Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

1997 SC400 Supra TT springs and struts Alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 05:33 AM
stratman3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 SC400 Supra TT springs and struts Alignment issue

AS the title says I replaced my struts with supra tt had the car aligned everything seemed fine, until I was got under to look at something in the exhaust and saw my right front tire with bad camber ware. I went back to the tire shop the guy looked and said I need a camber kit. My car is not that low and I would think there would still be enough adjustment and like I said it's just the right front. The left is showing some camber ware but not nearly as bad. Would I need a camber kit? or just try a different tire shop? Thanks
Old 11-08-12, 07:15 AM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say take it to a different shop for a second opinion. I had 2 SC's that were dropped on coilovers and they always aligned out good without any aftermarket camber kits.

Now on my current SC I'm dropped on lowering springs and had to take my car to 3 different shops because some mechanics just don't want to deal with a dropped vehicles so they just align however so it prints out in good specs. The first shop I went to in LA said the camber wasn't adjustable at all and I told him the lower arms adjust camber/caster and I know this because my other SC's on coilover were aligned by my friends that worked at a shop and they showed me but this mechanic didn't listen.

Next day took it to another one of their shops but a different location because it was pulling. This shop said camber and caster was adjustable so they tried to fix it but when I drove back to MN from CA my tires were all shot. I took it to another one of their shops in MN that my buddy worked at and he said whoever aligned it had no idea what they were doing and he'll fix it because the alignment was out of specs. After he fixed it it's been good since then and no uneven tire wear. You just have to find a guy that knows about lowering cars and alignment angles.
Old 11-12-12, 03:13 AM
stratman3
Driver

Originally Posted by Midengtoy
I say take it to a different shop for a second opinion. I had 2 SC's that were dropped on coilovers and they always aligned out good without any aftermarket camber kits.

Now on my current SC I'm dropped on lowering springs and had to take my car to 3 different shops because some mechanics just don't want to deal with a dropped vehicles so they just align however so it prints out in good specs. The first shop I went to in LA said the camber wasn't adjustable at all and I told him the lower arms adjust camber/caster and I know this because my other SC's on coilover were aligned by my friends that worked at a shop and they showed me but this mechanic didn't listen.

Next day took it to another one of their shops but a different location because it was pulling. This shop said camber and caster was adjustable so they tried to fix it but when I drove back to MN from CA my tires were all shot. I took it to another one of their shops in MN that my buddy worked at and he said whoever aligned it had no idea what they were doing and he'll fix it because the alignment was out of specs. After he fixed it it's been good since then and no uneven tire wear. You just have to find a guy that knows about lowering cars and alignment angles.
Thanks, yeah I'm going to another shop. Also I was wondering to wish specs? Supra or SC? The stock TT struts and springs only lowered the car about 1 1/2in.
Old 11-12-12, 02:06 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Midengtoy is right. With the OEM suspension parts from a supra, you shouldn't need any camber correction kits. From what I've read on http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html you will only need a camber kit if you lower more than 1". OEM supra suspension will only drop you from 0.5-0.7". A competent tech will be able to adjust it back to factory Lexus specs.

However you did say the car was lowered about 1.5"; is this just a guess, or did you use aftermarket springs with OEM supra struts?
Old 11-12-12, 06:09 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Even at 1 1/2 inches, I still dont think you need a camber kit. I have been lowered on Esplier, and I still have correct tire wear and no alignment issues. I have to admit, my SC is not daily driven..
Old 11-13-12, 11:25 AM
stratman3
Driver

Originally Posted by SoaringSC
Midengtoy is right. With the OEM suspension parts from a supra, you shouldn't need any camber correction kits. From what I've read on http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html you will only need a camber kit if you lower more than 1". OEM supra suspension will only drop you from 0.5-0.7". A competent tech will be able to adjust it back to factory Lexus specs.

However you did say the car was lowered about 1.5"; is this just a guess, or did you use aftermarket springs with OEM supra struts?
Just a guess from what I've read. Thanks I'am definitely trying a different shop