Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering Wheel Vibrating Issues when Braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 11:29 PM
NMAYSONET
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Vibrating Issues when Braking

I'm not sure what I can do about this but my car at 36k miles never had an issue with vibrating or shaking; I took the car into service to change oil and brakes and was offered to change my rotors because they were apparently worn even tho I had no apparent issue with them I said yes. About 9k miles later I brought it back in and they told me I needed to change them again. So I changed them again with the brakes this time because of the steering whee vibrating, I leave to find the car is still vibrating. I bring it back and they change it as a courtesy and I leave again. I didn't notice it until I was braking lighly from about 75 mph to take an exit. Once again I bring it back; they tell me my rotors are warped AGAIN with under 1k miles on it from the previous time. I purchased them AGAIN. And once again I leave and the car is still vibrating lighly when I'm braking lighly at around 70-75 to decrease speed. I don't brake hard at all so I'm wondering if it's something else? 3 sets of rotors and brakes pads were replaced and the car is still doing the same thing within a 4K mile period.

What else could it be because I don't feel like Driving back to Lexus for an hour just for them to bull**** me.
Old 05-08-17, 11:20 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Most dealers will tell you that it is due to driving aggressively or constantly riding on brakes. This actually happened to my Mercedes last week after 5000 miles of pads and rotors being replaced, granted they replaced it for free but their reason for warping is inaccurate since I only drive this car 1 mile a day locally.

It could be lot of factors, anywhere from rusted rotors or hubs, uneven torque on the lug nuts, from installation,run-out from hub surface or even manufacture defect. It is almost impossible to warp the rotor just on a heat alone, unless you have extreme variable temperatures.

Take your time and check these things and bring it up to the dealer.
Old 05-08-17, 02:17 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

The vibration could also be caused by a caliper that a piston is starting to stick or seize.
The rotor might actually be fine...or if it is actually warped, and you feel you haven't driven it in a manor that would have caused it to warp, then addressing the calipers would be the next step.
I'm not sure if you have a 250 or 350, so hard to say if it's a slider or piston (on a 250) or just a piston (on a 350). The front calipers of the 2 models are vastly different.
If you feel the vibration in the steering wheel when you apply the brakes at high speed, then it's definitely the front brakes. If you feel the vibration in your seat when you hit the brakes at high speed, then it's the rear brakes.
That is a very simplistic breakdown of how to tell where the brake issue resides, but it's a good guideline to start with. And of course you will feel a little vibration in the brake pedal itself, whether it's front or rear.