Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear rotor removal driving me bonkers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 03:55 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Rear rotor removal driving me bonkers

Hi guys, yes, I did the search and I read about the job in detail:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...r-removal.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ear-rotor.html

I released the parking brake and removed the caliper. Then I read about the 2-bolt method that threads into the OEM rotor to get it to unseat. No problem there. Several whacks of the mini sledge made short work of it.

Now for the problem... Even though the rotor broke free, there is still something holding it and preventing it from coming off. I know there is a rubber plug on the rotor and some mechanism underneath which I can barely see. No idea how to proceed.

Any tips? Thanks guys!
Old 05-26-13, 06:49 PM
Chankeye
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

remove the rubber plug. at either 12 or 6 o clock position (unsure on the GS, but same with other toyota vehicles), there should be a wheel with teeth (flashlight should help you locate it). you need to turn the wheel (most likely clockwise, with a small flathead screw driver) to bring parking brake shoes closer together, that way you can get the rotor off. over time debris/ brake dust collect on the inner part of the rotor where the parking brake shoes reside, and can make it difficult to remove the rotor. Sometimes you don't have to do this at all and the rotors will come right off. I guess its just a matter of how often you use the parking brake and how often it has been adjusted. When reinstalling your rotors make sure you adjust those rear shoes for the parking brake (by turning that wheel counter clockwise) to where your parking brake feels like it has sufficient tension to hold the car (If the parking brake pedal goes all the way down to the floor with minimal effort it is probably too loose). Whatever you do make sure the rotor can spin freely without contacting the parking shoes (with parking brake in off position), otherwise you can warp the rotors or possibly ruin the parking brake linkages to the shoes. You can use this same process to adjust your parking brake if you feel it is too loose also..........just to reiterate, make sure the parking brake shoes do not drag on the rotor when the parking brake is in the off position. The shoes should only contact the inside of the rotor when the parking brake is applied . Hope this is enough info to help you out.
Old 05-26-13, 06:57 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Perfect summary, thank you!

The parking brake adjustment wheel is at 6 o'clock. As soon as I gave that wheel a couple of clicks, the inner pads loosed up just enough to allow me to freely slide the rotor off.
Old 05-26-13, 07:05 PM
Chankeye
Driver

Awesome, glad that helped out!
Old 05-26-13, 07:28 PM
RikTT
Pole Position

Just changed mine today. Rubber mallet x's 2 medium whacks and it came right off.
Old 02-24-15, 06:12 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Just referenced this again... Got my rear driver side brake squealing under very light braking.

Need to rip off the pads/rotor and see what's going on.
Old 02-25-15, 05:43 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Just referenced this again... Got my rear driver side brake squealing under very light braking.

Need to rip off the pads/rotor and see what's going on.
if your changing pads or rotor don't forget the brake Fitting kit..