Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help with harsh ride on Supra TT Struts and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 09:33 AM
RyanR317
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with harsh ride on Supra TT Struts and Springs

When I got my 1999 SC400, it was dropped on Tokico Blues and Espelirs. The drop was nice but the ride was too harsh, so I decided to switch to Supra TT spec KYB Gas-a-just (not actually adjustable) shocks and OEM TT springs. Now the ride is better but still pretty harsh and stiff. I bought Tanabe NF210s and new SC spec KYB shocks for a less harsh ride. My NSX dropped on BC coilovers had a much nicer ride.

I'm wanting to know if there's anything else I should change to remedy this issue. I bough new strut mounts for the front and rear. Is there anything else I should consider replacing? There are no noises while turning or going over bumps so I don't think there are any bushings that are bad and the steering is reasonably tight.

Any ideas?
Old 12-19-14, 03:47 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not an expert on the different combos but I have ridden in stock TT myself, the TT is designed to be stiff, and if I remember that KYBs series are valved a percentage stiffer than OEM to compensate for wear. A lot of people won't notice this.. but what you just created is a stiffer than TT setup! You may also consider Toyota OEM shocks, can't go wrong with them.

It is probably not going to be super comfy luxary feel unless you put back in the SC OEM suspension which rides higher and softer springs. With aftermarket options your best bet is probably go with an adjustable shock so you can match the spring rate to find the balance in minimizing bounciness and least harshness.

Also, on a 99 SC they have lower profile tires. I personally found a PSI change from 33 to 39 PSI is noticeable in harshness, that is something to play with and has an immediate feel to harshness.

Last edited by SC3coupe; 12-19-14 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-19-14, 06:11 PM
weeters
Driver

i used supra oem bilsteins. ride was very nice.
Old 12-20-14, 07:18 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on KYB AGX Supra shocks and the TT Eibach kit, and the ride is nice. With the shock adjustment to the lowest setting, its firm but very comfortable. With them on the higher setting, its very firm but manageable.

Not sure what the stock TT springs are like, but I have not switched to coilovers simply becuase I love the AGX/Eibach Supra combo so much.
Old 12-23-14, 12:50 PM
millertime
Pole Position

awesome ride and handling

Supra TT Tein springs and bilstine struts!!!

Im actually have this set up in my basement for sale

$500
Old 12-24-14, 08:40 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ride quality is extremely subjective. What you think is harsh may be a "firm but comfortable ride" to them. I have a 97 SC400 that TT supra lower control arms, stock Lexus springs and KYB Excel-G shocks on the front. Oh and stock 16x7 Lexus wheels. My car is harsh going over bumps. In fact it is just down right rough....to me. It might be smooth as silk to someone else. I've done the TT springs and 18" inch wheels and hated the ride. In fact my interior creaks and rattles because of it, so I went back to stock springs and wheels. It helped a lot but I think the bushings on the TT LCA's have diminished the ride quality overall.
Your going to have to decide what's more important, looks or comfortable ride. Having a lowered look and Lexus ride just doesn't seem possible.