Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Alignment Guru's Please Chime In...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 12:43 PM
djb5118
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Alignment Guru's Please Chime In...

To start, I am lowered on Swift springs and Koni Yellow shocks for the Supra TT. After having a god-awful alignment for a few months, I finally went to a different shop in my area to have the car looked at. From what I understand, my previous toe was WAY off, causing a bunch of wobbling in the rear end.

The shop was able to correct the toe issue, but as a result the camber was a bit off-spec. They mentioned something about the eccentric bolts being at their max setting to correct the camber, so there was very little adjustment left.

He mentioned that one way to rectify the problem would be to purchase the Battle Version toe and traction arms. That would fix the adjustment issue and allow me to run camber in-spec.

I'm not a fitment-obsessed car guy, and mostly would like my car to handle very well with as minimal tire wear issues as possible.

After searching around, it looks like the other option to fix the camber issue is the TM Engineering camber kit, but I haven't seen any around for sale on the net.

Is this suggestion of the toe and traction arms accurate? Are there any other options to correct this problem? Also, will these toe and traction arms improve my handling enough to be worth upwards of 700$ (including install and alignment)?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by djb5118; 06-30-10 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 02:09 PM
djb5118
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Turbo_LX
But if you're looking for adjustable control arms and what not.. I have these same ones and they work good for me.
http://www.more-japan.com/home.php?cat=1037
I think the Battle Version ones are very similar but a bit lower in price.

I just got off the phone with the shop again, and they mentioned that a lot of my stock bolts were seized and for a better long term option its best to do the arms.

Any ideas?
Old 06-30-10, 11:43 PM
BigWaveSC
Lead Lap

If the shop told you to get battle version arms, it sounds like they know what's going on. I would just do that. As for making your car handle better? They are going to make your rear end that much more solid and adjustable.
Old 07-01-10, 01:51 AM
FaLKoN300
Rookie

There is no cheap way to adjust rear camber for SC300 which is unfortunate.

However BV arms are a very good decision for rear toe adjustment. I may be picking up a pair in the near future. Alex is a cool dude.
Old 07-01-10, 05:50 AM
lisc300
Pole Position

I had the same issue when I put on my wheels. Honestly for a shop to give you that detailed advice I would have to think they are completely correct.
Old 07-01-10, 06:13 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BV toe and traction rods works just fine. good parts.

what is your current alignment situation? please provide a list for front and rear.

i would suggest you run somewhat modified settings if you want good handling, or at least better then stock.

stock camber setting are designed to provide max tire life and can hurt handling. stock toe in the front work ok. FSM recommends a little toe in. i do 0* toe because under load the wheel will toe out on its own with body roll. also tell the tech to try to pull as much caster out of the front as he can. getting max caster will reduce/change you camber a bit but it will be fine.

in the rear you have the same situation. as the front with respect to toe.

i dont know how low your car is. i never had stock supra suspension on mine. i did have tokico hp/eibach combo. it provided a slight drop and stock setting could still be maintained.

if you need new rear eccentric bolts i have the part numbers. when i did all my prothane bushings all my bolts were seized. i had to cut them out and buy new ones from toyota. at cost they were about 12 bucks each. you will need 4 max.

let me know if you need any more info.

this is my alignment specs:

front:
camber -2*
toe 0*
caster as much as tech can do without hurting camber(usually about 6*)

rear:
camber -2 to -2.5* (its high and eccentrics are maxed out. the car is slammed though. for track days i raise the car to get back in the high 1* range)
toe 0*
caster stock