Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

1998 sc400 rear driver side screech

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-17, 10:55 AM
Madatan1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 sc400 rear driver side screech

hey guys , I'm new to forums and everything , I tried looking for something that resembled but nothing really compared to mine , I don't know what it is , I looked at the pad and it wasn't touching the rotor so I'm all out of ideas. it screeches when I'm at a slow speed too , I can go 10-20 mph and it can screech. Sorry if this doesn't make that much sense but I can't really explain it !
Old 05-05-17, 02:55 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Have you tried taking the rotors off and inspecting the parking brake inside?
Old 05-05-17, 09:29 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

^^ Look at the parking brake setup underneath the rear rotor as blkexcoupe suggests.

Also, I'm not sure if this will be of any real help to you but I've had the same thing happen recently when I took my car in to have my SC's rear pads and rotors replaced. My car is running TT rear calipers and I used Centric rotors and OEM TT rear pads. It's subsided a bit but I get an awful screech at crawling parking lot speeds (ONLY when applying the brakes) and sometimes when I have almost slowed to a complete stop. The pads were bedded in after installation as per the TSRM guideline. I rack this up to a poor installation job at the shop I used because I've done this brake job before myself with the same exact parts and never had this issue.

I've been too busy to have time to take the car in for the last couple of weeks to have it fixed. Very annoying/embarrassing when people around you have to hear that. I won't use the same shop again for brakes. I've ordered another set of pads and will take the car to better shop to have the rotors turned (they were brand new rotors) and the new replacement pads fitted. It could also have been that the mechanic didn't apply enough anti-squeal shim grease or didn't apply enough in the correct locations.

I have heard something about getting the alignment of the pads correct (and there may be a difference when comparing a fixed TT rear caliper to a floating SC400 rear caliper) but the first thing I would do is determine whether your newly cut (or freshly replaced) brake rotors were within spec and whether or not the right amount of anti-squeal shim grease was used as per the TSRM.

When I have done my own brake jobs in the past I always went with brand new rotors or I took my still good rotors to a local shop that would turn them for me and verify they were within tolerance.

My current situation is perplexing to me also but I'm not an expert on braking system abnormalities. I am hoping that recutting the rotors and doing it all over again with brand new pads will cure the issue because I haven't had the issue before.

This may be the case for you as well-- some abnormality with the pads or rotors or something off in the installation.

Sorry I can't be of more specific help but when I saw your thread I wanted to chime in since I am having similar symptoms. In my case I do feel like something was not done correctly during the brake job. I don't suspect the Toyota pads or Centric rotors I used since they have been flawless before. And the car's braking is perfect. It's just the screeching noise, very similarly coming from the driver's side rear of my car (which is only a coincidence to your similar symptom).

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-06-17 at 04:49 AM.