Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear subframe supplemental bushing installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-16, 09:53 AM
joebor1776
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear subframe supplemental bushing installation

Hi,
I have a 98 GS400, which apparently has the same subframe as the IS, so I'm posting this question on your guys' forum in the hopes that one of you has installed these FIGS rear subframe supplemental bushings. I've had no luck searching on the GS side. I am purchasing these bushings to hopefully cure a clunk sound (which happens over bumps, acceleration, etc. not struts, not endlinks, not swaybar bushings--replaced all those). I can't find any info about how these bushings should be oriented when installed. They go on the bottom and top of the front and rear subframe connections on each side of the car (8 supplemental bushings total).

This is what they look like:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...58578527040090

I found this thread on another IS forum:

http://my.is/forums/f89/locking-down...89/index4.html

where it sounds like the larger bushing goes on the rear connection and the smaller one on the front. But I'm not sure whether the FLAT side of each bushing gets oriented toward the OE bushing or toward the frame (for the top) or the bottom plate (for the bottom). From the picture in the above thread, it looks like on the rear-top, the flat side is oriented toward the OE bushing, and on the front-top, the flat side is oriented toward the frame. But I can't see the bottoms in this pic...

Does anyone know? Also looking for any installation tips that might help. Maybe it'll be obvious once I have the subframe bolts out--if that's the case, sorry for a dumb question. This job just makes me nervous...

Thanks!

Last edited by joebor1776; 03-20-16 at 02:02 PM. Reason: fixing text