Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Inexpensive fix to body roll - Daizen polyurethane sway bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 01:33 AM
amichie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just changed mine and the front sway bar had deep wear grooves where it turned inside the rubber bushing. Anybody else notice this. Just for reference my car has only 100k kms on the clock.

Car seems to drive nicely now anyway.
Old 04-16-12, 04:09 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How deep is the groove? It might just be the paint that has worn off.
Old 04-29-12, 08:58 PM
baconcake
Rookie

this was my first real project that I did on my gs. Took about 2 hours. Hardest part was lifting the car with the jack and prying the bushing open while trying to get it onto the sway bar. Pretty easy overall and definitely worth it as body roll is reduced roughly 30%.
Old 05-08-12, 04:11 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is about the Daizen sway bushings but I see Prothane bushings mentioned. Anyway I replaced my old bushings with the Prothane type and within a day I started hearing what I believe are the squeaks. My caster arms were replaced also but I doubt the noise is coming from there. It looks like I may need to add more grease to them. Just wondering if anyone else had the squeaks with Prothane bushings after the installation and that its just not me.
Old 05-08-12, 07:35 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

how much grease did you use?

I think that's the key. I ordered extra prothane grease and really went excessive: on the bar, packed the bushing grooves, as well as packing all around the crease of the bushing and the bar after installation (since it will shift back and forth a bit on it ). I suppose some also got some between the outside of the bushing and bracket too, but mainly that was just from the handling with my grease-covered gloves.

About 2tubes per side was what I used. I'd rather waste some grease then go through the trouble of doing it again

Last edited by raytseng; 05-08-12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 08:26 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Just the one tube that came with the bushings. Since I ordered both front and rear i received two tubes total. I never had these noises with my old OEM bushings that I believe were rubber.
Old 05-09-12, 08:52 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Just the one tube that came with the bushings. Since I ordered both front and rear i received two tubes total. I never had these noises with my old OEM bushings that I believe were rubber.
yea, try more grease, like a lot more, then see what happens.
It's been 2months since I regreased mine, and no reoccurance of noise.

The oem rubber bushings will not make noise yes, but it's also squishing around...A tradeoff you need to consider.
Old 05-13-12, 02:18 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raytseng
yea, try more grease, like a lot more, then see what happens.
It's been 2months since I regreased mine, and no reoccurance of noise.

The oem rubber bushings will not make noise yes, but it's also squishing around...A tradeoff you need to consider.
I ordered three more tubes of the super grease off the Prothane website and applied it to the bushings. Since the noise was coming from the front only, I used a tube and half for each bushing. From the time I reversed out of my driveway I heard a difference. There is absolutely no noise coming from the bushings after a few short miles of test driving. For 2 bucks and some change, so far it's worth it.
Old 05-13-12, 11:39 PM
Tommy2JZ
Pole Position

Tried buying bushings from TMEngineering and they only accept paypal. I don't have paypal -__________-
Old 05-21-12, 07:24 PM
GblacknesS
Driver School Candidate

Default Not to beat a dead horse.......

....I just changed my front bushings this afternoon. Used energy suspension poly's. I have 147k on my 2000 GS and the difference is astounding. My OEM bushings were so worn that I could compress them between my thumb and forefinger. Can't wait to change the rears tomorrow. Thanks for the great recommendation.
Old 05-30-12, 10:24 PM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed my front sway bushing yesterday with Prothane bushing. it was an super easy install and you dont have to take off the swaybar. Just remove the brackets and twist the bushing out. i used the whole package of grease that came with the bushing. No noise or anything and best money spent on my car. i notice a difference instantly... going over speed bumps and groves in the road is not problems now its like a different car. i will do the rears soon but great investment. Make sure to squeeze out the grease in a ZIG-ZAG motion on the groves of the bushing and spread the grease.
Old 10-16-12, 07:36 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default I love my GS now, Keep beating on the dead horse

I installed the Prothane Sway Bars bushing on the weekend. And Helllllllllllllll Yeeeaaaaahhhhh. I love my GS now. I ordered four additional grease tube and used them all. Been driving the car for over and year now, and am can see the cornering improvement. I say about 20-25%. Improved tracking as well. For some reason, my car is veering and slightly pulling the right (pass'er side) even thought my left caster (driver's side) is off the specification by one or two degree.

Last edited by GS714; 10-17-12 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-10-12, 02:08 PM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

i bought a complete set for a 1990 LS400 bushing, it includes all the bushing needed, control arm, sway bar.. etc..

Does anyone have idea it this will fit on 2nd GS?

Worts case scenario is i take off the sway bar and tried it on..
Old 01-01-13, 08:41 AM
GRANYZ400
Driver

Just ordered my set based on this thread, thanks! I will update with the results when I get them installed. I did this mod on my 96 4Runner, including the steering rack bushings and it made a noticeable difference. I have to wonder if the ploy steering rack bushings would be of benefit on a GS400?
Old 01-06-13, 06:46 PM
GRANYZ400
Driver

My bushings were shipped very quickly and install took about an hour for front and rear. I haven't read through this entire thread, nor the one covering installation, but I will say this: make sure the rear suspension is compressed when you go to R&R, otherwise you won't be able to get the holding bracket back on after you remove it. If the rear wheel is "drooping" a bit, it will put undue tension on the sway bar.

My OEM rubber bushings were in pretty good condition, so the difference was pretty slight. But I did feel it. The car felt a tad "tighter" going down the road and around corners.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive fix to body roll - Daizen polyurethane sway bushings