Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 05:33 PM
roc
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front wheel bearings

I'm about to install my front wheel bearings,would it be easier to replace only the bearings or should I replace both hubs with new bearings.I am aware that these bearings need to be pressed in.do the hubs usually go bad?.what bearings do you guys recommend, koyo,skf,or timkin
Old 05-31-16, 07:45 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by roc
I'm about to install my front wheel bearings,would it be easier to replace only the bearings or should I replace both hubs with new bearings.I am aware that these bearings need to be pressed in.do the hubs usually go bad?.what bearings do you guys recommend, koyo,skf,or timkin
I went with Timken when I installed my fronts recently on the race car. I think I used SKF on the rears but I may have gone with the WJB. I bought these from Rockauto. No problems so far. There is no reason to replace the hubs unless something is wrong with them or the bearings have completely gone out and you have a damaged shaft. I went with the Toyota OEM seals, if you order them from one of the online sellers its not that much difference than aftermarket.

Get ready for an extensive project, it's not your grandfathers wheel bearings you are messing with. I contributed to a similar thread a few months back showing how I pressed them out, puller used to remove the inner races, pressed them in the housings, etc. It's quite a job.

Last edited by RXRodger; 05-31-16 at 07:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gears12 (10-24-21)
Old 06-01-16, 03:33 PM
roc
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRodger
I went with Timken when I installed my fronts recently on the race car. I think I used SKF on the rears but I may have gone with the WJB. I bought these from Rockauto. No problems so far. There is no reason to replace the hubs unless something is wrong with them or the bearings have completely gone out and you have a damaged shaft. I went with the Toyota OEM seals, if you order them from one of the online sellers its not that much difference than aftermarket.

Get ready for an extensive project, it's not your grandfathers wheel bearings you are messing with. I contributed to a similar thread a few months back showing how I pressed them out, puller used to remove the inner races, pressed them in the housings, etc. It's quite a job.
Thanks,I'm ready to tackle it,I'll probably just have the machine shop press them
Old 06-01-16, 06:24 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude,

Go with Koyo or Timken. The hubs need to be measured. If they "feel okay" but are actually out of specification, your new bearings will wear out in a couple of years or less.

Old 06-01-16, 10:52 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

Go with Koyo or Timken. The hubs need to be measured. If they "feel okay" but are actually out of specification, your new bearings will wear out in a couple of years or less.

Why would they be out of specification if the bearings haven't spun or otherwise damaged? Most people wouldn't know what spec is for these bearings anyway. A remote thing to worry about at best.

And just out of curiosity, why would you say the Timken or Koyo? Is there some data that says these are better than an SKF or other supplier? The Timken can not be sourced through the normal Timken distributorship which says it is subbed out which could be made by any of the far east manufacturers so there is no reason to think they are any better than any of the other name brands. Now better than the Chinese crap? Absolutely.
Old 06-01-16, 11:04 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Why would they be out of specification if the bearings haven't spun or otherwise damaged? Most people wouldn't know what spec is for these bearings anyway. A remote thing to worry about at best.

And just out of curiosity, why would you say the Timken or Koyo? Is there some data that says these are better than an SKF or other supplier? The Timken can not be sourced through the normal Timken distributorship which says it is subbed out which could be made by any of the far east manufacturers so there is no reason to think they are any better than any of the other name brands. Now better than the Chinese crap? Absolutely.

Dude,

Hubs are a wear item, although they usually last a lot longer than a set of bearings. Curb damage can introduce slight deformation that is invisible to the eye but can be measured with calipers. It's not difficult to measure and the Lexus manual for SC300/SC400 cars mentions it in plain text. Having said that, if I come across a used hub from a low-mileage car and it's using the original bearing with no apparent problems, you're "pretty sure" everything is fine....."pretty sure." It's to your own benefit to spend the two minutes it takes to find your calipers, measure it per the manual, and move on with one-hundred percent confidence.

As for Koyo and Timken versus versus SKF, I follow the simple "keep to the same country that manufactured the car" rule. It's not scientific and is a simple bias. There isn't even a cost savings most of the time so I just try to match whatever Toyota used as an original supplier or their neighbor down the road. I will always purchase Made in Japan followed by Made in USA/Taiwan/Europe before even thinking about Made in China/Brazil, for any Made in Japan automobile.

Old 06-02-16, 10:27 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

In my opinion I would replace the hubs. I didn't replace them the first time I did wheel bearings and guess what, I had to come back 2 years later and do it again. Make sure you use a reputable machine or repair shop that has the proper equipment to press the old bearings out and the new bearings in. If they don't do it correctly they can also bend your spindles-ask me how I know? Actually the local Toyota dealership installed mine incorrectly and bent it. You'd think they would know better.

Steve K.
Old 06-03-16, 04:55 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

Hubs are a wear item, although they usually last a lot longer than a set of bearings. Curb damage can introduce slight deformation that is invisible to the eye but can be measured with calipers. It's not difficult to measure and the Lexus manual for SC300/SC400 cars mentions it in plain text. Having said that, if I come across a used hub from a low-mileage car and it's using the original bearing with no apparent problems, you're "pretty sure" everything is fine....."pretty sure." It's to your own benefit to spend the two minutes it takes to find your calipers, measure it per the manual, and move on with one-hundred percent confidence.

As for Koyo and Timken versus versus SKF, I follow the simple "keep to the same country that manufactured the car" rule. It's not scientific and is a simple bias. There isn't even a cost savings most of the time so I just try to match whatever Toyota used as an original supplier or their neighbor down the road. I will always purchase Made in Japan followed by Made in USA/Taiwan/Europe before even thinking about Made in China/Brazil, for any Made in Japan automobile.

So you have actually measured a hub that has had run-out in it from a curb strike? We aren't talking theoretical here, we are talking every day real world. Very, very unlikely IMO. But hey, it's your money. As far as the bearings, there is nothing, I repeat nothing, that would indicate a Japan bearing better than a USA or Europe bearing no matter which you choose. I think we all agree a Chinese (or I'll give you the Brazil and Taiwan also) would be things you would stay away from as I indicated in my original post.