Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What brand new rear struts on '92 SC 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 10:52 PM
gnguru
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What brand new rear struts on '92 SC 400

I think I'm going to have to replace the rear struts on my '92 SC 400. Just wondering what brand of struts anyone would recommend or maybe has used and had good luck with. Let me know. Thanx
Old 07-09-11, 12:00 AM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently running the Tokico HP struts on all 4 corners. The ride is great. Highly recommended. But it also depends on your goals. How do you drive your car? You should install new OEM strut tops when installing the suspension you choose.
Old 07-09-11, 12:59 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

We don't have struts they are shocks and hp blue here which is a stock like ride so good for the money.
Old 07-09-11, 03:09 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gnguru
I think I'm going to have to replace the rear struts on my '92 SC 400. Just wondering what brand of struts anyone would recommend or maybe has used and had good luck with. Let me know. Thanx
It all depends on the type of ride your looking for. For example: I'm running KYB AGX struts with Espelir springs made for the MKIV Supra, thats because I was looking for a nice lowered look and feel not to mention the fact that you can adjust the the valving of the strut. If your just looking to replace but upgrade from stock then just go with a KYB GR-2 or a Tokico HP

Originally Posted by xspsi6
We don't have struts they are shocks and hp blue here which is a stock like ride so good for the money.
I beg to differ that we have struts and not shocks, and there is a difference between the two let me explain:
Shocks and struts are two different parts that perform similar functions on various suspension systems.
For strut suspensions, the spring is held by the strut with the strut providing structural support for the vehicle.
Shocks, on the other hand, are mounted directly to
the vehicle’s frame on one end and the lower suspension on the other. Shocks provide no structural support for the vehicle.
Old 07-09-11, 05:45 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socal72
It all depends on the type of ride your looking for. For example: I'm running KYB AGX struts with Espelir springs made for the MKIV Supra, thats because I was looking for a nice lowered look and feel not to mention the fact that you can adjust the the valving of the strut. If your just looking to replace but upgrade from stock then just go with a KYB GR-2 or a Tokico HP

I beg to differ that we have struts and not shocks, and there is a difference between the two let me explain:
Shocks and struts are two different parts that perform similar functions on various suspension systems.
For strut suspensions, the spring is held by the strut with the strut providing structural support for the vehicle.
Shocks, on the other hand, are mounted directly to
the vehicle’s frame on one end and the lower suspension on the other. Shocks provide no structural support for the vehicle.
Wrong info, Here is the defenitions broke down for you...

A shock absorber or coil-over-shox is a unit in which spring & bump stopper are arranged concentric (rather coaxial) with the damper to save space required for seperate installation of each.

A strut is a coil-over-shox with additional degrees of freedom for steering the wheel (provided by a bearing which partially replaces a ball joint) and articulation of the wheel (provided by the top mount which doubles in as the upper wishbone / control arm).

A strut is thus, a combination of a number of suspension components viz. spring, damper, bump stopper, upper control arm and probably one ball joint.

A strut and a coil-over-shox are not interchangable. If you put a simple coil-over-shox in place of strut, you won't be able to steer the vehicle and if you do otherwise, the directional stability will be lost. A strut is usually used in front suspension and a coil-over-shox is generally a part of rear suspension.
Old 07-10-11, 12:08 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK OK I probably should have worded it different shocks and struts are pretty much the same and they were developed for space saving. I don't want this to turn into some heated debate so i'll just bow out peacefully!
Old 07-10-11, 12:28 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Just get some OEM shocks, they are made by KYB.
Old 07-10-11, 10:33 PM
gnguru
Rookie

Default Which struts - that is the question????

Gosh I didn't mean to start WW III!! I guess I'd have to say that I'm just looking for as close to a stock ride as I can get. I don't race this car or drive it hard. I have other vehicles for that.. And Spooled, the OEM strut tops you're talking about. I assume that is something I have to get at the Lexus dealership - correct? Also, do I have to remove the brake calipers to install the new rear struts? Any help or advice is appreciated. I guess now it is either KYB or the Tokico from what I've heard so far. And Luxor, I don't like to buy anymore than I have to from the Lexus dealership as their prices are usually kind of steep.
Old 07-11-11, 09:58 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I´d go with the OEM KYB GR-2´s. I think that with only the shocks you´ll be fine.
Old 07-11-11, 12:59 PM
gnguru
Rookie

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
I´d go with the OEM KYB GR-2´s. I think that with only the shocks you´ll be fine.
When you say "with only the shocks I'll be fine" are you meaning that I don't need to replace the top brackets? Thanks
Old 07-11-11, 02:43 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Being that it is not a strut and there is no bearing in the top hat to go bad there is no real reason to change them unless the rubber is gone or rotted which is rare that that even happens.
Old 07-17-11, 02:16 AM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Being that it is not a strut and there is no bearing in the top hat to go bad there is no real reason to change them unless the rubber is gone or rotted which is rare that that even happens.
or the mere fact the rubber is 20yrs old and now would be the best time to change them. Kinda like installing a waterpump while doing a timing belt, even if it isnt leaking. Its something you do while you're in there. Just a thought. To each their own. But, yes that is a part you could get at Lexus.
Old 07-17-11, 04:17 PM
619Rider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buying replacements is a about a 100 bucks each plus tax, the if you buy the lowering springs... about 250.. just save a lil more and get some coilovers.
Old 07-18-11, 08:37 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Spooled
or the mere fact the rubber is 20yrs old and now would be the best time to change them. Kinda like installing a waterpump while doing a timing belt, even if it isnt leaking. Its something you do while you're in there. Just a thought. To each their own. But, yes that is a part you could get at Lexus.
It either works or it dosen't so if the rubber is intact with no dry rotting or tares then you would be silly to throw away 400.00 replacing a part that does not need replacing.

A quick visual inspection will tell you what shape they are in which usually they are good as they don't see sun light or much in the way of friction which is hardest on rubber.

Just make an educated descision, No need to over spend as money for sure does not grow on trees these days.
Old 07-19-11, 07:01 PM
boost2pt4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY kid thinks that daddy has a money tree. Dont I wish.LOL

Quick Reply: What brand new rear struts on '92 SC 400