noise.
Old 02-12-18, 09:42 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Check the emergency brake switch, pull (or step and release) it few times and hold it lock for few minutes. Thats how i fixed mine.
I should've put that in the initial description. I tried this years ago when i noticed it first and it had no effect on the noise.
Old 02-12-18, 09:49 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Originally Posted by rL-gT
There's a TSB for that noise.
which TSB are you referring to? The closest i could find was for squealing brakes and excessive brake dust and that is not relevant here as my noise is a pronounced clunking.

At first i had thought maybe it was the calipers or pads bouncing around but i can still make the noise happen when going over bumps while on the brakes slightly which would mean that the calipers are now in a fixed position.
Old 02-12-18, 09:57 AM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Snowrydr01
which TSB are you referring to? The closest i could find was for squealing brakes and excessive brake dust and that is not relevant here as my noise is a pronounced clunking.

At first i had thought maybe it was the calipers or pads bouncing around but i can still make the noise happen when going over bumps while on the brakes slightly which would mean that the calipers are now in a fixed position.
There's a TSB for the rear brake shoes not being secured properly which would cause a metal clunking noise from the rear wheel area

It's there. Keep searching.
Old 02-12-18, 10:05 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

There's a TSB for the rear brake shoes not being secured properly which would cause a metal clunking noise from the rear wheel area

It's there. Keep searching.
is this the one you are thinking of?

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=192695
Old 02-12-18, 10:25 AM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

is this the one you are thinking of?

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=192695
Yep. That's the one.
Old 02-12-18, 11:23 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Yep. That's the one.
Thanks for the direction, it took a while to find a version that wasn't behind a pay wall. Of course it was released 4 months after i brought my car in to be looked at and was scared off by the dealer. I had to replace rear disks and pads in the spring anyway so i will do this while i am in there and report back.

I am a bit pessimistic though since the noise is temperature dependent and a variability like that always makes me think rubber as the first culprit.
Old 06-29-18, 06:07 PM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the direction, it took a while to find a version that wasn't behind a pay wall. Of course it was released 4 months after i brought my car in to be looked at and was scared off by the dealer. I had to replace rear disks and pads in the spring anyway so i will do this while i am in there and report back.

I am a bit pessimistic though since the noise is temperature dependent and a variability like that always makes me think rubber as the first culprit.
did the tsb fix it? If not it might be some body clips that came loose on the under panel of your chassis. The plastic cover is flopping around on bumps making the sound. I checked mine after 35k and screw and body clips came off. Check that
The following users liked this post:
07lexis (03-21-23)
Old 07-01-18, 11:05 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

A couple of things come to mind, remove everything from the trunk that comes out easily. Test drive.

With the help of a trusted friend, look under the car at the rear diff and with wheel chocks in place and trusted friend, place in drive and apply some throttle. Now watch and listen to rear diff for movement and noise. Some movement is ok. Repeat in reverse. A drive on lift would be best...
Remove one end link from the anti-sway bar. Be wise with your steering inputs when test driving.

With these items done, that leaves exhaust, maybe the e-brake pads, heat shields etc.
Good luck!

Stock shocks and springs or ???