Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Inexpensive fix to body roll - Daizen polyurethane sway bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-03, 04:23 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Inexpensive fix to body roll - Daizen polyurethane sway bushings

Hey gang:

Just wanted to say that the Daizen polyurethane sway bar bushings from Todd (TM Engineering) works great. I just replaced the bushings on my stock sway bars. I can really feel the difference. For about $30, you can't go wrong.

BTW... I wanted to mention to the forum that when I removed my stock rubber sway bar bushings, it was kinda deformed....I was shocked to see it didnt keep its shape since I only got 28K miles on it....plus I dont drive like a mad man either. You may wanna check this out on your car.

Without hesitation, I totally recommend this inexpensive upgrade.

Pete
Old 04-17-03, 02:54 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice to hear that you are happy with the mod. You should be even more happier when you upgrade to full after market sway bars like trd or daizen. I was wondering. Could I use daizen bushing with my trd race sways? Is anybody out there might have tried the option?
Old 04-17-03, 04:45 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

kapdori -

I hear that the TRD sways is too thick for the Daizen bushings....right now it fits the Daizen and stock sway bars. Rumor has it that Daizen is thinking about making bushings for the TRD bars.....ask Todd @ TM Engineering to confirm this.

Pete
Old 04-18-03, 12:37 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Hey Pete:

What type of specific improvements do you notice? Didn't want to go with a full aftermarket sway bar that will affect ride quality. Roads here on Guam is not smooth like stateside highways. $30 for some bushings is no big deal but don't want to mess around with something that isn't broken yet. How much did it cost you to have the bushings installed?

Chu...
Old 04-18-03, 11:07 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally posted by ChuH
Hey Pete:

What type of specific improvements do you notice? Didn't want to go with a full aftermarket sway bar that will affect ride quality. Roads here on Guam is not smooth like stateside highways. $30 for some bushings is no big deal but don't want to mess around with something that isn't broken yet. How much did it cost you to have the bushings installed?

Chu...
Chu -

The most notable improvement is when making turns....I feel more planted to the ground now.....alot less body roll.....especially during hard or quick turns. Dont get me wrong....there's still a slight body roll....thats due to the flexing of the stock sway bar.....but for $30 vs. $500....it was an easy decision.

As for install...it did it myself. If you have a jack, a philips screwdriver, and a ratchet set......you can do it yourself. It took me about 1.5 hours.

Pete

BTW....this is the link to the Daizen website on the bushings.

http://www.daizen-sporttuning.com/
Old 03-07-04, 09:47 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a good mod to start off with--$30 for the polyurethane bushings vs. $500 for a full setup. It's incremental, but it's not a big deal in monetary terms. I'll give this a shot as my car currently leans a bit more than I'd like.

Anyways, as it's been a year since the post was made, anyone else have this simple mod on their car and want to share their experiences?

Further, any reliability issues or noise that result from the Daizen polyurethane bushings?

Thanks.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 03-07-04 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-08-04, 06:33 AM
BLW
Driver

Default No Noise Issues!

I have had the Daizen bushings on for about a year and have had no noise issues at all . I purchased them a few weeks after they hit the market. I recommend that you use all of the supplied grease that ships with the bushings. I noticed just a small ( bearly noticeable) increase in corning stability. For the amount of money for the bushings, it was a pretty easy decision to make to purchase them.
Old 03-08-04, 07:32 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default i've tried to get some

i emailed todd, and never received a response, curious if you guys can help me out a little. thanks bryan
Old 03-08-04, 08:31 AM
BLW
Driver

Default Here's a link

I did not go through TM to get my set. Since I live in the Dallas area I went to Sewell Lexus to get my set of bushings. Their parts group is a CL sponsored vender called Lexus-Parts. Here is their link for the bushings:

http://lexus-parts.com/partdetail.as...bCategoryID=85

This link is for a '98 GS 400. I doubt there is a part number difference for different year or between 300's or 430's> you could go to starting web page of lexus-parts.com and start from the beginning for your year and model.

Hope this helps
Brian

Last edited by BLW; 03-08-04 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-08-04, 08:34 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Thanks for the info--how much would you say the cornering has improved with the new bushings--10%?

I was worried about the noise issue, so what you've mentioned about it is good. Just for my info, where did you use the grease, and do they tell you where to apply it in the instructions?

Anyone else have personal experiences with just the Daizen bushings for use on stock bars?

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 03-08-04 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-08-04, 09:10 AM
BLW
Driver

Hard to guess an improvement percentage, but I think 10 to 15% would be OK without going overboard for any ones expectations.

You apply the grease to the inside of the bushing before installing the bushing onto the sway bar. There are groves cut into the inside of the bushing that actually holds the grease so that it doesn't all get sqeezed out when everything is tightened up.

Here is a copy of the instructions ( if the file size is not to large) that came with my set.
Attached Thumbnails Inexpensive fix to body roll - Daizen polyurethane sway bushings-daizen.jpg  
Old 03-08-04, 09:16 AM
BLW
Driver

Default Larger

Here is a larger image of instructions
Attached Thumbnails Inexpensive fix to body roll - Daizen polyurethane sway bushings-daizen1.jpg  
Old 03-08-04, 09:23 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Just curious, do you have to remove the sway bar end link bolts to get the bushing on? While the directions don't mention it, it seems like you'd have to. Also, did you use Loctite on the bolts as mentioned?

Lastly, any other tips that the instructions don't mention?

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-08-04, 09:49 AM
BLW
Driver

It has been quite a while since I did the install. I do not remember If I did remove the end link hardware. I did not use the lock tite as per the instructions and I have had no losening of components> and I have rechecked them a couple times and everything was OK. I do remember the rears being a little tougher because of the smaller confines of the working space. Sorry I cannot offer any additional advice on install, it has been a while since I did this. PHML may have some advice since he just installed his.

If you are handy on your car, this is not a tough install.
Old 03-08-04, 10:59 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a nice and cheap worthwhile mod.
I'll add it to the to do list.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive fix to body roll - Daizen polyurethane sway bushings