Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Gs400 sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 03:11 PM
sladkix
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that what I want....a little more oversteer. Will definitely keep this tread updated as I go
Old 04-20-17, 11:43 AM
sladkix
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed rear Megan sway bay (on stiffest/inner hones). The car feels really good, tends to oversteer a little more but nothing crazy. Im definately going to be adding a front sway bar as well as it is asking for one
Old 08-31-17, 06:47 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To report back, after much research, I decided to change my shocks first. I went with Bilstein HDs (B6). I am very pleased with the handling improvement. I don't really think I need the sway bar upgrade now..... My before/after "report" is here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-98-gs400.html
Old 08-31-17, 07:32 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

After 275k miles or so I changed my factory shocks and went with Bilstein B6's and the improvement wasn't much at all. Makes me wonder if the early GS shocks were just that good. They STILL have pressure in them and when I took them off pushed out, just slower than new ones. not one blown.

I have had the EM USA bars on for a while, still wish they were stiffer, but I'm a stiff bar junkie.... But much improved over stock.
Old 08-31-17, 08:57 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

RamAirRckt - Interesting that you didn't see much difference from stock to B6. For me it has been like night & day. Perhaps your sway bar upgrade already addressed some of the lean / stability issues. Did you see an increased ride height with the Bilsteins? My car seems higher now, and that's the only negative I've found. If yours was higher initially, did it settle? Mine probably has only 20 miles so far on the new setup. Thanks for your input!

Last edited by 98GSOwner; 08-31-17 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-31-17, 08:59 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

There are 2 height positions on the B6's, default is higher, I put mine in lower, which is closest to factory ride height. I put the 2 shocks side by side to compare so I knew. I didn't want to mess up the height. I wish I could have lowered it a tad.

My shocks never settled, about 10k on them already.

The snap ring on the shock where the spring perch sits, just remove the snap ring and slide down.

Last edited by RamAirRckt; 08-31-17 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
98GSOwner (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 09:23 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Can the adjustment to height be done with shocks already installed?
Old 08-31-17, 09:36 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

No, I don't think safely at all. The rear is so easy that isn't a problem but for me the front was tough. I probably should have dropped the lower control arm to get more room.

​​​​​

Originally Posted by 98GSOwner
Can the adjustment to height be done with shocks already installed?
Old 08-31-17, 11:42 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Thanks for the info. I'm going to call my mechanic tomorrow to talk about adjusting these to the lower setting. I hope it won't be a huge undertaking. Sounds like he'll need just enough access to get the spring compressor in there to relieve the tension so that bottom plate can be repositioned. Your thought is that the rear is pretty easy, but the front may be more involved. Of course I'll need another alignment too...... Oh well. It's gotta be done. I was looking at the car carefully tonight. I just hate the way it's sitting up in the air like that... Any additional thoughts? Thanks again!!
Old 09-01-17, 05:47 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

I updated the thread on here how to do the rear in the shock thread, you don't need a spring compressor in the rear, the car is your spring compressor. Simple on rear. Front even with a spring compressor was hard to get in. If I did it again I'd remove the lower front arm to give more room. It should be easier than it was.
I'd try without alignment and see, yes it likely will change slightly. If anything go back to alignment shop and ask them to check it. They should.
I wish Bilstein would put the groove snap ring in the right position. To me it's a factory screw up. We should complain to them. If they put it 100% wrong for every car it's a screw-up.
Originally Posted by 98GSOwner
Thanks Thank for the info. I'm going to call my mechanic tomorrow to talk about adjusting these to the lower setting. I hope it won't be a huge undertaking. Sounds like he'll need just enough access to get the spring compressor in there to relieve the tension so that bottom plate can be repositioned. Your thought is that the rear is pretty easy, but the front may be more involved. Of course I'll need another alignment too...... Oh well. It's gotta be done. I was looking at the car carefully tonight. I just hate the way it's sitting up in the air like that... Any additional thoughts? Thanks again!!
Old 09-01-17, 07:56 AM
98GSOwner
Driver

RamAirRckt - Would you mind providing a link to the shock thread you updated? I'm not finding it. Yes this 2-position issue was a surprise to me. I believe my mechanic assumed the default setting was stock ride height. Perhaps these same part numbers are used in many other applications, and ours is one of the few (or only?) that should use the lower setting. Better communication from Bilstein would have really helped... Thanks.