Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS430 Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-02, 05:56 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430 Steering Issues

The main disappointment with my new 2003 GS430 has been with the low speed steering. It is so loose it is almost scary. I can turn it almost a half turn at say 5 mph with almost no change in direction of the car -that and the fact that I can do this with one finger on the wheel. I had not noticed this with the two other GSs I test drove (one with 16" wheels and one with 17").

I have been reading the posts here about the L-Tuned Steering ECU and figured that had to be a solution (even though half the posts only say it affects high speed feel).

However, I ran into a friend today with a 2000 GS400. While I didn't have time to drive his car, I did have time to give his steering wheel a quick spin while at idle. The difference was amazing (and we both have the exact same 17" tires). His steering was firm and direct - mine is lighter than a LS430. His car is completely stock.

Now my question -
How in the world am I going to convince my dealer that I have an issue with my car's steering? I know there is an adjustment that can be made, but from other posts it seems as if dealers are reluctant to do this.

Thanks in advance,
Doug
Old 12-27-02, 10:49 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt anything is flawed with your steering rack right out of the box. Tires may be a small factor. Newer, fully inflated tires turn easier. One item to consider.

BUT........I've done the LTuned Steering ECU, and had my dealer tighten the steering pre-tensioner, and those two simple fixes have significantly improved the responsiveness and feel of the steering. The pre-tensioner adjustment should be a 30 min, free of charge adjustment.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-28-02, 01:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the pretensioner is warranty, so if yours is out you will have to pay, but yes it's a fast job. however it's not for all cars, i believe it's only for certain 98 or 99 models? at least on mine there is nothing wrong. but yes, the steering wheel pretensioner will help the low speed turning feel a lot.

i also thought that the l-tuned ecu will mainly only help at high speed?
Old 01-28-03, 02:13 PM
shammi
Driver School Candidate

Doug, I think you are just too stong for the Lexus steering. I think all those years of driving the Civic with no power steering has warped your sense of feel. Maybe you have been working out lately?? Nah, thats not it.

Here is an idea...... 15" wide front tires inflated to exactly 7.92 psi. That would stiffen things up?

I bet the L-tuned ECU will help, Id buy two ... one for each front wheel!!
Old 01-28-03, 03:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by shammi
Doug, I think you are just too stong for the Lexus steering. I think all those years of driving the Civic with no power steering has warped your sense of feel. Maybe you have been working out lately?? Nah, thats not it.

Here is an idea...... 15" wide front tires inflated to exactly 7.92 psi. That would stiffen things up?

I bet the L-tuned ECU will help, Id buy two ... one for each front wheel!!
wel apprecaite the help here, but not the sarcastic comments like yours. please refrain yourself
Old 01-29-03, 11:49 AM
kvoman
Driver

Our bone stock '01 steering is tight and no losey goosey at all, even before with the stock Bridgeston tires. With the new BFG g-Force, the steering response is even better.

We have the 235/45/17 tires.

Last edited by kvoman; 01-29-03 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-29-03, 05:48 PM
oldguy
Driver

My gs430 '01 was not right and then they discovered the upper strut mounts were loose. That was it.
Old 01-29-03, 06:13 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

doug, here's another vote for steering that doesn't act like yours. Parking lot speeds produce somewhat heavy steering, both with the OEM RE030s and with their replacements, Pole Position S03s. I do have L-Tuned springs and shocks but not the steering ECU, nor have I had the pre-tensioner adjusted.

No significant steering delay, either. All is not right in your rack.
Old 01-29-03, 07:09 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

It is so loose it is almost scary. I can turn it almost a half turn at say 5 mph with almost no change in direction of the car -that and the fact that I can do this with one finger on the wheel.

That is all you need to tell your dealer. If needed, sit in the car and show the dealer, ask them to take another GS out to compare. Talk with your dealer first before asking CL "feeling" advise , there are 1000s of people here, everyone will have a different answer on how the "feel" should be, it's totally not normal if you afraid to drive the car due to the steering feel.

hee hee

your car is under warranty, it does not hurt to ask the dealer to check it out if you feel uneasy with your car, you are entitled to ask for anything you paid for., beside, you get a free rental and free car wash either they find out anything to fix or not. At least, they will recheck all of your bolts for the suspension and steering

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 01-29-03 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-30-03, 01:18 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I'd have to agree with you that the stock steering if just too loose at slow or high speeds.

I had to take action on my part, so I went all out with the L-Tuned Steering ECU, springs and shocks upgrade.

This combination in addition to new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires has improved my steering slightly, but I firmly believe that Lexus steering is Lexus steering. It's one of the luxuries geared for older folks that don't have to put much effort in turning the wheel. Luxury = ease of turning the steering wheel, ease of everything.

Althought just getting the L-Tuned Steering ECU will not make a huge difference (I think I was so into belieiving that it would, that it actually did feel better in my mind), I'd still get it and why not at the same time get the L-tuned springs and shocks too! This should be a mandatory upgrade for all GS owners.

Also it depends on what you are comparing your GS's steering to, another car in the household, your previous car? I also have a BMW and BMWs steering is nice and tight, that is what they are known for.
Old 01-31-03, 02:52 PM
barry gershinzo
Rookie

Default steering

there is something definitley wrong with your power steering rack.
lexus had problems in 98 with a vibration that they fixed if you kept on whining. if i turn my stering wheel a quarter turn at 5mph i am heading 90 degrees away from where i was going.the steering is suposed to be light but not unresponsive.take it back to the dealer and insist that they fix it, call and report the problem to lexus, and raise a little cain about being sold such a defective unit. mention the word "lemon" as much as posible.
Old 01-31-03, 08:56 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Well the L-Tuned ECU went in a week ago. I swear there is no difference however the steering doesn't annoy me as much - so maybe it did do something or maybe my wallet being lighter is telling my brain that something must have changed.

That said, I am still getting a rattle up front in the suspension. I see upper strut mounts mentioned and I have also heard about issues with the front sway bar. Both will be checked out by my "new" dealer.

I actually had a tech at the "old" dealer get in my car - when I tried to show him the steering being too light his exact comment was "The steering wheel is turning the front wheels therefore there is nothing wrong with it".

I am coming from a BMW - so it probably is normal that the steering will feel lighter to me (as pointed out also by lexguynj). However the wife's RX300 has tighter steering than my car - if you can believe this.

One last point, EX996 has the exact same car as mine (we haven't compared build dates) and he complains about the same issue with the steering. Maybe a 2003 GS430 issue?

BTW, I did drive a GS300 at the dealer and it was MUCH tighter.

Thanks for the advice everyone and please ignore Shammii - an old friend and basically God over on supraforums. But if it isn't turbocharged he knows nothing about it.....
Old 02-11-03, 12:45 PM
shammi
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by doug_999
Thanks for the advice everyone and please ignore Shammii - an old friend and basically God over on supraforums. But if it isn't turbocharged he knows nothing about it.....

That hurts deep down....... My Camaro, and both Lexus's are naturally aspirated....... Don't forget the Woody!

Shammmmmmmiiiiiiiiii
Old 02-11-03, 12:50 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

The Camaro is naturally aspirated because you sold the the supercharger and the car no longer runs.