Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Bilstein HD shocks on stock '98 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-17, 10:47 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Bilstein HD shocks on stock '98 GS400

Hello - I wanted to share my experience with having this upgrade installed on my GS400 today. The car has the 17 X 8 factory wheels and 235/45/17 Michelin Sport Pilot tires. The car is stock except for Daizen Sway Bar bushings front/rear. It has 106K and has been driven carefully over the years.

Before: The car handled pretty well below about 30-35 MPH. With higher speeds, I could really feel the weight transfer, which didn't inspire confidence. The transition from side to side (moving the steering wheel back and forth) felt floaty. Freeway onramps were difficult as the front-end seemed to dip down toward the outside of the turn and the car felt like it was wallowing. I would say the car was very sensitive to "setting" of the suspension - if you entered a turn slowly enough, it would stay fairly balanced. However, you could easily get that off-balance feel from speed being too high for the suspension. I felt like the car transmitted road bumps into the cabin much more than a Lexus should. Side-note - I believe the Daizen poly sway bar bushings (installed many years ago) reduced body roll maybe 20%.

After: The difference is dramatic. The car is very stable now. Transitions from side to side are much more flat and less floaty. I would say the entire car feels more supported on all corners. There is less squat on acceleration, and turns are much more flat and confidence-inspiring. If I didn't know, I'd say the car had received a sway bar upgrade, not new shocks. The interesting thing is that there is not much ride downside in my opinion. The bumps are not much more harsh - maybe you give up 10-15% Lexus cush, in exchange for 100% better handling. I know my factory shocks were old and probably not doing their job completely, but the GS is a very different drive now - much more like the sport sedan it was intended to be. I had a local mechanic install these - he told me the old fronts were beginning to leak a bit. I purchased the shocks from shockwarehouse.com - see below for part numbers and price I paid - the best deal I could find. My mechanic also replaced the upper control arms due to wear, but my shock mounts and bump stops were good. Lastly, (full disclosure) both my mechanic and I believe the car sits a bit higher now.... I didn't take "before" measurements, but the "after" measurements are: ground to bottom metal edge of wheelwell (at the wheel centerline): Front: 27.5", Rear 27.875". I've only driven about 10 miles so far, so I don't have a complete report, but I wanted to record my thoughts while the difference between the old stock units and these Bilstein HDs is fresh in my mind.

24-027434 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber $112.31 ea. $224.62 (2)
24-027441 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber $129.09 ea. $258.18 (2)
Discount ($21.00) Total (free shipping, no tax) $461.80

Note that these shocks are the HD B6 model which is intended for a stock ride height car. Bilstein also sells the B8 which is also a performance shock, but it is about an inch shorter for lowered cars. They make a direct replacement (non-performance) version as well.

Thanks to all on the forum who provide input on suspension mods!! I didn't want to lower my car, but did want improved handling. I am extremely pleased with this upgrade. Next will probably be steering rack poly bushings, once I repair my power steering leak (new O-rings).

Paul

Last edited by 98GSOwner; 08-30-17 at 10:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 98GSOwner:
AgedGS (12-28-17), supkp (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 12:55 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I am thinking of doing this instead of going with coilovers. I recently installed Blistien with Supra TT oem springs on my 99 SC400 and it rides great.
Thanks for the feedback if I do go this route I will use Tanabe lowering springs.
Old 09-02-17, 04:21 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

With the help of member RamAirRckt, I've learned that there are two spring perch positions to choose from on the Bilstein B6 for our cars. There is a snap ring which can be moved to a lower position, which allows the car to sit lower. Unfortunately, I was not aware of this, and my mechanic installed them as they were delivered in the higher position.... I plan to talk with him about resetting to the lower setting which, per RamAirRckt, will give me back the ride height I had on the stockers. I'll report back on where this goes.....

Last edited by 98GSOwner; 09-02-17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-03-17, 06:03 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Yes, the groove for the lower setting is about an inch down should get a bit more of a drop. I used the lower grooves on all four.
The following users liked this post:
98GSOwner (09-20-17)
Old 09-20-17, 08:16 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Update: I just got my car back from the shop to have the spring perches lowered on my Bilstein HDs. As you know, the HDs for the 2GS have two lower perch grooves, and they are factory-delivered with the clip in the upper groove. I learned this only after seeing my car sitting higher after the initial install. I wish I'd taken measurements with the old factory shocks but I didn't. Here are the approximate measurements for the the upper and lower perch settings for my stock GS4 with the Bilstein HDs - ground to bottom metal edge of wheelwell (at the wheel centerline):

Upper perch mount: Front: 27.5", Rear: 27.9"
Lower perch mount: Front: 27.0", Rear: 27.2"

So I got about a half inch drop in front and a bit more in back - about what I expected based on the spacing of the clip grooves in the shock body. Worth the expense for labor plus another alignment? To me, yes, because I felt the car looked silly with even more fender gap than the generous amount these cars had originally. Thanks to all who chimed in on this issue. I remain very pleased with the Bilstein HDs, especially with the car now back at what I believe is stock ride height!

Last edited by 98GSOwner; 09-20-17 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-21-17, 09:55 AM
supkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

98GSOwner, can you post some pictures of your car please.
Thanks!
Old 10-02-17, 08:08 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Sorry it took so long to get pics posted. Here are pics. The first one is the Bilstein HDs in the upper perch setting, and the second is after the perch settings were changed to the lower mounting groove. I realize now that the angle is different on the two pics, making it hard to see the difference. If you click on each pic and look at the wheel well gap at the top of the tire, there is a noticeable difference.
Attached Thumbnails New Bilstein HD shocks on stock '98 GS400-image2.jpeg   New Bilstein HD shocks on stock '98 GS400-image1-1-.jpeg  

Last edited by 98GSOwner; 10-02-17 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-03-17, 01:32 PM
supkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good 98GSOwner! BTW, what brand/type of tint you installed on your GS?
Old 10-06-17, 08:31 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Thank you Supkp. No added tint, just the factory glass. I think the pics might make the glass look darker, but it's stock.
The following users liked this post:
supkp (10-06-17)
Old 11-16-17, 06:50 AM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98GSOwner
Sorry it took so long to get pics posted. Here are pics. The first one is the Bilstein HDs in the upper perch setting, and the second is after the perch settings were changed to the lower mounting groove. I realize now that the angle is different on the two pics, making it hard to see the difference. If you click on each pic and look at the wheel well gap at the top of the tire, there is a noticeable difference.
Is the first one actually higher than stock? I don't know if its just because my springs are sagging or maybe the struts are weak but mine squats a bit in the rear. Anyway these sound like a good upgrade. $462 isn't bad. I don't think a direct OE replacement would be much cheaper actually.
Old 11-30-17, 08:13 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Mandrake - Yes, the car is higher in the first pic. It is hard to see as the camera angle is different (my bad) and the wheelwells are dark. If you click on the pics and look closely you can tell the car is sitting quite high in that first pic.

That's interesting that your car sits low in back. I guess your springs could be sagging, or maybe new shocks were installed in front only at some point? Many will say that shocks don't determine ride height. Not true if the shocks are actually uncoiling the spring a bit like they were on my car. I've seen another GS400 that seemed to sit high in front. The owner wasn't around to ask, but I assume dissimilar front and rear shocks must play a part......

If you prefer more sporty handling, and are OK with a bit stiffer ride, the Bilstein HDs are a great choice.