Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Inexpensive fix to body roll - Daizen polyurethane sway bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 12:22 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AZGS4
I need to replace my front and rear sway bar bushings and am looking at the following options:

- OEM rubber bushings 48815 and 48818 from Sewell for $57.61 shipped
- Moog rubber bushings 90524 and 90537 on ebay for $38.52 shipped
- Prothane urethane bushings 181123 and 181124 on ebay for $28.78 shipped

Will the Moog perform about as well as OEM due to similar materials? If I go with the Prothane am I going to need to worry about squeaking over time. I have the Daizen LCA bushings and those squeak occasionally over speed bumps etc. Which would you choose and why? Thanks for any and all input.
The answer depends on do you like the way the car is performing or do you want it changed?
I have daizen sway bars and bilsten HD shocks. The sway bars squeak occasionally on bumps in cold weather.
If I were to redo things, I think I would rather stick with the regular rubber bushings and just have the bilstein shocks take away the slop
Old 01-11-12, 12:30 PM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not familiar with the Moog bushings but I presume they're OEM equivalent.

I would definitely go with polyurethane (Prothane) bushings. The car just feels tighter with them. If you do not grease them properly they will develop a squeak though. I have had to regrease the rears once.
Old 01-11-12, 02:07 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Ok. Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I am going to order the Prothane and if they start to squeak more than I want them to I will try out the Moog. Not much risk with the $28 Prothane purchase price and pretty easy (I hope) install.
Old 01-12-12, 01:26 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AZGS4
Ok. Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I am going to order the Prothane and if they start to squeak more than I want them to I will try out the Moog. Not much risk with the $28 Prothane purchase price and pretty easy (I hope) install.
Just did it last week. Dont worry man Changing the battery is harder. Just make sure u greese em up really nice.

Last edited by NEbiker10; 01-12-12 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-12-12, 01:32 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

^^^ Thanks.
Old 01-17-12, 02:04 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

anyone here try using the Energy Suspension Bushings? they have universal applications 28.5mm Front and 14mm Rear that we could technically use.
Old 01-18-12, 12:19 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

They're basically the same as the Prothanes, although durometer may differ.
Old 02-09-12, 09:21 AM
kamlung
Instructor

just ordered a set of the Prothanes on Amazon... cheapest i could find with shipping prices...
Old 02-18-12, 01:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I was looking for any help on a squeaking clunking noise coming from the front right passenger area on my GS430 when going over speed bumps or dips/bumps, this mainly happens and is the loudest when it is cold out. I saw some people saying it was their sway bar bushings and to either grease the sway bar bushings or replace them, and make sure bolts are tight around the sway bar and its components. Since the Prothane bushings are inexpensive and can make the car feel tighter and handle a little better so I think I will end up getting some. They have some on Amazon that are pretty cheap. It is the Prothane 18-1123-BL Black 28.5 mm Front and 14mm back if I do them right?

I was just going to get the fronts since that is where the possible issue is. Is ordering the rears recommended if changing out the fronts, will the rears make much difference in feel and handling? These sound relatively easy to install but I have not dug too deep into what I have to do and gotten underneath the car yet to check it out. I have seen some recommend using thread tape to help ensure they don't squeek along with the grease.
Old 02-20-12, 02:32 PM
kamlung
Instructor

just installed the front and rear over 2 hrs... pretty simple and straight forward... my oem ones looked fine after 11 years and almost 90k miles... i put in the upgraded ones anyway.. the hardest part of the install was to open the new bushings to get them onto the bar... these suckers are sturdy...
Old 02-20-12, 06:41 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
just installed the front and rear over 2 hrs... pretty simple and straight forward... my oem ones looked fine after 11 years and almost 90k miles... i put in the upgraded ones anyway.. the hardest part of the install was to open the new bushings to get them onto the bar... these suckers are sturdy...
congrats....so whats your impression of these? no more body roll?
Old 02-22-12, 01:14 PM
kamlung
Instructor

tbh - i can't really tell the diff aside from maybe the psychological apsect... perhaps because my OEM bushings were still good so it wasn't a dramatic improvement which i could immediately tell... i had everything apart so i figured to just do the changeover...

here's a pic of the two sets to compare...

Old 04-15-12, 03:30 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are squeaking like all hell. I need to regrease them...
I didn't get to read through the entire thread, but whats the best way to eliminate the squeak?
Old 04-15-12, 10:07 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If I were you, and you are going through the effort to service them,

I'd get the prothane replacement bushings.
They are relatively cheap, and they are grooved so they will hold the grease. Yay for whoever decided to implement that.

I would order from
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/

I would also order an extra 3-pack of grease, and just double up on the grease when you install. Better to have a little wasted grease then have to do it again.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...us+GS+300+1998
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=191750

I actually plan to do this myself in the near future.
Old 04-15-12, 11:10 PM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, get some prothane grease. It is very sticky so it should last a long time. You can also use silicon grease, as it is rubber/PU friendly.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive fix to body roll - Daizen polyurethane sway bushings